SAU Community

6 Stroke Engine

I'm trying to get my head around this 6 stroke engine. Correct if I am wrong:

Stroke 1: Induction

Piston moves down, sucking in fuel and air through the carby

Stroke 2: "Primary" Compression

Piston moves up, compressing air and fuel

Ignition:

Fuel is ignited as piston approached top dead centre.

Stroke 3: "Primary" Expansion

Burning air and fuel expands rapidly, pushing the piston down.

Stroke 4: "Primary" Exhaust / "Secondary" Compression

Piston moves up, driving out exhaust gases. Unlike a traditional engine, the aim is not to remove all exhaust gas in this stroke, but leave some hot gases present. It was mentioned in the article that he was experimenting with not letting the exhaust valves open at all druing this stroke! The remaining hot exhaust gases are compressed in this stroke as the piston moves up, increasing pressure and hence heating it up

Water Injection:

Water is injected into the chamber with the super hot exhaust gases, causing it to boil and create steam.

Stroke 5: "Secondary" Expansion

The water boils, rapidly expanding into steam, driving the piston down in a second power stroke. As the gas boils, heat energy is absorbed from the surrounding environment, effectively cooling the engine.

Stroke 6: "Secondary" Exhaust

Piston moves up, driving out the remaining gases through the exhaust valve.

Rinse and Repeat.

The advantage of this engine is that it has two power strokes for every 3 crankshaft rotations. This should give increased engine power over a four stroke engine, which has one power stroke for every two crankshaft rotations.

Almost like two stroke power levels with better economy than a four stroke!

The cooling effect would allow increased compression ratios, or more turbo boost pressure for skyline fans, without the need for higher grade fuels. Potentially, it could remove the need for an intercooler in turbo cars, greatly reducing losses through the induction system.

Additionally, one of the power strokes uses water for power rather than fuel, so your fuel bill will be divided into half water, half petrol, and obviously water is a lot cheaper than petrol and will hence save you money.

but, wont that just make the water crisis worse?

but makes the polution crisis better :D

bah, i should have read up...

Edited by |ANT|

Yeah he wont be around for much longer......as in the Gentleman who made the Delorean.....Stainless Steel Panels = Drives panel beaters out of business, so he got a good talking to.

As in the people who made the Ceramic engine (EXTREMELY efficient).......that didnt go into production.

Or the various back yard projects which have had Hydrogen engines etc etc, fill it up with your graden hose and a wayyyyy you go.

All these things have been thought about and done. They dont see production because of the big business's sending goons after them.

If you guys dont hear from me again, you can have my Charade..............only if you plaster it with GTR badges though :)

Edited by Dingo

Yeah he wont be around for much longer......as in the Gentleman who made the Delorean.....Stainless Steel Panels = Drives panel beaters out of business, so he got a good talking to.

As in the people who made the Ceramic engine (EXTREMELY efficient).......that didnt go into production.

Or the various back yard projects which have had Hydrogen engines etc etc, fill it up with your graden hose and a wayyyyy you go.

All these things have been thought about and done. They dont see production because of the big business's sending goons after them.

If you guys dont hear from me again, you can have my Charade..............only if you plaster it with GTR badges though :O

Hey man - Paranoia is an UNJUSTIFIED belief that people are out there trying to get you. John DeLorean was actually set up by the FBI - true story. That his car company was dodgy, did all manner of illegal sh!t & was always headed for disaster is a whole other conspiracy, er story. By the way Colin Chapman is alive & well & living in South America. I have it on good authority the Ferrari's recent about turn in form is due to some of his consultancy work.

Oh, yeah you forgot to mention that the real reason Kennedy was assassinated because he told Marylin Monroe the truth about the UFO's......

Gotta go, someone is watching me. :)

I'm trying to get my head around this 6 stroke engine. Correct if I am wrong:

Stroke 1: Induction

Piston moves down, sucking in fuel and air through the carby

Stroke 2: "Primary" Compression

Piston moves up, compressing air and fuel

Ignition:

Fuel is ignited as piston approached top dead centre.

Stroke 3: "Primary" Expansion

Burning air and fuel expands rapidly, pushing the piston down.

Stroke 4: "Primary" Exhaust / "Secondary" Compression

Piston moves up, driving out exhaust gases. Unlike a traditional engine, the aim is not to remove all exhaust gas in this stroke, but leave some hot gases present. It was mentioned in the article that he was experimenting with not letting the exhaust valves open at all druing this stroke! The remaining hot exhaust gases are compressed in this stroke as the piston moves up, increasing pressure and hence heating it up

Water Injection:

Water is injected into the chamber with the super hot exhaust gases, causing it to boil and create steam.

Stroke 5: "Secondary" Expansion

The water boils, rapidly expanding into steam, driving the piston down in a second power stroke. As the gas boils, heat energy is absorbed from the surrounding environment, effectively cooling the engine.

Stroke 6: "Secondary" Exhaust

Piston moves up, driving out the remaining gases through the exhaust valve.

Rinse and Repeat.

The advantage of this engine is that it has two power strokes for every 3 crankshaft rotations. This should give increased engine power over a four stroke engine, which has one power stroke for every two crankshaft rotations.

Almost like two stroke power levels with better economy than a four stroke!

The cooling effect would allow increased compression ratios, or more turbo boost pressure for skyline fans, without the need for higher grade fuels. Potentially, it could remove the need for an intercooler in turbo cars, greatly reducing losses through the induction system.

Additionally, one of the power strokes uses water for power rather than fuel, so your fuel bill will be divided into half water, half petrol, and obviously water is a lot cheaper than petrol and will hence save you money.

The secondary power stroke is not going to have the same power as the primary one though so you may have balancing or harmonic issues unless there are a lot of cylinders, like 8 or more.

There's a really cool engine design, the Quasiturbine engine.

check it out www.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine.htm

or www.quasiturbine.com

I think ill leave steam to my great grandfather.

Hey man - Paranoia is an UNJUSTIFIED belief that people are out there trying to get you.

Oh, yeah you forgot to mention that the real reason Kennedy was assassinated because he told Marylin Monroe the truth about the UFO's......

Gotta go, someone is watching me. :(

Ahmen Brother! :(

Paranoya nothing man! He lives!!

bigfoot.jpg

Edited by Dingo

The steam stroke would'nt have as much power but in a 6cylinder it would harmonise well. I wonder if you would do without cooling though as its not just combustion that generates heat, electric motors and gearboxes get hot too.

question...what if the water did not turn into steam completely...few water droplets here and there...got compressed by the piston...bam..a hole in the piston?

not neceserally sky

think bout water injected cooling systems

water is directly injected into the air intake to cool it down

compression ratios are turned up for the loss of fuel(or down i cant remeber)

and it is all honky dorry