SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Thanks guys.

Madaz the stock speed is 3ghz. I did overclock it a bit once but put it back as it wasn't really needed.

Looks like I'll be grabbing that video card after I get back from E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I run my Quad core AMD 965 @ 3.825Ghz all day every day (it was 3.4Ghz stock) - but I have taken it to 4.3Ghz (it is water cooled) ... temps went a bit high when playing Crysis 2 at full res though, so turned it down. TBH the performance benefit of 4.3Ghz over 3.825Ghz is negligible anyhow. And my dual 64Gb SSDs are not a choking point either.

Yeah I run my Quad core AMD 965 @ 3.825Ghz all day every day (it was 3.4Ghz stock) - but I have taken it to 4.3Ghz (it is water cooled) ... temps went a bit high when playing Crysis 2 at full res though, so turned it down. TBH the performance benefit of 4.3Ghz over 3.825Ghz is negligible anyhow. And my dual 64Gb SSDs are not a choking point either.

I've sent my OCZ revodrive back. Kept corrupting the partition every time it would shut down. Something seriously wrong there. Hopefully they give me an upgrade once its verified faulty

-D

Wow that sucks Ben. I seriously thought about buying one for a decent clients machine I was building around that time, but ended up erring on the side of caution. The lack of TRIM support had me worried.

Hope yours gets replaced with the upgraded version with TRIM and idle garbage collection support.

I had a 200Gb A-Ram SSD with Sandforce Controller that shit itself after 10 mths in my office machine....................they've got a long way to go with these new drives cause I've never had a SATA or even an Eide drive die on me since Win95 1st Edition

Wow that sucks Ben. I seriously thought about buying one for a decent clients machine I was building around that time, but ended up erring on the side of caution. The lack of TRIM support had me worried.

Hope yours gets replaced with the upgraded version with TRIM and idle garbage collection support.

This one doesn't have anything to do with TRIM or the garbage collection

Rather, its still writing data when the motherboard powers down - either the drive or Win7's handling of the shutdown procedure is bunk.

The x2 drives are a significant improvement - theyre also significantly more expensive. I doubt I'll be given one of those

-D

Sled, once you get it all sorted with that drive might pay to buy a couple of 1TB drives put them in raid 1 for backup. Will only cost you a couple of hundred to set up.

Aaron, I've got a couple of back ups now............ but I'm a sucker for Striping (0) as opposed to Mirror

Stripe the C: with SSD's

Raid5 the D: with 2tb WD Blacks

-D

You don't want to stripe, if one goes you'll lose both, doubling your chance of failure. Mirror with 2 disks or RAID5 with three disks is good for backups, both options have 1 disk of redundancy with RAID5 giving a performance increase. Raid0 is only for going fast and for anything you don't want to keep.

If your data is really important, get a docking station for a HDD and back up onto a 2TB drive and then unplug it and put it in your safe. Raid is good if a disk dies but if you get a virus or accidentally delete something you're still screwed. Having the drive unplugged also protects you from stuff like power surges, theft and system malfunction.

You don't want to stripe, if one goes you'll lose both, doubling your chance of failure. Mirror with 2 disks or RAID5 with three disks is good for backups, both options have 1 disk of redundancy with RAID5 giving a performance increase. Raid0 is only for going fast and for anything you don't want to keep.

If your data is really important, get a docking station for a HDD and back up onto a 2TB drive and then unplug it and put it in your safe. Raid is good if a disk dies but if you get a virus or accidentally delete something you're still screwed. Having the drive unplugged also protects you from stuff like power surges, theft and system malfunction.

striping is fine for operating system data, esp when you have the MBTF of a modern SSD

Eg Revodrives are internally raid 0 to get their 540MB per second reads

-D

All good points, personally what I would do is if you don't have a huge amount of important data to back up is do this.

Stripe 2 or 3 High performance disks together, and then have another 2Tb backup drive. Now you could mirror to the 2TB, but most the time half your data you don't care about, so do what I do and every night backup all your documents and settings folder, desktop, my docs and any other important data etc. That way if you lose a disk you just format and copy your data back. If you can afford it do a mirror as well but often it is unnecessary. I don't run a stripe, but I do the same thing in principle with my drives.

I have about 5 disks, I backup everything important from one disk to another disk each night, assuming I only get one disk failing at any time, I don't lose any data. I also backup to dropbox, and then via dropbox to my work PC.

Edited by Rolls

Stripe 2 or 3 High performance disks together, and then have another 2Tb backup drive.

Or buy an LTO tape backup like I did for the real important shit ;)

-D

• 1 month later...

hey guys, good to see this thread is somewhat still active.

Kralster get back from E3 trip? How was it, I watched it live and thinking about going there next year.

And have any of you guys heard about the new tech scheduled for later this year from AMD and ATI? I am building a PC around october and still unsure whether to grab a 590 or 2x580s and have not heard anything ATI has to offer.

thats still 4 months away anything could happen

i just bought myself a 6950 1gb very happy with it and it performs better than my crossfire setup of 2x 48501gb's

hey guys, good to see this thread is somewhat still active.

Kralster get back from E3 trip? How was it, I watched it live and thinking about going there next year.

And have any of you guys heard about the new tech scheduled for later this year from AMD and ATI? I am building a PC around october and still unsure whether to grab a 590 or 2x580s and have not heard anything ATI has to offer.

That guy is still around? :blink: