SAU Community

What To Do In Tokyo ?

leech_

cheers beau already sorted... well i probably won't remember them when i get their... i only just found out Kanpai means cheers and i say cheers all the time so i will use that a bit :P

kon'nitiha

Sayounara

Arigatou

Kanpai

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yah, some more basics you made need to use...

ie (ii-eh) = no

ie chigaimasu (ii-eh chi-guy-mus) = Thats not right

sumi masen (soo-me-mah-sen) = excuse me

Haiyaku (Hi-yah-koo) = hurry

if you want some specific words, let me know, id be more than happy to help ^_^

Edited by SKYLVIA

one tip. try and get your pronounciation spot on. if you dont pronounce words correctly some people will have NFI what you are saying. only way to do this is practice.

cheers guys :) now i am worried they will just look at me with a blank expression like people in Australia do when i try talking lol

yea sig will be taking heaps of photos though probably wont be able to upload them till i get back :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well things are looking good booked our accomodation which is at the Tokyo Backpackers Hostel Mastushima. Nothing special but it has a bed which is good :huh:

http://www.outdoorjapan.com/accommodation/...matsushima.html

Also i was wondering if someone could help me out i spoke to the place that books tickets for the Sumo wrestling. Now unfortunatly i don't speak Japanese although they did have a guy who spoke fairly good english which made it alot easier luckily.

After 15 minutes i think i have a booking which i will pay when i go over there i got a booking number and all but he said i have to pick the tickets up from "Family Mart" which after a little bit of research sounds a little strange as looking at this webpage

http://barwick.de/blog/japan/convenience-s...mart-japan.html

it seems as though it's almost like the 7/11 or local IGA of australia. Would it be likely i need to go to a particual one to pick the tickets up ???

Cheers Leigh

Family mart is extremely popular over there, like 7-11 or Sunkus. They're a type of covenience store.

Someone else may know better than I do, but you'd go to just about any Family Mart and you should be able to pay for and pick them up over the counter. They probably won't be tickets as you know them, they may be just little dockets or something. Or maybe just a reference printout.

And while you're there, pick up a sweet Georgia milk coffee. YUM.

haha sounds good sig :w00t: yea i thought it strange to be paying/picking up tickets at a 7/11 but oh well. I just hope they hold the tickets as their was a bit of communication problems eg my name etc. I really need to learn japanese

i wouldn't have bothered booking personally. there are always plenty of cheap seats available at the big tournament. i guess if you want a floor seat then booking maybe a good idea.

ah sounds good Richard. At least if the booking does get mixed up we can still go. Tickets are fairly well priced i thought as well considering it is an all dayer. We are just going from about 1 till close which is around 6 B class tickets something like $50 each so i am happy :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am going through Sunrise Tours for my Sumo Tournament experience whilst in Tokyo, but I am going alone and getting a heap of other things from them aswell.. Have fun!

cheers Yorik we leave next Wednesday so should be awesome. cheers again to all who have posted useful information :unsure:

lol watch out for those obachans and ojichans(old lady and old men) on the train and normal day life.. they will push u aside if ur in their way with elbows lol.. also depending on where u wanna go.. ikebukero in tokyo is pretty popular.. u would need the yamanote line to get there...

The Yamanote line does a huge circle so u can get it to shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku and Akihabara...As well as Tokyo station etc..

If you want bars, funky clubs, strip clubs etc.. Shibuya and Shinjuku are your main targets...i can lay down the scenes of each so its easier cause they sound the same

Shibuya - High end fashion brands, accessories its all there fashion wise... also many teeny bobbers hang out there(Aka Shibuya girls) Ayumi hamasaki shops there as well at the plaza called 609 or something newho. also a good place i hear is Gaspanic bar/club or watever.. but the problem is u have to keep ordering drinks and if u dont tip them they make weak drinks lol..

Shinjuku - Nice dinners,lunches and bars :D and nice gift shops there.. also a huge book shop there and on the 6th floor has english books so if u didnt get a guide book and u feel alittle overwhelmed head ther and pick one up

Harajuku - another fashion place but more for urban/used and other stylish clothes there.. really worth the trip :D

Akihabara - electronic town, anything and everything is there ;)

Food:-

Keep in mind ur maccers and kfc fix like in aus is very different here.. lol i suggest ya dont worry about it.. its too expensive also its not as large as u think when u try a large..

Try eating at these places... Matsuya, Yoshinoya, Coco's Curry shop, Ramien Shop's..

Matsuya: is my fav out of all them.. its like very lush food at cheap prices also its instantly made really for you in less then 3mins plus they give u free miso soup, To order at Matsuya u will see a vending machine inside or outside depending on where u go, you put ur cash in and pick the dish u want then you will get a ticket and walk inside, sit down give them the ticket and foods ready!.... plus its open 24hrs so after a heavy drinking session at your local izakaya, matsuya isthe way to go..

Yoshinoya: same but doesnt compare.. the food isnt that hot.. plus theres not much too choose from also it doesnt give you free miso soup.. ordering food is near the same.. depending on where u want to go.. or it may not even have a vending machine and you tell them which one you want...

Coco's curry shop: Heres a good place to try japanese curry for the first time.. you pick which style of curry you want then pick the spicyness.. i always choose chicken katsu(chicken fillet) curry with 3 stars.. which is decent.. this curry shop is also open 24hrs or till 1 am i forgot.. the price is alittle more then the other two but for just trying it the first time its worth it..

Transport

Here is the most important rule about japan do not catch taxi's unless its really needed, the price for taxis is written on the side and if you dont know how far away your going ur gonna get charged a arm and a leg.. also dont open taxi's door, they can do it them selves same with closing ;).

best forms of transport in japan is only Train and buss.. beside its much easier and faster to get anywhere less hassle but only problem is knowing which way to go.. since many people get lost in the subways and trainlines in japan.. even japanese citizens get lost... but newho .. its pretty simple..

Bars and host bars

Yup, you ask for a bar in japan u will get directed to a host bar, where u pay insane amounts of cash to sit down with a girl/guy or two for a hr or so drinking and talking to them.... but what u really want some is some clubs or proper bars...So best places for you and your mates is a Izakaya its a japanese style bar.. where u sit on the floor drinking and eating all the japanese drinking foods.. tell ya.. Raw horse with soy&garlic is pretty delicious after u had some asashi beers lol..

So mate when u land in japan make sure u have already got transport from the Narita airport to ur hotel.. never catch a taxi if u havnt got arranged transport.. you want to start to research on trains now...

anyways mate, good luck in japan here .. i been here for nearly a year and im loving it..

if feel unsure on anything like helpful questions in japanese post here or pm me.. most of us in the land of the rising sun can help you mate..

cheers.. have a safe flight...

Edited by Doraemon88