SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

werd, or a generic SMART tool - check to see if its throwing any flags. Doesnt sound like something the OS would do in my experience

SMART may not be tripped, Seatools will tell you exactly what the issue is. ie, Overtemp, Bad Sectors, SMART, etc etc.

Well I got pissed off that Fallout: New Vegas stopped working on my PC, so decided to format. Added my 2nd SSD in RAID0 and reinstalled win7. Damn it's nice to have a clean install! And my New Vegas works now wooooooooooooooooooooooo :P

You want the version that boots from DOS, can generally find it on say Hiren's/Diamond Boot CD, but I think the bundled version may be out of date, you should be able to find a newer version somewhere. The newer version will tell you what is wrong, as it supports the newer hard drives. You can use an older version, but it will just say Overtemp if there is an issue with newer drives.

Well I got pissed off that Fallout: New Vegas stopped working on my PC, so decided to format. Added my 2nd SSD in RAID0 and reinstalled win7. Damn it's nice to have a clean install! And my New Vegas works now wooooooooooooooooooooooo biggrin.gif

Aren't you supposed to be doing reports!? :P

Well I got pissed off that Fallout: New Vegas stopped working on my PC, so decided to format. Added my 2nd SSD in RAID0 and reinstalled win7. Damn it's nice to have a clean install! And my New Vegas works now wooooooooooooooooooooooo :P

time to benchmark that new raid 0

would love to know how it compares to my internal raid 0 revodrive

-D

I would say your hard drive is failing. Run a Seatools on it and that should tell you.

Thanks for the replys Dunc & Abe; I have already run seatools though, hence the mention of:

i haven't started ruling out hardware (except the hdd) yet.

not my PC, but you know how it is, I want to give her the PC back running as it should.

Might still throw in a spare HDD that I have, and do a clean install there. Will also reseat & run a test on the memory.

cheers!

Are you running a hardware controller Andrew, or just software?

I'm going to be looking at upgrading mine to something a little larger with a sandforce 1200 controller soon. I'm tossing up whether to go for a raid0 setup or just a larger single. I was thinking that there might not be much advantage if I was just to use software raid rather than a hardware card since the read/writes are so fast anyway.

Bad news I'm afraid Aaron. Within days I accidentally knocked out one of the raid drive cables unknowingly while messing with another drive and it screwed up my array. So I spat it and am back to running Win7 on one 64Gb SSD and programs/some games off my other 64Gb SSD.

I WAS using a software onboard controller, hence the failed array when something tiny changed :D .... over a few brews at Renmark on the weekend Dohmar and jrm assured me that software raid is absolute shite and a hardware controller is the only way to go.

Had I realised what was going to happen I would have bought a 500Gb Seagate Hybrid drive and run all my Win7, program files and games off it. With 8Gb of system ram and the 8Gb SSD (in the Hybrid drive - with adaptive technology) I get the distinct impression that the vast majority of the time it would be as fast as my existing SSDs.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-au/products/laptops/laptop-hdd

My brother-in-law software raided 2 of the Momentus XTs in RAID1 and says it is the bomb. So now he has excellent performance and redundancy. IMHO that is the way to go.

That looks like a good option but I think i might go down the path of one single 120gb SSD as I already have ample storage.

What I've got ATM is 1x corsair x60 SSD, 2x 1TB raid0 and 1TB for a couple of backup images of both.

All i want is some more room to put my games/CAD/CAM on the SSD for some snappy loading

Yep sounds like a good plan then mate.

im going to buy an adaptec 3104 hardware raid card. max 8 drives but i'll only be running 4x 2tb drives in raid 6, for a total of 4tb actual storage.

run my tape drive, removable caddy, bluray drive and e-sata interfaces ran by the motherboard

-D

you can actually put them in your shopping basket as a UK item

from teh FAQ's on the site

How can I obtain products from foreign Steam Stores?

You cannot purchase anything in other Steam Stores than your own. Valve asks for billing adresses and the store software tests your statements! It checks your location (determined by your IP address) and complains if the country stated doesn't match, compares your location to the Credit Card's place of issue and also verifies the information given by PayPal if you choose that payment option.

Before you ask: Yes, there are ways to circumvent some of the queries, but we won't give any information on this. We don't want to be blamed if your account gets banned or locked.

The only legit way to obtain something from a foreign Steam Store is to get a gift.