SAU Community

Where can I find insurance for my import?

im insured with just car insurance im 24 with 60% ncb had suspended drivers licence once and a few traffic speeding offence. ive got a skyline gtst and and the premium is $1,006 for a year im in brisbane southside but excess is $1,800 if car is stolen and $2,000 if i have a accident and if it was my fault.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm insured with Famous Classic Car Insurance out of WA. Deal seemed OK. Car garaged and in a relatively low risk Sydney suburb (2090). All done over the phone - not too many questions - not fazed by imports and understand mods. Carried over 60% NCB from NRMA - thanks NRMA - wouldn't touch my R33 GTST - even with faultless history over last 14 years.

TYPE: Comprehensive

COST: $1200 p.a. for 'mature' driver (48 years old).

DOWNSIDE: Say bye bye to NCB if you are at fault twice in one year. (with NRMA had guaranteed NCB). $1000 excess plus $1000 excess if stolen.

Also are registered offshore (Guernsey) so hope the MD doesn't do a runner.

Overall helpful and don't talk down to you or treat you like an alien.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i got a quote from Just Cars for the car im going to get...

R32 GTS-t coupe...

im only 17 atm, but when im 18, they will insure me, full comp for $2657...

Will i get better anywhere else?

excess is like $1500 for crash, $1800 for stolen.

btw, im a good mate with a dude at shannons. He says he wont insure me though... they dont take on too many young drivers, but they will do skylines. mainly only GTR's and the more "special" ones.

Troy

Hi Troy,

You'd be hard pressed to get better for your age and that car... purely because of your age. Insurance companies use road statistics as their main benchmark, and they're never good for young drivers. I posted in another thread (that was based around arguments saying that young drivers are good/better than older drivers) that in 2003, the same amount of drivers 17-25 died on australian roads from car accidents, as did drivers aged 26-40... however, there's twice as many drivers aged 26-40 on the roads, so the percentages tell the story... sad but true.

Just Cars is pretty good, and that's only $1k more than my quote (I'm 29, R33 GTS25t, regional area, garaged car), so you're doing pretty well, imho.

Or you could buy an excel. :wassup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm tryin to get insurance now for my non turbo r33... however i've found it to be the most painful experience ever!

Most of the agencys listed, especially elders, will NOT take anyone under 25, so how have some of you got it?? (graham)

It looks like i'll have to go with just car insurance for something like $587 third fkn party! what a joke this is compared to my parents commodore, which is a new SS for something stupid like $177 with me listed as a driver with an excess of $1800 in a crash! What bullshit.

What pisses me off more even tho is the fact that its a non turbo and its not even fast! Most insurance companys said to me too it was also the fact that all of the publicity (sp) that the cars have had on the tv, with young drivers writting them off and wrapping them around trees!!! So everyone who has one and is my age, please calm down on the streets, your killing my decent insurance prices!!! also the fact that its hard to even get insurance at all as 3rd party!

/rant

I've insured my R32 GTS-4 with Famous Classic Car Insurance. 32 year-old 60% nc for just over $1000 with $1000 excess. Only hassle is they are in Perth so you can't phone them before midday. And I've just put in a claim, so we'll see how they go when you want some of your money back :cheers:

I had a chat with my grandpa this afternoon, who was formerly a broker/ agent.

He said he walked in off of the street and was offered the job. he had no qualifications, but had a lot of contacts. He then became independant, and made some good money.

This leads me to hear and now... I am going to find out what it takes to open an insurance agency, and do what everyone else doesn't do. (If of course it is viable, and not too much trouble... but we'll see) :rofl:

Because the discrimination acts list insurance as an exception to the acts, I can say we only insure ...... (Insert specific group here), effectively allowing whose money you would like to take, and who you prefer would not have existed (Thats the way they work :D)

I was thinking something along the lines of DRY car insurance- for the Dangerous, Risky and Young; hi-po cars, high risk, high claims.... it seems logical, and no one else wants to touch it with a 40' barge pole. Young (18-24) males are twice as likely to crash as any other group, but pay premiums up to 50 times as much as any one else.

I know there is a large market, but is there any interest?

I'm sure there will be heaps of interest - it'll be for performance/enthusiast drivers, by performance/enthusiast drivers, and I wish you the best of luck.

:D

As you said, you're targetting the highest risk groups, that means you're going to do more payouts than the average insurance company... so (like you sa you're going to have to have solid pricing to cover that, and to have a *large* amount of capital to start with, to cover any claims that happen straight away (and Murphy's Law says they will :D ).

Also, you're going to have to remain compeditive with the other companies who *do* cover young/high risk drivers, which may bring its own problems.

Hopefull you and your grandpa have/will have ideas to overcome these issues... being underwritten by a bank is the first step, I guess (Not an insurance guy, going on personal knowledge), and then just research the pricing of the others. Hopefully you won't have to price yourself too high... as we know, young people will go with lower pricing than loyalty 9 times out of 10.

Either way, good luck with it, hope it works out.

Ok, so I can't insure my R32 89 GTST 4 door with just cars, cause they don't exist. They will only let me insure it as a R31, (Cause that is what it is apparently) at market value which is $4-8000.

I guess my car doesn't exist.

• 2 months later...

Well RACV wanted $3.4K for me for a Series 2 RX-7 (non-turbo, non-import) for full comp and the car was valued for like $3k... joke and a half :(

I've got a couple of quotes from JustCar for insurance I'll add just for curiousity.

S14 (Series 1) pretty stock just $1500 stereo (purchase price $15000)

Full Comp JustCar = $4.2K

VSII Caprice 5.0LT V8

Full Comp JustCar = $2.7K

That's just ****ed... both easily as dangerous as each other and around the same value...

Anyway.. I just got a quote for what will pretty much be my next car:

'90 Nissan R32 Skyline GTS-t (turbo)

Purchase Price = $12000

Amount Covered = $11,400

$1500 Stereo System.

Premium Amount = $2,200.

Excess = $1550 (450 basic, 400 driver under 22, 700 additional excess)

That really surprised me.... just got it right then. Not too bad... for a 19 year old male, no driving history (clean) 20% NCB (1 year insurance so far) and in one of Melbourne's worst theft suburbs (sunshine) so it's not too bad for some reason... considering the other quotes.

It's all down to the age thing, guys... insurance companies live and die by it. Look at me... I've lost my licence once, had a fair share of speeding tickets, and a few accidents... but I'm rating 1 and I'm paying $607 full comp through Suncorp-Metway.

On the other hand, I got a quote from Just Cars... $1400... so while it's cheaper than some of the quotes above, owning a performance car will always attract a higher quote as well.

Ok, so I can't insure my R32 89 GTST 4 door with just cars, cause they don't exist. They will only let me insure it as a R31, (Cause that is what it is apparently) at market value which is $4-8000.

I guess my car doesn't exist.

:bs!: I'm with Just Cars.