SAU Community

Maximum Power From Gtr With Stock Turbos

Topaz

Just wondering if anyone has some fairly major mods but still have the ceramic turbos in their GTR's?

I have a Power FC and a boost controller set at very slightly over 1bar, with injectors and fuel pump planned next. How much power can an RB26 pull before steel wheel turbos will be needed?

I have 305.8rwhp at the moment

i think around 250rwkw give or take, you need a cam gear, good gains for cheap on te RB26

Just dont run anymore boost... the heat will generally kill the rear turbo first, and being an R32... it might not be too long :P

230rwkw, is that all?!, I am at 228rwkw at the moment which is limited by the injectors and fuel pump because it flattens off at the top end.

and yours let go at 11psi, thats not good :P

Hey,

Befor my single I had standard turbos, bigger injectors, japan chipped computer, and of course a big cup holder.

11psi 225rwkws

fuel was way down in the 10's all the way, could almost catch the unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust lol.

You should get around 240, but beware of the ceramic wheels, good way to knock your cat out boost it over 1bar lol....

230rwkw, is that all?!, I am at 228rwkw at the moment which is limited by the injectors and fuel pump because it flattens off at the top end.

and yours let go at 11psi, thats not good :P

I didn't go for the dyno queen title. tuned and dyno'd with the bonnet down.

I guess your asking for a dyno queen peak power number in this thread so I'll delete my post. :P

I didn't go for the dyno queen title. tuned and dyno'd with the bonnet down.

I guess your asking for a dyno queen peak power number in this thread so I'll delete my post. :P

Nah, thats cool, I need the info about what they can take. Its just that these percentages in the PRofec B are a little confusing as to what boost in pounds or bar you are putting into the turbos....

GTRgeoff - are you serious, 5psi :P. Mine had been running stock (11psi) boost since I bought it no probs. Why would it has let go at such a low boost? and this was the compressor wheel, not the exhaust wheel right! is that a strange occurance?

I think Geoff is talking about the front turbo as in he had two,as for the original question I've heard of over 400rwhp on a WA car how long it lasted I dont know.

This doesnt mean much but a few GTR's have done mid 11's on them.

Popular opinion is dont go over 1bar unless you want the ceramic wheel to fall off.

As for dust destroying engines theres been a few posts about it.

I run 338rwhp, Shutoboy was 355rwhp in R32s.The highest ive had on the dyno in full time tune not just cranked for a run is 397with R34 Turbos.Jades Blue R33 was 384rwhp running 11.72 in 2003 with Exhaust, 18psi boost and ECU. Steve from Myree Dyno had close to 400rwhp and did speed events for a few years.Many others have lost their turbos at 1 bar.Seems to be luck more than anything but i have never seen any failed R34 turbos.

my R32GTR was pulling 243rwkw out of my stock turbos. the boost was set at .9bar but had hks dump pipes, high flow cat {4"} and 3 1/2" straight through exhaust with carbon 4" cannon muffler . The car also had a american imported high flow cooler 600x300x90 , hks 3" pipes to plenum and Apexi power fc. Other than that , car was stock. Never missed a beat. Since then have put in N1 turbos and car makes 292rwks and only on 1.1bar of boost . All I can say is the exhaust is the biggest secret to power with stock turbo's. :thumbsup:

I think Geoff is talking about the front turbo as in he had two,as for the original question I've heard of over 400rwhp on a WA car how long it lasted I dont know.

Ah, front 3 cylinders, gotcha...

Thanks N I B, at least I have some hope with them surviving, might still turn them down a bit though...

My GTR has a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with dumps and along with the pods was the only things that could have affected the power output before.

my bunky had stock dump pipes and when I removed the dead turbo's I noticed how badly they and the factory cast iron manifolds are port matched. I can see how aftermarket dump pipes are able to deliver significant gains. I expect even though I ported my cast iron dumps there is more power and better spool to be had yet.

When the new motor goes in that will be sorted.

I suspect the lost compression on piston 3 was as a result of the ceramic dust too.

Just to add to my last as I was a bit busy.

The ceramic turbines are a known time bomb. They can run for ages at normal or even close to their known limits without failure, or then let go with no changes. Often, one can let go after they have been removed and replaced for some reason such as a gasket repair. In about 2/3 of cases there will be ingestion of the ceramic dust which can score the bore, hold the valves open and pretty much wreck the whole engine as the dust goes throught the oil pump. I had just converted the RB25 to TT with a set of R34 turbos that had run at stock boost but producing good power. No warning, all was well and no boost controller so running of manifold direct pressure. I was on the first drive, just taking things easy and getting used to the response before getting the PFC tuned. Decided to bring on a little power in 2nd and was watching the boost guage for response. As it made 5psi there was a brief missing noise and a large puff of brown smoke out the exhaust (racing cat was fitted) and suddenly lost heaps of power. Had to really work the throttle when clutching for roundabouts as it wanted to stall. Made the couple of kays home but it didn't have the oomph to back up the driveway so it's parked until I can spare the time and the back is up to fixing it. Comp test showed 150psi in the rear 3 cylinders and 20psi in the front 3. That's the ceramic dust holding the valves open.

In my GTR33 I have steel wheeled stock turbos, cam gears, adjustable fuel reg, possibly cams, head cleanup at the last rebuild and exhaust on the stock computer with factory airbox, so it looks stock. It made almost 260rwkw and is enough of a handfull in the wet that I don't believe I need more. Wheelspin through second in the wet is nasty with an open front diff causing torque steer. Good enough for the RSM to show 0-100 in 4.02 seconds on 275-35-18's taking 40m to complete. Who needs PFC. Just visit Benno at RacePace. BTW all was done when I bought it, and made very good sense to buy when I would have been doing a few things anyway.

Benno's a real character, and keeps things pretty close to his chest for both commercial reasons and to have a bit of fun with people. So he gives me some line on "How do you like the idle? Bit lumpy hey?". Great torque down low but also a real tough clutch to get used to. I like it now but hard for the wife to drive.

At one stage it had Argo rods as well but the first Aust owner that killed the engine about 3 times wrecked them. So the work has all been done at Racepace with Arias pistons and the oil system improved as well as Bennos catch can. For what I paid, it was the steal of the decade.