SAU Community

Hi Alll

madness

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all I just bought a R32 GTR and I love it. I have driven a few cars in my time and so far I have found the GTR the most fun to drive. The way you can throw it around is unreal.

The car is stock exp for zorst and turbos which has hks 25, 30’s. I was looking at getting an ecu but there are so many to choose from I don't know what to get.

This is what I have being tossing up between so far, PFC, WOLF3D v. 4.

Has anyone hear used the wolf, I know most ppl hear are using the PFC just would kike to know what the wolf's are like. Also I live out near Airport west, can anyone recommend a good work shop out that way or any way around this side of town or along the western ring road towards Epping? Any help would be great.

By the way this is far the best forum out there for Nissans keep up the good work...

Hey welcome, fellow skyline owner, I just recently imported a r32 gtst heaps of fun , and reside within Epping area.There is a few good work shops off hume hwy/sydney rd, if you want me I can get details of a guy I know who only does skylines..hes excellent, hes work shop is called creatd motorsports, he is recommended in this area for his work(and also not expensive)..

Madness, I'm not sure how much power you want, but Ben at Racepace tuned my GTR before I bought it on the stock computer for almost 260rwkw. Consider that I don't race it as I have a GTS25t for racing so I have the luxury of completely factory idle, an almost completely stock appearance in the engine bay except for the rising rate reg (would have to be pretty switched to notice) and enough go to spin it up through second in the wet which can be pretty hairy without a LSD front diff as torque steer can kick in. It pulls 0-100 in 4.02s over 40m and on 0.8 bar boost (instead of the normal 1 bar due to a split hose) was good enough for a comfortable 3rd outright in the recent DECA event. With the turbos you have a computer change is not necessary. Mine are steel wheel stockies. One the 2530's yours would do as well but pull harder lower in the range.

I'd spend my money on some nice suspension from Sydneykid and get Benno to get the most out of a nice stock looking setup. To be fair there are also cam gears, possibly cams but he won't tell me (the pr*ck :D ) head work and a good exhaust but they can be found at a decent price.

ctjet, Rob is a mate of mine so I'd be interested to know what you base your comment on. Sure some cars have been there a while and I never discuss specifics, but a lot of cars come in and out quickly as well. As for a PFC tune, well that doesn't take long and he pulled 220rwkw out of my GTSt on PFc with RR reg, modded stock turbo and stock injectors at 80% duty. He is well priced and has some good performances in cars on the strip to back him up.

i base it on the fact that he took my car to get a rebiuld and it took him, hold on....... 15 weeks to finish it!!! he lied to me consistantly about how long it would take, how much he had completed and on the price.

only once he was firmly "persuaded" did he move his ass and get it done. i dont hold a grudge anymore cause he's a nice guy and he knows a family member or two of mine, but if anyone asks for an opinion on his work i will tell them my experience

all im saying is he is not the best calibre tunner out there thats for sure

For GTR's see Ben at Racepace, although I have a gtst, my hks turbo upgrade looks 100% stock!!

I am totally happy with his work and would recommend him to anyone, especially if you have a GTR

I second what GTRGeoff has to say

al, does the wolf come with a built in wideband o2 sensor ???
Yes it uses the factory o2 sensor/s, just like the std ecu. But if your o2 sensor is stuffed it can also be programmed to ignore it.

wow this has turned into a modifications / ecu thread as apposed to "Hi". cool cool :(

the powerfc has airtemp support, namely the implementation on the ecr33 powerfc is broken as the car does not have a factory sensor, nor does manual hook up work (at least when i tried it, it no workies)

i would be interested in seeing the wolf airtemp correction and compare it to the wolf equivalent. also wolf more load points is irrelevant as they dont get used thanks to map sensor style

i would be interested in seeing the wolf airtemp correction and compare it to the wolf equivalent.
Not too sure what you are trying to say here, but fact remains the Pfc has not left you any provisions should you want to wire in a air temp sensor, even though it is capable of using it.
also wolf more load points is irrelevant as they dont get used thanks to map sensor style
Coming from someone who has never seen, used, or knows anything about the wolf program, that is a totally wierd statement. The load band is probably not greater than the pfc, just has greater resolution. And yes i have seen my mechanic tune my car, although he tried to demonstate/explain what he was doing, it was way over my head. What's the point of spending all the money to improve the technology and resolution if it doesn't get used. I am sure they would have prefered to save the $$'s if the ecu never used the feature.

