SAU Community

Where can I find insurance for my import?

Something i did was the car is under my mums business name. RACV doesn't insure imports such as skylines supra etc. But since it is a business car they do, don't ask me why they just do. I was not on drivers list as that is about 7 grand a year (it was first car, r33 gtst) but we got comprehensive insurance under my mums name. We paid about 2600 first year if anyone above the age of 25 crashes it its 1400 bux excess. If anyone below 25 crashes it its 2400 excess. i kno its pricy but its piece of mind. Ie. just cars comp is 7 grand also or 3rd party fire and theft only go to like 5 grand or sumthink. this year it went down to 2100 premium and 1900 excess i think cant really remember. But yeah its a good idea if ur parents own their own business.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finding insurance sucks!! I am 39 and have been with Suncorp/Metway for 14 years of spotless driving. They wouldn't touch me!! I tried Shannons and got the same runaround about car clubs and they put me onto JCI. Still a bit steep and thankfully I live in a good suburb of Brivegas as my premium was under a grand for the first year and should be about $800 for the following year. I cannot get over the $7000 quotes for certain suburbs in Sydney!! Don't these companies realise that we take EVERY precaution to keep our cars in OUR possession!!

That's weird, Rhinorebel. Is your car heavily modded? I'm surprised Suncorp didn't want to touch you.

I got my quote from JCI, was $1600 for a year, plus $1600 excess... which isn't too bad I guess... up from $770 + 1600, plus can make way more mods to the car.

That's weird, Rhinorebel. Is your car heavily modded? I'm surprised Suncorp didn't want to touch you.

I got my quote from JCI, was $1600 for a year, plus $1600 excess... which isn't too bad I guess... up from $770 + 1600, plus can make way more mods to the car.

My car is dead stock as it came in under the new RAWS about six months ago. Maybe it was just the operator I got that day, but he was adament, no imports.

JCI were very good and explained everything to my satisfaction and just asked that any mods done are made aware to them.

Dave

I am 20 living in a good suburb in Brissy. I am buying a 1988 GTS-X that has been imported and insured for years. I knew i wasn't going to have fun as soon as people say "there's no such thing as a GTS-x"

I am a member of a car club and CAMS and i have been insured for my Silhouette and Falcon (both sold now) for over 3 years without a claim, or even a speeding fine.

Shannons gave me the arse in a second because i was under 25. So rude.

RACQ didn't want to know me because i said yes to their 3 biggest doo-doos

1) its an import

2) its a turbo

3) its been modified (an intercooler you say? ooh thats bad!)

So that leaves me no option but to go 3rd party with JCI. Havent got a quote back from them yet, but i'm not looking forward to it. I'm tipping it'll be about $1000 premium just for 3rd party.

Still, that's better than the $5,000,000,000,000 they wanted at rip-off young and cool. As soon as i saw that name i new i was screwed.

anyway, as usual it seems that having an interest in a car that the dead-heads never brought to Australia is as good as a criminal offence.

Apart from JCI, anyone got any suggestions for me? I am only going to go 3rd party, or 3rd party fire and theft at the most and i would be happy to be a nominated driver if dad could insure it under his name...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I got some quotes from just cars and got third party fire and theft for a 1989 toyota celsior worth 13g for $608 a year + $1500 excess wich isnt to bad considering im only 18 and its a gray import its also stored on the gold coast

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, i am relatively new at all this at the age of 18, however with this doesnt mean i dont lack the passion to own a Skyline.

in the upcoming months my dad wants to buy a car for me and him. Basically just the two of us. I was wondering if any of you guys knew the insurance premiums(an estimation coz i know it is all different) on insuring a R34 Skyline GTS-T.

Just to improve you estimation i can tell you bout myself. i am 18 within a couple of days. i go to a private school and live in Sans Souci, i read about this kinda stuff affecting insurance so i thought it would be appropriate to add it. i never been fined for anything or booked in anyway. my dad runs a company so maybe i can use that idea. But can someone give me full details on how it all works. i know i sound dumb, i am really god damn interested in buying one, i just dont wanna be flying blind. i got a guy who lives near me with a nice R34 GTR so i gonan go ask for info off him l8er. But pls if you can help whack away.

SliM, probably the best idea, at your age, is to get your dad to get the car insured under his name. For myself, I'm 29, rating 2, and I'm paying $770, but I also live in regional queensland.

I'm not going to say anything about an 18 year old driving a Skyline (and turbo at that), but for the love of god, please be careful in it, and read this site: http://www.shemboy.com

Dude dont worry, i not willing to sign a death warrant on any level. However i need to know R34 GTS-T insurance premiums that other people have...not trying tosound rude bro, just it is specific and if u havea idea pls tell me.

Hey man

I am buying a new car in a few months and I was looking at either an R34 GT-t or an S15 Silvia . I enquired at JCI for full comprehensive for the S15. I was told $1754 per year. I am 23 years old, Rating 1, no claims or accidents/speeding fines and I was shocked!

I mean, why is an S15 dearer than a bloody SS Commodore? I see plenty of guys my age driving new SS and XR8 utes with 260kw. These bogans can get insurance for under a grand yet am I more of a risk or does it havbe something to do with spare parts etc?

Anyway that's my experience. I'm a bit annoyed at the insurance cost because the car is only $26,000 and I'm paying a stupid amount for insurance I might not need...

Steve

Shannons don't only deal with Classic Cars. They only insure enthuiasts.

I can only speak for Victoria but Shannons have been looking after most of the GTCC Members for the last year or so. Most of the GTCC Members are over 25 though. However I know of one member that did get insurance for his 03 STI and he is only 21 or 22. So it all depends if you are an enthuiast.

They even insured my wifes Toyota Seca under my policy. Give Shannons a try.

Highly recommend them