SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

interesting Matthew that the Q6600 with less speed still beats the newer CPU with more speed so one might guess its all the cache the Q6600 has

yeah i might uninstall FF

I would agree.. the old AMD budget cpus were full fledged rigs just minus cache and limited them severely. I spose yours being quad core and mine being dual your advantage in the memory stakes is cache.

BTW I just ran 3dmark06 with it at 4ghz as on the previous everest stats and improved the score to 16423 not a bad jump for no money.

nice what gfx is that with

Thats with an ATI 4870 512.. almost bought a 4870 x2 on sunday to add to it but really need to buy those coil packs lol.. stag come first... sometimes.

That 4ghz is on air cooling too... mind you it only just squeezes into the case height wise

Edited by Stagstock

ah nice i just booted back into win7 and FF works :D

running @ 3.4ghz benched 3d mark 06 and score another 2k on previous score, took a few goes to get it to book properly had to lower the FSB each time

>>14278 ORB<<

cachemem3.png

super Pi not that much different @ 15.332 Checksum: 01D34DA9

will edit with CSS frames

CSS saw a healthy jump in FPS from

Pass 2 251.98 - fps_max 400

Pass 3 256.88 - fps_max 600

Pass 4 244.08 - firefox open in the back ground

TOO

Pass 1 276.68 - fps_max 700

Pass 2 277.29 - fps_max 700

I cant get 3DMark06 to work... it just doesnt get past the loading screen. Updated graphics card drivers to latest and still nothing.

Weird - mine too! Exact same problem

cachemem3.png

Play with the DRAM:FSB ratio (should be called 'Strap' in BIOS) so you can push your memory bus up without affecting the CPU speed or actual FSB because it only affects the memory bus. It will bench much harder :(

BTW I just ran 3dmark06 with it at 4ghz as on the previous everest stats and improved the score to 16423 not a bad jump for no money.
What's your GPU clock & memory clock cos the score looks higher than norm for stock HD4870 512Mb (ie. 750Mhz/900Mhz)
running @ 3.4ghz benched 3d mark 06 and score another 2k on previous score, took a few goes to get it to book properly had to lower the FSB each time
Nice job...now run Linpack to see how stable it is :(

I might get back to O/C since winter is arriving...in summer I managed the E8400 (E0) @ 4.46ghz (496x9) with 1.49vcore aircooled, any higher it would crash if I tried starting up in standby mode. Also, main restriction is the mobo as it struggles to handle FSB higher than 525-530 so theoretically ~4.8Ghz (530x9) would be it's limit.

What's your GPU clock & memory clock cos the score looks higher than norm for stock HD4870 512Mb (ie. 750Mhz/900Mhz)

790/1100 with the gpu fan on 100%

I might get back to O/C since winter is arriving...in summer I managed the E8400 (E0) @ 4.46ghz (496x9) with 1.49vcore aircooled, any higher it would crash if I tried starting up in standby mode. Also, main restriction is the mobo as it struggles to handle FSB higher than 525-530 so theoretically ~4.8Ghz (530x9) would be it's limit.

The beauty of the dual cores :) 525-530 is f**kin' decent, what motherboard?

My Q6600 hits FSB wall at around 460-470FSB even when I drop the multiplier to 7 :D I think the sweet spot for the Q6600's is multiplier at 8 and use the CPU Strap to raise the memory bus.

Yeah the Wolfdale processor are great that way. mobo is a Gigabyte EP45 DS3R, performs almost on par with the EP45-extreme and only lacks the bigger NB and SB heatsinks.

Can't believe even after 2+yrs when it comes to o/c and performance the Q6600 is still prob one of the best bang for your $$.

Those P45 boards were great value. So long as you keep air flowing over those heatsinks you shouldn't have a problem..... I hope Gigabyte did a better job of mounting those heatsinks than ASUS did on mine!!!

One day I'll pull my NB/SB heatsinks and reseat them, probably my only gripe with my Maximus Formula SE board I must admit.

Air flow is no problem, have the HAF 932 w/ hi-flow aftermarket fans

Same, airflow not a problem. I have Noctua NF-P12 fans in my Silverstone TJ09 case and everything is fine even whilst OC'ed except the NB/SB.

Speaking of Q6600s

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=270385607480

And while I am shamelessly plugging my Habibay auctions, anyone want a nice PCI-e 7600GT?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=270385625022

I will have a PCI-e Asus EAH3850 256Mb DDR3 Video card $120 for sale shortly too if anyone has an eoi.

I will also shortly have a 320Gb WD SATA HDD $40, 400Gb WD SATA HDD $50 and a 500Gb WD SATA HDD $60 for sale soon if anyone wants some storage.

what you mean when i comes out tomorrow Helso already has it

i too had one of the early versions of the RC, got it on april 2.

there is a newer publicly available RC out now on the m$oft website

whats that FF add-on that saves all ur other add-ons to a remote server?

dunno but i need that addon i just spent 10mins googling addons

RC1 took ages to installed but i was in the shower not watching it :P