Paul i know you love the Pfc, because that's the only ecu you know how to work with, but please stop making up false facts without having the proof to back up your statements. I am partial to the Wolf, but i have not called the Pfc (or any other ecu) shit because i know it is a proven product, i have simply pointed out it's known down falls, and where the Wolf excels above the Pfc, just like others have shown where the Pfc excels over the Wolf.

At then end of the day both have the pros and cons, it is up to the individual to decide which they can live with. Apart from the repeatedly good/safe tunes from Ben, at Racepace, i am yet to see any other w/shops produce the same level of results, in Victoria.

correct and i never said the wolf was shit either. again we can sit here and talk all day about which is better, all we can do is voice our opinions and move on. but i still dont believe the wolf has greater resolution, i dont see how this is technically possible

also dont feel im having an attack at you, as i am clearly not doing that, nor is that my intentions. the purpose of this forum is to have an open discussion, which is what it is. althought the topic is "Hi" which is a bit misleading but anyway

"Apart from the repeatedly good/safe tunes from Ben, at Racepace, i am yet to see any other w/shops produce the same level of results, in Victoria."

hang on, do you mean racepace are they only good tuners in vic for powerfc? or is there something im missing?

Madness, I'm not sure how much power you want, but Ben at Racepace tuned my GTR before I bought it on the stock computer for almost 260rwkw. Consider that I don't race it as I have a GTS25t for racing so I have the luxury of completely factory idle, an almost completely stock appearance in the engine bay except for the rising rate reg (would have to be pretty switched to notice) and enough go to spin it up through second in the wet which can be pretty hairy without a LSD front diff as torque steer can kick in. It pulls 0-100 in 4.02s over 40m and on 0.8 bar boost (instead of the normal 1 bar due to a split hose) was good enough for a comfortable 3rd outright in the recent DECA event. With the turbos you have a computer change is not necessary. Mine are steel wheel stockies. One the 2530's yours would do as well but pull harder lower in the range.

Ok iam looking around the 270kw mark. Also the original ecu has been played with, which makes the car run a bit lean, also because of it been played with the idle control is stuffed as well. I have had the ecu checked and it's not worth fixing simply because I would like a bit more power. I have no choice but to get rid of the ecu.

I have heard of race pace and also have heard that he is the man to see about PFC, however he is not cheap, and that he is fairly busy. I should speak to him in person about it first.

Before this becomes a war over witch ecu is better I think we all need to agree that in the end of the day it's the tuner isn't it?

the reasons why so far I like the wolf's is that they are local, if there is a problem they have a life time warranty, when an upgrade software comes out you won't be waiting long for your ecu to come back to you,

No air flow meters and it has a boost controller.

I also like the pfc too and my reasons are that from what I have herd that they retain better idle, The base maps are better, there are more tuners out there that can tune them,

If there is anything I have left out please let me know...

Edited by madness

I'd spend my money on some nice suspension from Sydneykid and get Benno to get the most out of a nice stock looking setup. To be fair there are also cam gears, possibly cams but he won't tell me (the pr*ck :D ) head work and a good exhaust but they can be found at a decent price.

That is the next thing i what to do, as soon as i sort out what iam going to do with ecu's ill pm Sydneykid about some nice suspension. The drivers side has a slight sag to it. I was thinking my currrant set up re-sealed but i want to ask Sydneykid first what are his thoughts about this.

Thanks GTRgeoff

Ok I have decided on what ecu to buy, aim going to get the apexi purely because

(a) I can get one a lot cheaper

Then the wolf.

(b) The apexi has a faster processor then the wolf. Now I know that most OEM ecu are the faster them most aftermarket ecu's. And he apexi is as close as a standard ecu is some ways i.e. idle, aircon, ECT....

Also the wolf has to make its own calculations with the air temps and such where the apexi has pre base calculations where it just grabs them.

