SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

do you have an shdsl service? that is some pretty epic speed

SHDSL is only 2.3Mbps (with one pair anyway), you'd have to multiplex a number of them to get more - and even that wouldn't hit 50Mbps ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Most 4870 cards are a bit noisy, trying to keep my system as quiet as possible. 2 4870's also give more performance than one 5870 so worth the relatively small investment

5850 would be good enough by itself, but don't really want to spend that much. 4800 & 5800 series cards are also not compatible:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/images/c...combo_chart.jpg

didnt realise they weren't compatible

trying to find a review of the 5870 against a CF 4870 might have to look later

what type of motherboard have you got i did read that if its a 16x/4x you might be better off with 1x 5870 but there like $600

Running a Core i7 920 clocked at 3.2GHz on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard. Can run 2 cards at full 16x speed.

If I end up making the jump to a 5870 it won't be until they have halved in price. Not going to happen for a while though, especially since Nvidia is yet to release their competitor. I have a feeling they've been caught with their pants down & weren't expecting ATi to improve as much as it has in the last couple years. Either that or they're looking to make something that will totally dominate, though they may run out of development funds if they don't look out.....

imo ATi will bring a 5990 out soon after the fermi to try and keep a wrangle hold on the market may work it may not i dont know much about Nvidia as they dont hold my interest

that board is pretty nice 3 way CrossfireX or SLI 2 @ 16x and 1 @ 8x

so its the **70 series or nothing you wouldnt consider 5850's i run 2x 4850's in a OC Q6600 and score 18k in 3dmark 06

>>3d mark 06 18916<<

back when i tried a 7800GTX it didnt perform up to the hype and i stuck with ATi

>>3dmark 06 7800gtx 4069<<

>>3dmark 06 x1900xtx 4990<<

Actually for 3 way SLI it works out to be 16x8x8. It splits the second lot of 16 lanes over the lower 2 cards in 3 way SLI. Completely useless though unless you happen to own a super expensive hi-res +30 inch monitor. 2 slots is pleanty :cheers:

2x 5850's would be awsome, but still rather pricey at the moment & a bit overkill IMO. If I can get a second one of these cards it will be by far the best bang for my buck at the moment, just going to have to keep an eye out.

2x 4850's should see some pretty good performance, probably starting to push the limit of your CPU.

yeah 1ghz OC is enough

i didnt read that mobo as that but you would know i only read the stats page from gigabyte

yeah i think 2x 5850 is like one 5870 prolly a little more for the 2x 5850 dont look @ prices or ill want a new system and mine is good enough