SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me what's a semi-decent free AV and firewall combo these days? Going on my old laptop with XP Pro...

Microsoft Security Essentials FTW. Works well, updates automatically and uses almost no resources at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

anyone got GTA 4 Steam Files???

cbf downloading 15gb haha

I dont have it on Steam, but if you know someone that has the PC version you can install it off of their Disc, and copy the install folder into you steam/steamapps/common folder (while steam is closed). Open Steam once copy has finished, and you may have to download 500mb, and your done...i just did that with Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box and it worked fine.

Microsoft Security Essentials FTW. Works well, updates automatically and uses almost no resources at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Hard to believe that is true isn't it...but it is according to this

Hard to believe that is true isn't it...but it is according to this

It really is a neat program, I've been using it for months now and I've never had a problem with it, and it's always detected all kinds of malware I may have accidentally downloaded. Perfornace-wise, it's so good, it even works great on my parents' 8 year old Windows XP computer!

im silly enough to try it :woot: been running my win7 with nothing since i installed it :D

does it stop virus's too or just malware upon initial installing it looks like its defenders replacement

im silly enough to try it :woot: been running my win7 with nothing since i installed it :D

does it stop virus's too or just malware upon initial installing it looks like its defenders replacement

would be good if it could do the job with one single program and no 10%+ cpu use like norton shite

let us know what u think. currently have avast on here which is ok

-D

Viruses and spy/malware. Make sure you get the right version, 64 or 32 bit.

would be good if it could do the job with one single program and no 10%+ cpu use like norton shite

let us know what u think. currently have avast on here which is ok

-D

Norton Antivirus CE is where it's at, low resource use

Norton Antivirus CE is where it's at, low resource use

probably means its just not doing its job

ive never seen a norton AV product that i've liked, theyve all been pretty hefty on the cpu usage, or poorly designed with viruses that takes advantages over norton induced backdoors, or it corrupts itself and the tcp/ip stack requiring a reinstall...

only reason people use that shit is cause its pre-loaded and theyre generally too lazy to upgrade to something decent ;| and because its pre-loaded with security flaws, its a prime target for enterprising hackers

norton ghost, disc doctor, windoctor and speedisk are good norton products, its just a shame they cant make a decent AV

-D

ive never seen a norton AV product that i've liked, theyve all been pretty hefty on the cpu usage, or poorly designed with viruses that takes advantages over norton induced backdoors, or it corrupts itself and the tcp/ip stack requiring a reinstall...

only reason people use that shit is cause its pre-loaded and theyre generally too lazy to upgrade to something decent ;| and because its pre-loaded with security flaws, its a prime target for enterprising hackers

norton ghost, disc doctor, windoctor and speedisk are good norton products, its just a shame they cant make a decent AV

-D

and you call yourself an IT expert :/

back in the day Norton used to be the best but then he later sold it to symantec and it turned to a process hog that really in todays language is a virus itself once you install it you cant uninstall with without a special uninstall tool

I personally wouldn't touch anything Norton. If I had to pick one it would have to be ESET Smart Security Suite 4.X.X without question

AVG Free 9.X.X works really well with Win 7 in my experience

and you call yourself an IT expert :/

It does happen to be my day job Steve. Unlike a lot of so called 'experts' I have the qualifications and 15 years professional experience to back it up.

back in the day Norton used to be the best but then he later sold it to symantec and it turned to a process hog that really in todays language is a virus itself once you install it you cant uninstall with without a special uninstall tool

Back in the day... We're talking 20 years here, back we we used to run command line AV scanners and TSRs upon a DOS boot. Peter Norton hasnt been involved for the last 2 decades, so I stand by my statement that they (Symantec and ergo Norton) cannot make a decent AV.

-D

-D

Or maybe it means it's actually good, just cos it isn't a resource hog doesn't mean it's not good; it just means its optimised and coded properly. A corporate environment requires it to be fast and bloat free or else it wouldn't be used. Hows about you try it before you knock it? It's not your average Joe antivirus that Dell or HP preload on their turd PC's and give to consumers

Or maybe it means it's actually good, just cos it isn't a resource hog doesn't mean it's not good; it just means its optimised and coded properly. A corporate environment requires it to be fast and bloat free or else it wouldn't be used. Hows about you try it before you knock it? It's not your average Joe antivirus that Dell or HP preload on their turd PC's and give to consumers

My clients have used it before and its been an utter POS - like steve said, there are times when norton becomes a virus itself, with backdoors and buffer exploits that get taken advantage of by those who write malware. Conversely, just because its not a resource hog, doesnt mean that it actually has a thorough scanning engine - McAfee used to have that problem on their consumer level software up until 3-4 years ago, however now McAfee and Trend Micro (as well as CA -Etrust which ironically is also owned by Symantec) are currently the major corporate AV's in use, generally because people do not trust Norton branded AV's based upon their shoddy consumer level software.

I will however point out that my criticism for norton is solely based around their consumer rather than corporate software, however actually having seen the corporate edition I can't actually say that I'd trust it further than I could throw the box it comes in.

-D

you used the term Never meaning period i was just clarifying that in its heyday norton was the best

considering hardware doubles every year and software is superseeded every 2-3, I hardly think quoting something from 2 decades ago is very relevant ;P Thats like saying dos 6.2 is a totally awesome operating system ;P

-D

My clients have used it before and its been an utter POS - like steve said, there are times when norton becomes a virus itself, with backdoors and buffer exploits that get taken advantage of by those who write malware. Conversely, just because its not a resource hog, doesnt mean that it actually has a thorough scanning engine - McAfee used to have that problem on their consumer level software up until 3-4 years ago, however now McAfee and Trend Micro (as well as CA -Etrust which ironically is also owned by Symantec) are currently the major corporate AV's in use, generally because people do not trust Norton branded AV's based upon their shoddy consumer level software.

I will however point out that my criticism for norton is solely based around their consumer rather than corporate software, however actually having seen the corporate edition I can't actually say that I'd trust it further than I could throw the box it comes in.

-D

Ok