SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

• 3 weeks later...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Limited Edition Gaming Eyewear Launched

Gunnar Optiks announced a licensed partnership with Activision Publishing to release the limited edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Gaming Eyewear. The exclusive Modern Warfare 3 design brings new form, function and style to GUNNAR’s existing line of Advanced Gaming Eyewear. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is scheduled to release worldwide on November 8th.

CallofDuty_eyewear_news.jpg

a little bit cool a little bit wank factor, my preference lies with BF3

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a brand new Intel socket 775 CPU cooler laying about that I can have? I used to have somes of them laying about from when I had built machines and put on aftermarket cooling, but I chucked them out a while back in a cleanup :( I need one asap.

Forever (well the life of the machine anyhow). If it's your only one and you want to keep a spare then keep it Steve. I was just hoping someone had a ton of them laying about, like I used to. I can get one for $8 delivered off Habibay, but don't really want to wait. I have now stolen one off another machine sitting here which has now got me out of trouble, but still need one to go back on the other machine now.

Anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

Having something of an interesting problem with my laptop at the moment.

Basically, after an hour of running, and I mean dead on an hour every time, clock speed snaps up to 100% and stays there until I power it down. Started a couple weeks ago, figured it was a virus of some description, but neither Symantec or Spybot found anything note worthy. Dropped it off at Luke's place to see if he could figure it out, couldn't replicate the problem, and it was left running over night and the next day. When I got it home, did it first time, disconnected my external HDD which we figured could be problem, still did it, took it to a friends place the next day for a Dexter marathon and it performed faultlessly.

Then when I got it home again, problems. Opened up Task Manager, and had a look around Resource Monitor, Internet Explorer, which I only ever used to download Firefox, and has been quite content to sit in the background ever since, is running up to 90% of available processing power, end process and everything returns to normal. But I basically have to do it every time it happens.

So my new problem is, uninstalling. How? It doesn't appear in Add/Remove, and I have a feeling just deleting the file won't quite cut it...

Your right deleting wouldn't cut it

Try downloading CC cleaner it comes with a bunch of cool stuff 2nd thing to uninstall would be nortons and get Avast or AVG

• 3 weeks later...

Quick warning to anyone considering buying an OCZ Revodrive Original or Revodrive x2

Had my 110gb Revodrive (PCI-E) SSD stuff up today. Its only 4 months old and is a replacement for a 50gb unit of the same make I had to RMA.

1st one developed sector and File table errors, 2nd one is suffering from the 2nd of the Raid0 mirros to disappear after several minutes of power.

Needless to say, I'm miffed. I have all my critical data on another array of drives, and I have a tape backup unit, but neither of those are suitable to be used to host an OS, so I'm back to my laptop until this gets resolved, or unless I can borrow a drive from work for the time being.

The X3's support TRIM - maybe this helps the first problem I had but the second one is obviously a hardware issue. And we're currently trialling OCZ SATA3 SSD's at work for the programmers to use (compiling source code uses a lot of IOPS's and the SSD's take 1/3rd of the time to compile as their HDD counterparts - the longevity of such devices remains to be seen...)

*sigh*

That aside, I'm going to get another video card, a bigger monitor, 2x2tb raid drives to expand my array and a copy of Battlefield 3 when its out. And more backup tapes for my pron important data...

-D

yeah i dont see the point paying over $40 more just for 3 DVD's and a box

True,and tbh computers and my job frustrate me to the point that I just cbf dealing with beta level software...

That and I work for a software company and I have a moral obligation to give the devs the money IF I like the product and want to keep it....

Bought WOW:BC, WOW:LK and WOW:Cataclysm, Doom3, Flashpoint: Dragon Rising amongst a few others... if the product is good, I'll buy it, but I download them first and try them... which some might label piracy, I call it 'tasting the fruit'

-D

• 3 weeks later...

I need a Toshiba laptop charger asap, wheres the best place? Or if someone has one they want to sell me thatd be great, I get 45 mins for lunch to cant venture too far outside of Wingfield!

Work laptop has shit itself.

Go to start it up and when it's meant to go to the start up screen, I get nothing, just black.

Said something about DST error and what not but daylight savings time shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Guessing the HDD shit itself or something?

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of Windows Vista for free?

Don't have a copy on disk here and I'm in the the middle of the desert so no chance of running down the shops for one.

Edited by Import S13