not sure eh, but I can guarantee you theyre not using any of the following

a) external hdd's

b) raid arrays

c) floppy discs

d) usb flash sticks

e) solid state drives

f) removable disk caddies

g) blue ray

and you're comparing my needs to google. I'm flattered but the argument is seriously invalid ;P

-D

whilst its been fun Ben i think ill stop stiring the pot lets agree to disagree

Yep. We can agree on that article tho. they dont use any of the above

What google is doing is a meta-cluster

beowulf clusters were the norm but google have their own system and protocol. each machine functions like a hdd functions in a raid10. its just a simple block in a huge ass mainframe spread over a google cluster

best thing about these clusters is that they dont need fast hard drives, fast cpus, fast raid controllers, memory or any such thing. by dint of their number, they have a stupendous amount of bandwidth and that overrides anything a single computer can advance

-D

Damn it! ;)

Service Status as at: Sat Aug 1 2009

Service Details up to 20 Mbits/sec, 10000 MB per Month

Service Type Home ADSL

Line Number 08852XXXXX

Initial Data Entry Date Mon Jul 27 2009

Overall Status Service Retired

Detailed Status: Cancelled: Service order rejected by Carrier or previously cancelled

Carrier Advice ADSL New Request Rejected - Telstra have withdrawn the order

Carrier for ADSL Port: Telstra

Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered the first stage of my PC upgrade...

Settled on the following :

Intel i7 920 CPU

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard

OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 12GB Memory Kit

Powercolor 4890 1GB PCIe Videocard

OCZ GameXStream 850W SLI Power Supply

Coolermaster V8 CPU Heatsink + lga1366 Bracket

wasnt particularly cheap, just a tad over $1800... going to upgrade to the dual raid0 ssd's like luke suggested but probably not until oct22 (when I can score win7 oem at the same time)... should also be able to overclock the cpu to 3.8ghz up from the stock 2.26 with those particular components (and the heatsink is bloody massive)

still got monitor, keyboard, terabyte hdd's, headset mic, etc etc to go but that can wait till I need to upgrade.

Cant wait for the postie this week

-D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys Ive got a small problem with my notebook, and just thought I would ask incase any of you have an idea. Its a Acer Aspire notebook ~3 months old running Vista Premium and Realtek HD Audio.

Yesterday I went to watch a youtube video to discover I had no sound. I noticed there was no audio icon in the system tray, so I restarted it just incase the process was stopped or whatever. Still no sound. I went in to control panel, clicked on sounds and it said Rundll32 has stopped working check online/close yada yada yada. If I click on the Realtek HD Audio Manager in Control Panel nothing happens. I uninstalled the Realtek application and reinstalled the application and drivers again with a fresh copy from the Acer website. Same thing. I have manually searched for the drivers in device manager and have got them to install the correct drivers but still not working. Then I got more drivers from the Realtek website and exactly the same thing. No sound, cant go into Sounds in Control Panel (Rundll32 has stopped working), Realtek HD Audio Manager in Control Panel doesnt open. I have googled, googled and googled but cant seem to find an answer for my issue... :)

Have you removed the Sound card completely from Computer Management section? Then reboot and let it find all the new hardware.

Rundll32 is linked to like... everything. Including your dishwasher.

I'm not good with Vista, though.

Tried that, still no good :)

Cheers for the reply though :)

I rekon I'm just gonna run the recovery thingo and start again lol

No I havent touched the BIOS. like I said it was fine one day, no good the next. I ran system restore (not that I expected it to work) back to a couple of days ago but still got the rundll32 error. I think I will just backup all my stuff, and reinstall vista.

f***en.

Thanks for the replies though guys.

The Vista CD doesn't come with a quick repair option? Boot via CD and press R or whatever the key is?

It just restores the key files but keeps your created files.

Well I dont have actual Vista CD, just the recovery discs that came with the notebook. A partial recovery (or whatever they call it) transfers user files to a directory and erases everything else as far as I can see, so I might aswell start again fresh.

For all you SSD freaks out there...........think I'll go a pair of Super Talents or OCZ's in Raid 0 for my OS......they seem to be reliable enough.

The OCZ's are awesome

Windows 7 is going to flog a raid0 array

-D

Tried that, still no good :D

Cheers for the reply though :D

I rekon I'm just gonna run the recovery thingo and start again lol

How bout a system restore longer than a few days?

Scanned for any viruses?