SAU Community

History of a 9 second GTR

With HKS2530's, I currently make 330kw at all 4 and went 360kw at all 4, but we decided to run at 330kw as its a work car.

Been watching your progress Munro and i am very impressed..youll have to come to Sydney once the new track is built. Mario's car would not be able to compete as his car is not registered, as they are only cars that can race here at the moment untill the new track is built.

Doesnt Adelaide have a 4WD dyno yet??

Nick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, there is a 4WD dyno, but at another workshop.Mark Tilbrook is my crew chief so we use his 2WD dyno.Besides-

the main figures I am interested in is mph & ET.Track dyno is the

ultimate proof of power as every chassis dyno reads different.

330kw where the rubber meets the road & the responsive 2530s

would be awesome fun on the street.

That is crazy that only rego cars can drag race.I thought the whole point of having a track was so that cars like Mario's could race, whats a rego sticker mean anyway!

What Mario has done is fantastic - cant wait to see it run in the flesh.

I remember reading about your white R33 in the first GTR special

edition when mine was a stocky, & thinking how cool it would be to do it up & maybe get it in a mag.Never thought that I would have 2 GTRs on the cover of the 3rd GTR special edition!

All the cool GTRs in that 1st mag was what fired me up in the 1st place - so I suppose your car was one of the ones that inspired me.Doug's silver R33 GTR was my first ride in a highly modified GTR

& after that I was a goner.His car is still probably the nicest all round package in Adelaide, & it would easily pull low 10s if he wanted to bring it out, but after spending all week hooning around in helicopters he prefers just to burn around the streets &

I respect that.

Yeah I know Mark Tilbrook as i used to live in Adelaide. He knows who i am as well. He is a great mechanic.

Its amazing that when i bought my car 4 years ago that there would be a GTR in the 8's and 9's. now there are a few and there are a few being built as well. I think that this year will be a big year for the GTR's...

I had no GTR's when I bought mine to look at and admire, so I travelled to Japan twice a year and even went to an official RH9 club meet many years ago and way before anyone even knew what RH9 meant.

Yeah the rules here are much different for drag racing...That was the reason he went to Heathcote as he cannot race here.. they are fairly strict here as well and the rules here are very different in getting a rego sticker....sometimes the cops also check the cars out at the drags as they also know that the cars have to be regoed.

Nick

a really good read, thanks for sharing, not much people these days on the street want to tell you what mods they'v done.

i beleive another GTR you should look out for is Dominic's 850hp R32 GTR, its the yellow Autostyle one, its best time so far is a 10.3 i think but that was with 16psi, 600hp, no weight reduction, street tyres. He is after 9's i beleive.

got to love it!!! would dearly love to see you line up on the new track in sydney late in the year. is a heads up with the autostyle GTR out of the question?????

BTW..keep up the good work

Munro. How did you're car compare to dougs when you old the turbo setup that was running 11.10? I've seen his car in a magazine somewhere but haven't seen any power figures or 1/4 mile times.

Can you expand on the important stuff the magazines left out regarding doug's car?

Munro: excellent reading - top effort.

For those interested I asked the guys at Auto Salon about a possible Drag Combat 2003 and its apprently in planning so I guess we will see what happens

Dougs R33 has made 465rwkw & would leave my old 2540s setup

in it's dust.I have driven the car hard(as it's meant to be driven) &

it would definately run in the mid to low tens - but with a std gearbox & diffs would not last long with me driving it.Doug is not interested in Drag racing so we will probably never know exactly what it would run down the 1/4.Too much to list all the mods, but it is still a 2.6L, has TD06s,motec management etc.Very streetable

still & an excellent street car.

I will run heads up against anyone if given the chance.

BTW - I just got an insurance quote for full comp on the R34 GTR.

$12,500 pa with a $20,400 excess!!!!!!!!! Say what - get real.

Love to see what they would quote on the R33 as it is!!!

Did ya " TELL EM HE'S DREAMN!? "

My insurance is $320 Third Partay fire n theft haha. The joys of owning a very expensive supercar I guess.

TD06 is a good overall turbo still is it? Or the torque of a Rb26 in the first place still gives it good low down pull?

I would have thought u'd would have to give the thing some rev's to get it to move? *just a query*

Ah, Hmmm. 14 times Kabab. But not for years now, my cars are much faster so cant catch me. Ha ha.

Besides, speed cameras in SA dont attract demerit points & they only use low speed film - so if you are going fast enough all they photograph is the spot you used to be.Dont laugh - it's been done before. seriously though - I am a very well behaved law abiding citizen now I'm a mature 31 & only use 3rd,4th,5th& 6th gears on private roads or racetrack under controlled conditions.

The TD06s on Dougs car did not come on boost till 6000rpm so it had to be revved to 9500 to get a useable power band. Now the engine has been rebuilt by adelaide Engine Developments it comes on around 5000. Piston heights in relation to something or other due to the #*^(&^ being #^%$ over the $^&$%^ & cam timing - lost me - ask Darren.I dont build the cars I just thrash them. Anyway it's pretty good now.

It looks like we will see what Doug's R33 GTR will pull down the 1/4 now. I have just bought it from him! (Traded in the S2000)

It only has 1300kms on the new rebuild so will do it's 1st service,

get some kays on it & possibly take it out to the next street drags

with the Nittos from the 3litre R33.

I hope my previous comment about breaking it if I drove it does not happen.This will probably be a one off Drag session, & then I

will concentrate on the race prepped R33.

After driving it around today, it is definately laggy, but will decimate most street cars once on boost & singing -what a machine!Glad it's got a 320kmhr speedo & bistein suspension!

For those who are wondering - yes I am addicted to GTRs.