SAU Community

Would You Buy Your Child A Car?

UMMMM - Peoples, do you all realize that teleportation is just around the corner? ie working tests have been carried out on atoms as such.

Cars, as we know them today, will be long gone in good time.

There will be phone booths at every corner, dial a number and *bamn* you are there, instant teleportation.

What oil is left in the ground when this happens (say within the next 40yrs- ???? hard to predict, could be 20yrs in my eyes) will be used for better purposes then simply burning it and poluting the atmosphere.

So NO - I dont believe I'll be buying my kiddies a car; If we are still driving in 15yrs time then they can use my wifes and we'll get her a new one!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, its just i know of alot of mega rich parents that do jack all for their kids, and i think thats a bit selfish of them...

Yea my folks a bit like that but i still luv em. You cant really not, there your parents after all :(.

hmmm....

my folks bought my sisters cars....

but for some reason, the Stag had to come out of my pocket!

I have a funny feeling thats going to happen to me. But i don't have a problem with working for what i want. That being said when i have kids i'd buy them a car if i could, not a sports car mind you, a nice safe one so i know there not driving around in a rust bucket :)

Rich parents probably want their kids to work hard and learn to appreciate a dollar, rather than raising spoilt kids (Paris Hilton?)

My kids will cop everything I did! My first loan was for $3K to buy a car when I turned 18!

Rich parents probably want their kids to work hard and learn to appreciate a dollar, rather than raising spoilt kids (Paris Hilton?)

Apparently she may have lost her Continental GT in a bet. :)

There is no one right answer to this question.

I worked 3 jobs to buy my first car, brand new and paid cash. Modified it, serviced it, crashed it, repaired it, raced it. Learnt heaps, cost me a fortune, but I had fun.

My son raced karts from when he was 10, so he knew how to drive long before it was licence time. We bought him an unregistered clunker when he left high school, we fixed it up and got it registered. I knew he would give it hell and he would have to learn learn some mechanical respect/sympathy. He works full time, so each car since the first one he has paid for himself, but we work on and service them together. It's good bonding, plus I know that he knows if he breaks it he has to fix it.

My daughter goes to uni full time and lives on campus, never touched a steering wheel until she started to learn how to drive. No clunker for her, too risky, so she has a new car. That will last her till she finishes uni, then she can buy her own car.

The above wasn't a predetermined plan, the decisions where made at the time. The only rule I had was they weren't going to have cars while going to high school, too distracting. Not necessarily the cars themselves, but the freedoms that come with self transport.

What I have learnt is that each person is an individual, what works for some doesn't work for others. So I take every decision as it comes and try not to prejudge anything.

:P cheers :)

PS, look.......a whole post without using the words "turbo", "wastegate", "tuning" or even "ECU" :)

PS, look.......a whole post without using the words "turbo", "wastegate", "tuning" or even "ECU" :)

But whats even freakier is an entire thread in the general discussions section without the words "flutter", "BOV" or "misfire"

There is no one right answer to this question.

The above wasn't a predetermined plan, the decisions where made at the time. The only rule I had was they weren't going to have cars while going to high school, too distracting. Not necessarily the cars themselves, but the freedoms that come with self transport.

What I have learnt is that each person is an individual, what works for some doesn't work for others. So I take every decision as it comes and try not to prejudge anything.

The "no car for school kids" I think is 100% correct. There is just too much temptation, too little maturity to deal with the freedom and reponsibility (to themselves and other road users) that having a car represents. We didn't care whether the boys were wanting to go to uni, get a trade or whatever; but a car while at school just didn't figure in the mix. And we didn't care what "everyone else's parents" decided, this was our decision.

I don't believe in pre judging, but I do believe in watching what went wrong for others and try to avoid going down that path. We found that the ways of guiding, rather than the actual view being pushed on the individual kid was where there were differences (ie some kids are more accepting of correction, others more defiant or manipulative).

The hardest job seems to be getting them through the teens without becoming a statistic but having a bit of fun in the meantime too.

Good on you ben your a rare young level headed fella.

Anyhow I met this young fellow tonight who is mates with my younger brother. He got transfered up here from hobart (he works for mcdonalds). He is 18, moved up here by himself met some people got a nice place to rent. Got another job at dominos as a shift manager and he juggles the two jobs. He bought a vt ss from auctions for 5k and spent another 8k painting it and doing it up to the point that it shits on a standard one he could have bought for more than he spent.

Really good to see.

I must admit, I am pretty succesful and Im 25. However at 18 I was a very loose young man in all respects and wasnt anywhere close to where this young bloke is.

Ill say one thing, young people stay away from drugs and binge drinking. It seems like a hell of a lot of fun but it catches up with you. Going to raves and dropping e's and staying out all night has consequences years later and If it wasnt for the fact I witnessed a really good mate loose his sanity to drugs it could have been me.

You really see the picture when your a bit older. Family, Self respect, Morals, Integrity are the most important things in life, and drugs and alcohol are what strips them from your list of prioritys if you get carried away.

Havnt written this for sympathy as I am quite succesful now and I have all of the things that I have listed above now. I just thought I would voice it because it might detour a few of you young ones reading it.

At the end of the day you would do anything for your kids that would be benificial. I guess it is on a case by case basis. If the maturity is there well f**k it buy them a car. If it is not and you think they would destroy it, make them pay for it and there is a lot less chance they will kill themselves as they value the car because they sent themselves broke paying for it.

Wow Some of you are really lucky, i started working when i was young and payed for everything myself. I guess it's only a cheap little rice burner but im happy with it until i can afford some sought of a turboed skyline.

I appreciate my car now and i really look after it. I'd try and get my kids to do the same thing.

Edited by nxcoupe