SAU Community

Wats The Outcome Of An Rb25 Or 20 Of Bolting Into A C210?

Hey i was just wondering if it was possible for an Rb20 or Rb25 to bolt straight into a c210 4 door sedan..my ugly one.. and if so is it a simple job? any help would be great... thank :D <<lol thats cool..

its a FAIRLY simple conversion, but there is always things that come up. and the result isnt to bad at all, thanks to the c210's for being quite light.

im toying with the idea of a rb25 at the moment for my silver coupe

lol kool.... so if i baught one it will bolt straight in.. i havnt exactly seen wat an rb25 looks like so im sort of thinking if the engine mounts rnt in the same spot then im too lazy to do it..lol.. but if i did im sure it would move.. ( the car)

lol kool.... so if i baught one it will bolt straight in.. i havnt exactly seen wat an rb25 looks like so im sort of thinking if the engine mounts rnt in the same spot then im too lazy to do it..lol.. but if i did im sure it would move.. ( the car)

the rb30 block bolted into my crossmember using VL mounts, i dont know for certain that an RB25 will.

and the gearbox crossmember needs to be fabricated.

One of my mates has a c210 with a RB20 in it, soon to be a rb25 from what i head,

you might have seen it around seen as you are a local, has the plates UFO-210, and is hella bright orange.

quiiiick car, but i have no idea how much work goes into puttint the engine in..

im pretty sure the 20/25 with the intake that goes over the top of the engine will hit the bonnet, probably need the rb26 style plenum...

One of my mates has a c210 with a RB20 in it, soon to be a rb25 from what i head,

you might have seen it around seen as you are a local, has the plates UFO-210, and is hella bright orange.

quiiiick car, but i have no idea how much work goes into puttint the engine in..

im pretty sure the 20/25 with the intake that goes over the top of the engine will hit the bonnet, probably need the rb26 style plenum...

i've got a 25 sitting around so i'll mesure it up tonight, if the plenum does sit to high and you need to change it or custome engine mounts to lower it..

i dropped an rb20 into my 66 skyline gt.... moves like a shower of s%$t but was a lil stuffin round to get it in there..... but i think with the latter lines ie c110, c210 its a lil easier like v8skylineman said......

go on do it.... ya know ya want to.....lol

nope, not an easy fit, but doesn't seem to be rocket science.

i am putting an RB25DET into a C110 at the moment (same crossmember as teh C210). VL/RB25/RB20 mounts do not fit, custom ones have to be made. mine is sitting really low (around 1 cm clearence from the xmember), but there is still around 10cm clearence between the firewall.

Rear mount (gearbox) also sits a fair way back, we tried hacking up the stock mount to look a bit like a u shape, but that means my gearbox is sitting insanely low (lowest point of the car, probably not legal). going to try and rig up the gearbox with a 240Z gearbox mounting tabs and mounting bar.

i am also using a greddy intake plenum to save height (esp when i put a sway bar on) and to simplify piping. check out www.classiczcars.com, i have a few pics in there in teh 240k section.

certainly not a cheap and easy job :P then you need to look at brake upgrades etc. (btw. i have a set for sale of red powdercoated Z32 NA calipers and rear R31 disks and calipers if your doing a conversion :P)

nope, not an easy fit, but doesn't seem to be rocket science.

i am putting an RB25DET into a C110 at the moment (same crossmember as teh C210). VL/RB25/RB20 mounts do not fit, custom ones have to be made. mine is sitting really low (around 1 cm clearence from the xmember), but there is still around 10cm clearence between the firewall.

Rear mount (gearbox) also sits a fair way back, we tried hacking up the stock mount to look a bit like a u shape, but that means my gearbox is sitting insanely low (lowest point of the car, probably not legal). going to try and rig up the gearbox with a 240Z gearbox mounting tabs and mounting bar.

i am also using a greddy intake plenum to save height (esp when i put a sway bar on) and to simplify piping. check out www.classiczcars.com, i have a few pics in there in teh 240k section.

certainly not a cheap and easy job :D then you need to look at brake upgrades etc. (btw. i have a set for sale of red powdercoated Z32 NA calipers and rear R31 disks and calipers if your doing a conversion :()

damn.. so is it worth all the work or should i pay some high performance place to make my engine faster and turbo it plus convert it to manual?..lol one way or another its goin to be upgraded..oh well.. if theres anymore info please let me know.. but thanx on everything so far guys... cheers..

well, i thought it was going to be a fairly cheap project, maybe $2k for the car, $3k in engine, a bit of hands on, and a mechanic mate lending a hand, but it has turned out to be everything but... i am up and over $15k now, and i havn't even got the body painted or the engine in :D

of course it would help if you chose a plan and stuck to it (i went from RB25DE/RB30E hybrid, to an RB20DET, finally to an RB25DET), i spent so much money on buying "cheap" parts i thought i would need in the future, and then the plan changes and they are a waste.

i would imagine for a shop to do the conversion for you, you would be looking at over $4k in labour... then there is engineering etc. not for the faint harted, or for those on a budget!

there is always the option of getting an L28 from a 280Z or turbo a L28?