Now this is what I have been told by someone, now I might not have fully understood what he said but it was something along that line I might have got it a bit mixed up.

I did speak to Ben from R.P and he has been a great help, I am going to take my car down there for the tune as he knows the apexi systems really well

correct and i never said the wolf was shit either. again we can sit here and talk all day about which is better, all we can do is voice our opinions and move on. but i still dont believe the wolf has greater resolution, i dont see how this is technically possible

I have no problem with ppl "voicing their opinions", but when people state something as fact, when that statement is basically false, can't be proven or plucked from thin air, then i like to set the record straight. If you don't know something, don't comment on/aggainst it, as it will simply mis-lead the person asking the question. You may know the Pfc much better than the average person, but you have admitted to knowing nothing of the Wolf. As you are not a qualified electronic/programming/automotive engineer i fail to see how you can comment on the operations of the Wolf, including it's tunning resolutions. I have the software at home and have been in the car while it was getting tunned and can confirm that more than 6 load bands are used; also note that not even the Pfc uses all 6 of it's load bands.

"Apart from the repeatedly good/safe tunes from Ben, at Racepace, i am yet to see any other w/shops produce the same level of results, in Victoria."

hang on, do you mean racepace are they only good tuners in vic for powerfc? or is there something im missing?

From all the information and ppl's personal experiences i have heard/discussed, Ben's tunning has been the most stable, by far... This is not to say that Ben has not had his own glitches (just like any other w/shop) but he has excelled in Pfc tunning. There may also be other w/shops/tunners i have not heard of yet.

Ok I have decided on what ecu to buy, aim going to get the apexi purely because

(a) I can get one a lot cheaper

Then the wolf.

(b) The apexi has a faster processor then the wolf. Now I know that most OEM ecu are the faster them most aftermarket ecu's. And he apexi is as close as a standard ecu is some ways i.e. idle, aircon, ECT....

Also the wolf has to make its own calculations with the air temps and such where the apexi has pre base calculations where it just grabs them.

Now this is what I have been told by someone, now I might not have fully understood what he said but it was something along that line I might have got it a bit mixed up.

I did speak to Ben from R.P and he has been a great help, I am going to take my car down there for the tune as he knows the apexi systems really well

Great to see you made your decision and getting the Pfc at a great price, but i really hope you have not been mis-informed with part "(b)". I have used the wolf for years and have never ever heard anything about it's processing speed. Would like to know who has this technical information and how it effects the real-time operation of the engine. I hope the person feeding you this info is not partial to the Pfc or wants to gain financially by presenting false stats. How can the ecu use pre-determined air temps if the weather/climate/humidity changes from day to day? :D The wolf only uses the inlet air temp sensor as a compensation tool, if the inlet temp is too hot the ecu will automatically retards the timing. The Pfc does not has this feature for the RB's, thus will simply knock alot more, unless you manually retard the timing, like some people do.

Side note:

I know Ben has no idea about the Wolf, he only touched one once and doesn't know any of it's features. I had a chat to Ben once and all he said was "wolf is shit" when asked why and what technecally makes the wolf shit he simply couldn't reply. Any tunner will be biased to their prefered ecu, it is up to the user to filter all the bull shit :nuke:. I would probably put money on the fact that Ben would hate the Pfc Dejaro(sp?) as tunning is completely different to the std Pfc and is alot closer to the Wolf style of tunning. It was also written that greater power was extracted using the Pfc MAP ecu rather than the Pfc MAF ecu (Published in HPI?).

Even though it may appear opposite, i have nothing to gain from promoting the Wolf ecu. I have purchased it at full price and continue to pay for my tunning. I just like to state my "experiences" with the wolf ecu, when others are stating unfounded opinions. Take it as you may and i wish you well with your choice of ecu's :).

i dont see how you could get more power out of map vs maf?

also the air temp correction in the apexi powerfc is fine.

the airtemp implmentation in the r33 gtst (the car itself) is broken as there is no airtemp sensor, so its basically the cars fault not the ecu. the air temp correction works fine in the rb range powerfcs just the 33gtst implementation is broken