SAU Community

Crank Pulley Problem

hello

im having a problem with my r32 gtr

ive got the crank pulley bolt undone, but now i cant actually get the pulley to come off.

ive been trying to use a 3 jaw gear puller to remove it, but its not working.

can anyone help me with a solution for how to get this thing off.

thanks

go to supercheap or wherever they sell car parts and get a harmonic balancer puller. on my car i ive got 2 holes to fit 10mm bolts, im not sure if its the same with the 32gtr.

if its the same, get 2 high tensile 10mm bolts and put some washers on them so they dont fall through. tighten the 10mm bolts onto your balancer through the balancer puller, then start to tighten the balancer puller bolt.

it should come off pretty easily.

go to supercheap or wherever they sell car parts and get a harmonic balancer puller. on my car i ive got 2 holes to fit 10mm bolts, im not sure if its the same with the 32gtr.

if its the same, get 2 high tensile 10mm bolts and put some washers on them so they dont fall through. tighten the 10mm bolts onto your balancer through the balancer puller, then start to tighten the balancer puller bolt.

it should come off pretty easily.

Mine had chattered itself on.....took a hydraulic jobbie to get it off.....had to remove radiator, intercooler, oil cooler and front bar to get it off. Im pretty sure the factory holes are an M6 thread (read way too f*cken small)

the lower timing belt gear wasnt that bad. i used a long screw driver and levered it off evenly (making sure it lined up with the half moon thingos).

the only reason i did that was because my oil pump was screwed, i didnt really care about damaging it. i didnt put much pressure on it but there is still a chance of damaging it doing it that way.

thanks for your help!

at the moment i have some parts removed so i can get access to the pulley, eg air cond, radiator, so it wouldnt be that much effort to take the cooler and front bar off now.

there are two bolt holes on the front of the pulley, but someone else has tried to get this pulley off i guess, and now those holes have bolts in them, but the heads of the bolts are broken off, so i cant take them out anyway.

i am begining to think that maybe a hydraulic puller is needed, because it seems this pulley has welded itself to the crank!

also ive been told there is come spray called kroli that may be able to help loosen it, then heat the pulley up, then use the puller to remove it. im not so sure about heating it up, because i dont wanna damage the timing belt.

please keep posting any ideas you have on this matter, it is very helpful for me!!!!

thankyou!

thats the exact reason why you need high tensile bolts.

im sure you can use that tool that gets stripped bolt heads off (i cant remember the name, ive gone completely blank). its the tool where you drill right in the middle of the thread then tap this little piece that looks like a drill bit, then unscrew as normal.

saves you from pulling your front bar off i'd think.

thats the exact reason why you need high tensile bolts.

im sure you can use that tool that gets stripped bolt heads off (i cant remember the name, ive gone completely blank). its the tool where you drill right in the middle of the thread then tap this little piece that looks like a drill bit, then unscrew as normal.

saves you from pulling your front bar off i'd think.

I have had high tensile M6 bolts snapped off before...try and drill those suckers out...don't think so....a two jaw hydraulic puller is your only option

We had the same problem in my brother rb20 r31 he used to have.

Solution was to call a mobile mechanic. He came around, bent the shit out of his puller and charged $50 for his time. For the time and effort involved it was the best way to do it. Saved a lot more frustration.

• 2 years later...