SAU Community

T70 Turbo, Anyone Used One?

Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I am looking at buying a new T70 turbo from XS Power for my s1 r33 gts-t and was wondering if it was worthwhile. Whats it like compared to a t3/4? I will be buying this with a top mount manifold and 38 mm external wastegate. My car is pretty much stock atm except for a 3" turbo back exhaust and pod so I want to know what sort of power increase I would be looking at.

The specs of the turbo are:

OIL COOLED

GARRETT INTERNALS

WET FLOATING BALL BEARINGS

SHAFT & WHEEL TRIM 64.5MM

COMPRESSOR WHEEL SUPER 70 60.5MM

TURBINE HOUSING A/R .84

COMPRESSOR HOUSING A/R RATIO .70

V-BAND FLANGE

Thanks for your time.

Edited by the_barman82

The real reason I want to get this is cuz I somehow sucked something into my turbo before and blew it so now the car is just gathering dust in the garage.

By T3/4 I mean a T3/T4 hybrid, high flowed T3.

to get the benefit out of it you need a fair list of suppporting mods otherwise its not a safe tune and youll just hit stupid limits. im gonna write up a turbo upgrade faq. we get these questions weekly, the same thing over, no one bothers to search

' date='4 Apr 2006, 05:04 PM' post='2070855']

WHAT is a t3/4 turbo?

a random bucket of sh|t from the mid 90's taht the VL boys love to use as its cheap.

Get a proper Garrett/HKS turbo IMO.

They are designed for each specific use.

While it will make power, and probably blow your motor up without (as also stated) a lot of other modifications... they dont work as well as something that has a setup in mind.

First you need to set a power goal

Second you need to workout the mods that you will need to support that power goal

Third - Use the search button as your goal (im sure) is covered already

The T70 turbo from XSpower / SSautochrome is CRAP!! to say the least!

The one i had blew after a short time. NOT thrashing it! Sent it to my turbo company, they took it apart.. NO ball bearings, assembled like crap. some KKK parts, NO garret parts.

Stay away from it, and buy a turbo from a know company.

a random bucket of sh|t from the mid 90's taht the VL boys love to use as its cheap.

Get a proper Garrett/HKS turbo IMO.

They are designed for each specific use.

While it will make power, and probably blow your motor up without (as also stated) a lot of other modifications... they dont work as well as something that has a setup in mind.

First you need to set a power goal

Second you need to workout the mods that you will need to support that power goal

Third - Use the search button as your goal (im sure) is covered already

As you may have devised from my name I am but a lowly barman with very limited funds. I am not after any huge power gains and the only reason I wanted to but these things is its only $400 US for the lot. Of course I will be buying a fmic, power fc, pump, injectors etc one day but until then I just want to get the car back on the road. I will be keeping it a low 8-9 psi boost until properly tuned to keep it reliable.

The T70 turbo from XSpower / SSautochrome is CRAP!! to say the least!

The one i had blew after a short time. NOT thrashing it! Sent it to my turbo company, they took it apart.. NO ball bearings, assembled like crap. some KKK parts, NO garret parts.

Stay away from it, and buy a turbo from a know company.

ARGH!! Damn I wish I wouldn't rush into things!! I have already bid for it and have only 3 hours left for someone to bid higher. Looks like I just committed turbo suicide before I even started the car.

dang :P

if you bolt it on it will probably be ok but i expect a fair chunk of lag and excess airflow protection to kick in fairly quickly. its a fair bit of work to bolt it on given its an manifold change and likely your afm stuff wont mate up and dump pipe probably wont either

Desperation will do funny things to a man. So will a 60 hour week with a total of 10 hours sleep. Bars suck. Guess I will have to find out if it all bolts up when it arrives, my mech mate will have to do the lot as I have to work. He will tell me in no uncertain terms what is required before I can toss my backup car and actually drive my baby. Thanks heaps for the advice guys, will stay updated when possible, back to work I go. :P

hmm sounds interesting

keep us posted on how this new turbo goes on stock boost without the supporting mods... i wonder if your car will be able to handle it?

hope so.... cos i was about to make the same mistake before a while ago

goodluck barman

Did you read his post?

He has a stock motor, and stock parts mostly...

Bringing up a 350rwkw application that will cost you nothing short of $15,000 is totally irrelevant.

And its also a bit hard to say "they arent crap" when you havent yet posted a dyno graph :D

If you did (in the dyno results thread) we could see where its making boost and those sorts of things, but it would make his car one thing

slower

DAMMIT!! Looks like I have to fork out the $400 US for the super t70. Gee, always wanted a dust collecting car and a big turbo for a book stand. Might have to chase the bank for a loan. Oh and I would love to have used my stock turbo but unfortunately its gone to boosted hell. Foreign objects suck especially when it will cost upwards of $1400 to fix.

cheers for the help and advice guys, gonna have to lose an arm or something to get compo.

super T70 are the good ones,.. i think made by masterpowers.. they use the same internals as garrett.

and NO..they are not ball bearing...so expect your turbo mechanic to tell you " WTF...no ball brearing ?"... coz they dont.