Guys unfortunatly with RB twin cam engines the only propper low inlet manifold type is from the GTR - meaning head + manifold because the flange patterns are different on RB26 compared to RB20/25 . It gets better , the exhaust manifold pattern is unique also meaning std or aftermarket RB20/25 manifolds don't fit .

Single turbo low mount manifolds are rare and no longer in production from HKS . Even then the manifolds outlet flange is T4/TA45 footprint (it wore a HKS spec TA45S in its kit) so you can forget std T3/GT30R/GT35R turbos bolting up . ATP Turbo in the US do custom T4 flanged turbine housings for the GR35R but do you really want a GT35R ?

Its expensive but a std RB26 is the most straightforward way to go , good luck .

Another option could be A 2JZGTE ie the late VVT single turbo version .

Cheers A .

yeah, i had just begun looking for a low mount manifold for a GT30R, and so far i have only been able to find the cheap china types..

this is why projects like this are so expensive, you change one thing, that leads to another, then you find some nasty surprises along the way ;) but it IS an experience!

I have an rb30 bolted into my Silver C210, I used vl engine brakets, and C210 monts...bolted straight in...

Its quite close to the firewall, but not too close, leaving enough room for both a 5core radiator and 600x300x100 intercooler INSIDE the engine bay.

The gearbox xmember i havent done yet, but at this stage it looks like ill have to shift the engine forward, or find a smaller diameter box, supra boxes are quite small in diameter, ill have to look into that conversion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys unfortunatly with RB twin cam engines the only propper low inlet manifold type is from the GTR - meaning head + manifold because the flange patterns are different on RB26 compared to RB20/25 . It gets better , the exhaust manifold pattern is unique also meaning std or aftermarket RB20/25 manifolds don't fit .

Single turbo low mount manifolds are rare and no longer in production from HKS . Even then the manifolds outlet flange is T4/TA45 footprint (it wore a HKS spec TA45S in its kit) so you can forget std T3/GT30R/GT35R turbos bolting up . ATP Turbo in the US do custom T4 flanged turbine housings for the GR35R but do you really want a GT35R ?

Its expensive but a std RB26 is the most straightforward way to go , good luck .

Another option could be A 2JZGTE ie the late VVT single turbo version .

Cheers A .

do mean to get an rb26dett?? cause im thinking about that..lol but isnt that engine bigger than the 20 n 25?? if it is that means i got a reall low chance of fittin it in my car... oh and btw, does anyone have tips on upgrading the engine by moving a

afew things or anything..lol thnks

jj

What about weight? Do you feel that a RB20/25 makes the car(c110) more top heavy when driving?

i don't think there is a huge weight difference between the RB and the L24.. it is a pretty heavy block! of course with a turbo, intercooler, bigger radiator etc.. (ie. all the supporting gear) of course it will make the car heavier

• 4 months later...

V8skylineMAN,

How is your conversion going mate?

"The gearbox xmember i havent done yet, but at this stage it looks like ill have to shift the engine forward, or find a smaller diameter box, supra boxes are quite small in diameter, ill have to look into that conversion."

Why do you have to move the engine forward to fit the gearbox? does the tunnel narrow? or is the shifter way to far back?

Do you have any pics?

havent touched the conversion since my last post.......

slack hey.

the tunnel narrows too soon for the box to sit where it does when ive got the engine mounted like i have, if i move the engine forward or used a shorter box it would fit fine.

HKS offer a mounting bracket to allow the rb26 plenium and throttle bodies to be mounted on the rb25... around the $1000 make i think?

how is the L24 mounted in the c210 diferently to the L24 in an r30?

Edited by rsx84

• 2 weeks later...

"I have an rb30 bolted into my Silver C210, I used vl engine brakets, and C210 monts...bolted straight in..."

I dont think this would actually work, C210 engine mounts (bit that bolts to the crossmember) are identical, or look identical to engine mounts of a Zed, these have 2 little holes either side for bolts, this then mates up to a steel bracket that connects to the engine,

VL engine brackets have a big bolt in the middle of the mount, not either side like the C210,

For an RB engine to bolt straight into the C210, you would require something like the CRS mounts used to slap RB30's into Zeds, which have the RB bolt pattern for the engine and the older datto styled engine mounts on the other side,

Unless your C210 mounts are different from mine, VL engine brackets will not bolt straight up to the C210 style engine mounts,