SAU Community

Mate Smashed Up Xr6 Turbo

Baz

This morning at about 8am my mate driving his brothers car, not sure whos fault it was but managed to hit another car and did some serious damage to his car and the other car as well, the other car is rooted but his car does not seem that bad.

Now my question is, that the car has had some pretty extensive modifications done to it. Putting in excess of 290rwkw. He is covered by full comprehensive insurance on the car.. but do the modifications done to it without permits void the insurance at all? I'm sure someone here has had experience of smashing up a modified car. Just want to see where he stands.

All comments much appreciated

Cheers,

depends who he is insured with, main stream insurers probably wouldnt be too keen to cover it, but he would obviously have to have a look.

niche insurers like Shannons, Famous, Torque, Vigil etc may well be a little more leanient......

Edited by _8OO5TED_

Only issue is that I don't believe all the modifications are listed on his brothers policy or not and I believe he is listed on his brothers policy though however.

If the driver was older than the youngest driver on the insurance alot of the time they are covered.. (well just cars they are)..

As for mods - most insurance companies say "we have no problem listing mods, however it is up to the insuree to ensure that the mods are LEGAL according to their state"..

it's not the responsibility of the insurance company to go around checking if what you have got is legal when you insre with them.. they will however when you put a claim in..

in other words.. list away, but if we find that they were a) illegal and b) possibly contributed to the crash than they can cancel the policy..

good luck

Edited by Links

as far as I know any full licence driver is insured for any full comp insured car. named drivers doesnt mean anything, appart from risk assesment when you take out your policy.

mods will void insurance if they make a deal about it though.

as far as i know with the mods i have done, cause i have gone over 30% in extras of what my car is worth i could not add anymore mods to my insurance, they told me they would fix the car if i crashed it but would only replace it with stock parts .

Thisdidnt happen to be a black ute did it ? that smashed into a brand new hsv of which the owner had waited two months to arrive ? driven by a certain joondalup cricket player ?

hmmm im a certain joondalup player. are we talking WACA comp. here?

Did this happen in Wangara ? My mate saw an almost identical incident in Wangara ( unless this was it )..

I feel for the bloke, both owner and the driver. Shame about the car, but good if the guy is OK.

Anyway - I hear that if you have ANY modifications your insurance company isn't aware of, you aren't covered, period.