SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

All you have to do is buy a copy on US Ebay and have it shipped here .... too easy. Or better yet, the gay classification (or lack thereof) makes it almost legitimate for us to pirate/torrent the game, as it is not actually for sale here.

• Like 3

OK all you PC Geeks......I'm in big trouble.

The HDD in my main work PC just died.............10mth old A-Ram SSD HDD 200Gb.

Comes up with a disk error and no other PC in the house will see the drive either.

Anyone here ever been able to recover info from an SSD before?

Most things were backed up but there are approx 3 days of reports and my emails that I need tio get back.

HELP!!

OK all you PC Geeks......I'm in big trouble.

The HDD in my main work PC just died.............10mth old A-Ram SSD HDD 200Gb.

Comes up with a disk error and no other PC in the house will see the drive either.

Anyone here ever been able to recover info from an SSD before?

Most things were backed up but there are approx 3 days of reports and my emails that I need tio get back.

HELP!!

It depends how cactus the drive is - you're saying the PC can't see it, I'm assuming you mean Windows but can the BIOS see the drive?

Can Windows detect the physical hardware but not display a partition, or can it see a partition but not be able to mount it to a drive letter.

What you need is a bootable copy of windows from a usb drive with a copy of getbackdata and a partition recovery, so it can see what's gone wrong.

If the BIOS cannot see the drive, I'm afraid you're out of luck (at least DIY) - if its very important you can send it to melbourne for data recovery but that isnt cheap.

And there is a very very slight chance that the manufacturer will simply swap the logic board out of the ssd and leave your memory intact - unlikely tho

-D

sorry Ben, I should've clarified the situation.............the bios does not even begin to recognize the drive, hence why I said I'm in big trouble.

Gets worse though, the drive can't leave my sight (let alone go to Melbourne) because of sensitive info on it re WorkCover and Motor Accident Commission confidentiality agreements that I've signed relating to all my stored data :/

sorry Ben, I should've clarified the situation.............the bios does not even begin to recognize the drive, hence why I said I'm in big trouble.

Gets worse though, the drive can't leave my sight (let alone go to Melbourne) because of sensitive info on it re WorkCover and Motor Accident Commission confidentiality agreements that I've signed relating to all my stored data :/

Ill give you a call on Monday Pete when I get some info from work. We have to go to great lengths to destroy our drives at work for a similar reason, and I believe work may have a firm that can do confidential recovery (it gets put in a coded box and sent via secure van to the destination) if thats what you're worried about

-D

yeah correct.

If that's a possible scenario, cost won't matter.........I'll wait for your call Monday.

I'm guessing that even though it's under warranty, the suppliers are gonna want it back before replacing it (which is obviously not gonna happen) so I may be footing the bill for another one out of my own pocket.....this drive cost me $750!!!!pinch.gif

yeah correct.

If that's a possible scenario, cost won't matter.........I'll wait for your call Monday.

I'm guessing that even though it's under warranty, the suppliers are gonna want it back before replacing it (which is obviously not gonna happen) so I may be footing the bill for another one out of my own pocket.....this drive cost me $750!!!!pinch.gif

TBH I've never heard of A-Ram ;\ that in itself would steer me to IBM or OCZ or one of the more well known companies

Data recovery for an ssd would be easier than a hdd I would imagine, however it'll still be $500+ to get it done I'm guessing

Incidentally, just cause the BIOS cant see the hdd, doesnt mean the OS cant. Linux in particular ignores the bios and initializes the hdd controllers directly. Can you download and burn a linux based data recovery boot cd and give that a go?

-D

Yeah unfortunately I don't have the time or the motivation to do the Linux thing at the moment....I'll see what the suppliers offer me Monday.

Steve Madaz also referred me to Inspecor Gadget who's prepared to give it a go if the supplier can't/won't help.

My OCZ Vertex shat itself the other week too, got some data I want off there also but I can't recognize it in the BIOS either. There's a jumper to put it in engineering mode which works however you can't access the data on the drive. Still not sure on my options, what's the place in Melbourne called Ben?

Get this, I just got a phone call on my home phone from an indian guy that says he works for http://www.secureallpc.com/index.php - took me awhile to understand WTF he was on about... he reckons he works for that company and is calling on behalf of Microsoft to call up people who are using Windows to rectify some problem that requires me doing what he says(hold windows key press r blah blah blah that's as far as he got before I hung up). He said he got my home phone number through a survey - 1) I don't do surveys and 2) I don't use my home phone number for ANYTHING!

So WTF scam could that possibly be about? :blink:

holding the windows key and R will open run dialogue box there he would get you to type CMD or Command

then he will get you to type a command that will either show directory (/dir) or something else then he will try to convince you what your looking @ is virus's and for a small fee he can remove all your virus's whilst probably loading a back door on