SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Built a nice system at work the other day;

Intel 980X

Intel 60gb SSD

8gb DDR3 2000MHZ Ram

Takes 50 seconds to post, and then 10 seconds to loads Windows 7.

50 seconds to post? turn all the shit off that u dont need to use ;P

-D

unfortunately, no TRIM functionality whenn SSD's are in RAID 0...but even 1x SSD kicks the butt of a couple SATA's in RAID 0

pretty sure some SSD's have internal Raid 0 stripes with hardware TRIM - get two of those in series and u wont need to worry too much out wear levelling

in addition to that, slashdot did a series of benchmarks at some stage and they estimated that even the worst SSD for levelling won't have issues until its at least 5 year old (conservative) if not 10 (optimistic) - most peoples computers dont even last that long

if i can find it, ill post it up. also had some neat benchmarks comparing the IBM x25 series vs the OCZ and G.Skill brands - and there wasnt as big a difference as the price tag makes out...

-D

50 seconds to post? turn all the shit off that u dont need to use ;P

-D

^^^ I assume you mean 5 seconds to post Abe?!

Nope, 50 Seconds. GPU Post, Mobo Post, and that was with a Bios that had the unwanted features disabled, higher end motherboard, so heaps of features you can't disable too.

Nope, 50 Seconds. GPU Post, Mobo Post, and that was with a Bios that had the unwanted features disabled, higher end motherboard, so heaps of features you can't disable too.

When you say higher end, are you talking Intel ?

-D

Mini itx Case and unusal case, (just for the BLOKE in you)

hey guy selling some thing a bit different....put it in here... if not approperate please delete...;)

built it a lil while back, had it on my desk, now i have no room for it....

makes a great down load cop and an awesome talking point....

Its my 1/10 scale 1968 skyline PCG-10 computer.....

180w power supply, i was using a 1/2 3.5' 160 gb hard drive with a intel atom 1.6 mini itx ( this mobo and hdd) is not for sale...

IT will come with GA-PCV2 mother board ( these board happly with win xp when 512-1gb ram is installed) ....and a spare power supply aswell

not seperating... sorry guys...

lots of time and effort went into it, and made a great lil surfing machine for in the lounge using a wireless keyboard and mouse... and a great way to keep the wife happy " when she says , i dont want a computer in the longe".....lol

starting the reserve at $120....

SANY0609.jpg

SANY0604.jpg

SANY0601.jpg

SANY0596.jpg

SANY0603.jpg

SANY0600.jpg

SANY0597.jpg

Edited by 66 skyline gt

hey guy selling some thing a bit different....put it in here... if not approperate please delete...;)

180w power supply, i was using a 1/2 3.5' 160 gb hard drive with a intel atom 1.6 mini itx ( this mobo and hdd) is not for sale...

IT will come with GA-PCV2 mother board ( these board happly with win xp when 512-1gb ram is installed) ....and a spare power supply aswell

lots of time and effort went into it, and made a great lil surfing machine for in the lounge using a wireless keyboard and mouse... and a great way to keep the wife happy " when she says , i dont want a computer in the longe".....lol

lol thats awesome pete... I love creative case mods... $120 is a bargain too

-D

hey guy selling some thing a bit different....put it in here... if not approperate please delete...:)

That’s really cool! Love it! I haven’t seen anything like it before.

hi all.just wondering what you all use as a media player on ur PC?

i use VLC, love the layout and most things about it. the issue i have is it freezes over the lan, and also on my desktop... i have used the googleizer and tried the things suggested there, increasing the buffer helped a lot, but i still get the freezes :P

in the past i was a big fan of media player classic, but i find the playlist a bit clunky so i have been persisting with VLC.

does anyone out there use anything else that is worth a shot?

...::edit::...

my os is win 7 ultimate

hi all... looks like this was sorted by either the new release of VLC or fixed thanks to patch tuesday last week... has held up fine since both of those things that were done on the same day.

i would have liked to know what it was tho :ermm:

well now on the internode SOHO plans, when u get shaped ur d/l goes down to 512/kb/s and the upload is not shaped :P:):banana:

and of course like any self respecting ISP upload does not count.

thinking of hosting a couple games now n then, and also having an FTP server to share all my media to my mates.

you can host Rfactor and you dont even have to purchase the game :P only helps people with the game :banana: :banana:

i actually signed up for a Real Time Racer beta and there is a comp to skin a car and win a game seat :)

http://www.real-timeracing.com/yaf/forum.a...osts&t=1285

although i suck @ skinning im giving it a shot

we are in the middle of swapping plans to bigpond 25gb plan (from a lower gb cap bigpond plan). Is it normal to experience dial-up like speeds during transfer?

You shouldn’t have any speed change (unless you are downgrading your plan’s speed of course). The upgrade usually happens at midnight as that is when account plan changes are processed. Have you power cycled your modem/ other network equipment to ensure any changes are recognised?