SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

im running a shuttle atm, keen to do some fan upgrades on the old girl, cos my current summer beat the heat measure is to just take the cover off.

can u reccomend good fans for them seeing as u have done the leg work with R&D.

my biggest issue with the shuttle is i have shoehorned 4 HDD's into it lol... does not help with the heat

Sadly, you're pissing into the wind with shuttles

They had the right idea with their radiator being attached to the case but what you'll need to do is

a) reverse the flow of the fan so its sucking COLD air into the radiator rather than using the existing hot air and pushing it thru the radiator out the case

b) get a second fan so it runs in push/pull configuration

c) get an 80cm to 92cm adaptor if you can engineer it into the xpc

Ultimately, I got rid of shuttle for 2 reasons - crap customer support (mobo died, they wouldnt replace it under warranty because I'd modded the case - WTF. and they wouldnt let me buy a motherboard by itself either) as well as the fact once u put a beefy videocard in there, summer is almost impossible to keep it cool properly.

-D

Sadly, you're pissing into the wind with shuttles

They had the right idea with their radiator being attached to the case but what you'll need to do is

a) reverse the flow of the fan so its sucking COLD air into the radiator rather than using the existing hot air and pushing it thru the radiator out the case

b) get a second fan so it runs in push/pull configuration

c) get an 80cm to 92cm adaptor if you can engineer it into the xpc

Ultimately, I got rid of shuttle for 2 reasons - crap customer support (mobo died, they wouldnt replace it under warranty because I'd modded the case - WTF. and they wouldnt let me buy a motherboard by itself either) as well as the fact once u put a beefy videocard in there, summer is almost impossible to keep it cool properly.

-D

ahh kk, i'll put new fans in and reverse the flow when i get a sec.

my phone line had been dead for the last 2 weeks. prior to that i had so much noise on the line i had to drop my line profile to adsl1 high reliability to even connect, i finally sweet talked telstra into sending a tech (i had sussed it was not a cabling issue within the house by patching a pstn phone onto the lead in cable, therefore i wouldnt be charged a damn thing)

just did a speed test on the adsl 1 high reliability

1004620800.png

much better than the 400k my modem was synching at before the line died

will test again when i have gone back to adsl 2+ annex M high speed

:) :) :)

f**k me if Fallout: New Vegas isn't the most frustrating game ever!

Been waiting for the game for a year + - bought it yesterday retail, installed it and it is all working perfectly. Played 2 hours, quit out, do some work, then play again later for another 3 hours. Late last night start up the game to play some more and go to load my last save, and when it loads the game crashed to desktop and says "FalloutNV has stopped working" and that is it. Many people all over the net (not all) are having the same problem. I have tried a shit-ton of different things and none of them have worked.

Dying to play more of this awesome game (which has already been patched twice since it came out a few days ago), but it doesn't work. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating. :):D:)

f**k me if Fallout: New Vegas isn't the most frustrating game ever!

Been waiting for the game for a year + - bought it yesterday retail, installed it and it is all working perfectly. Played 2 hours, quit out, do some work, then play again later for another 3 hours. Late last night start up the game to play some more and go to load my last save, and when it loads the game crashed to desktop and says "FalloutNV has stopped working" and that is it. Many people all over the net (not all) are having the same problem. I have tried a shit-ton of different things and none of them have worked.

Dying to play more of this awesome game (which has already been patched twice since it came out a few days ago), but it doesn't work. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating. :P:):D

Nearly finished :) just to rub it in a little.

i hadn't managed to get TDU2 to load up kep saying no servers and now im away from state :P

i would of thought it was a gamepad game anyway

leave steering wheels for rFactor, GTR, EVO and the likes

i know this comes up a little for car parts but has anybody used an American website that ships internationally that you can either use CC or PayPal and is trustworthy

i know this comes up a little for car parts but has anybody used an American website that ships internationally that you can either use CC or PayPal and is trustworthy

I think Andrew mentioned someone in the US who shipped his Rims over for him, a few pages back in The Wasteland.

**EDIT** Was actually Brakes, and they were www.comgateway.com

yeah only as a last resort do i want to use a 3rd party

i found CompUSA will ship internationally but they only accept wire transfers then tack on a $25us surcharge then i imagine thy put a premium on for shipping and handling eating a lot of the savings

now is the right time to get a 6870 1gb from the states its just finding somewhere

seems that i can get a 6870 from HB outlet for $288 then what ever for shipping

unfortunately what i read is it has a be less performance than the 5870 hence the pricing structure but then it would have more performance than the 4850's and be a proper DX11 card

still trying to do some reading about benchmarks and stuff

hahahaha love garrys mod

I used www.comgateway.com to ship my brakes Steve - were VERY easy to get along with and have much cheaper shipping than I could find anywhere else - $24 for the 1st 0.5kg and $4 per 0.5 thereafter .... so a 4kg box only costs $52 for example. But the beauty is you can buy from various retailers and send them all to 'your'/their Oregon address and they repacked them all up into 1 shipment and save you heaps. When I buy my plenum spacer for the V35 it is light but big (so gets charged volumetrically instead of by weight) - so everything else they squeeze into that box (up to the appropriate volumetric weight) will be free shipping.

helping a friend of mine with a sick pc this weekend / on win vista. how the hell did microsoft get away with selling this f**king shambles of an OS...?

People say that, and yet I've never had any issues with it :P pebcak? whats he done/whats the problem with it?

given the hdd format, reinstalled clean copy of the os. runs fine first few times. throw in all the drivers, few reboots, good as gold. do a windows update - reboot, f**ked. master boot sector disappears. repair that with system recovery, back in as normal. go to install a few apps, windows installer now wont run. repair that, reboot, then i get the "no operating system" exists message / pc doesnt recognise the os.

and i've done this whole process with unsatisfactory results around 4 times now since thursday night.

so pebcak you reckon? do enlighten me with a solution Dunc...

i haven't started ruling out hardware (except the hdd) yet.

I would say your hard drive is failing. Run a Seatools on it and that should tell you.

werd, or a generic SMART tool - check to see if its throwing any flags. Doesnt sound like something the OS would do in my experience