SAU Community

Would You Buy Your Child A Car?

I woudl just like to add ppl see red P's R33 and think spoilt little Cee You Next Tuesday. And i'm sure alot that coudl apply to but some of us still have school, go home assignment school work (those doing the HSC) then work saturday and sunday all day at shit rates to save for a car, still try and fit in sport, and gym (some sort of exercise) sleep, social life, and higher insurance.

So, how do you manage to fit all that in?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here here...

I'd like to see stats of the amount of nice cars that are written off or neglected to the point of destruction, by kids who get given these cars for nothing. I bet that 70-80% of these spoilt kids dont realise the real value of their cars and treat them like total shit as a consequence.... I've seen a few of my mates do this actually. its sad

You Pretty Much hit the nail on the head!

There is another breed of there children, here is a true story of this guy i knew back in the days of 03'

"mum, dad i wanna car!"

"sure son here's a brand new MR2 spyder"

"Cool!"

2 days later...

Other spoilt Kid: "Man what a crappy car!"

2 days later....

"mum, dad this car is crap no one likes is, i don't want it, i want another one"

"Ok son."

3 days later....monday back at school.

"Nice man!!!!!!!"

"Thanks guys"...as he drives his brand new 200sx Spec R fully optioned, to the student car park.

TRUE STORY

If i was well off and have a bit of money sure why not buy a car for my kid not that i have one at the end of the day if your parents had a bit of money and are well off they would mostly probabaly buy your first vehicle

Mine were well off and didnt buy me a car.

It a load of crap. Its like anything in life, if its free, its taken for granted.

i know many people on here will swear that its not the case. It is.

I dont agree that kids shud be given or only allowed a shitbox as a first car. How are they gonna learn when they jump from a 323 into a 400 HP GTS-T????

Most kids these days overlook some of the other performance cars out there that were perfect to start off.

I had a starion turbo, it was Quite fast, RWD, and taught me the basics of how cars react to different situations. I dont think I cud have ever asked for a better car to start off in. Back in the day.... pre skyline/180sx it was pretty cool, went hard etc.

Sadly, these sort of cars are mostly forgotten, with young impressionable schoolkids with the skyline/SS or nothing attitude.

my parents bought me my 1st car which is an r33 gts-t for my 18th birthday its now been heavily modified and its still the only car i got and i learnt on that car now im on my p's with this car...

all the ppl who say that if its free its taken for granted, have no f*kn idea on the actual individual, coz i thank my parents every day for my car, i treat it like gold, and look after it so much, when ppl ask how did u get it i say my parents got it for me...no lying just the truth...

the amount of arguments i had with my dad about helping me more with the car, i told him to go for a holiday spend the money on himself, but he said he would have rather give it to me to help me and see me enjoy my life...

he's been workin basically every day since he was 10 and would never let me work so hard that i would be missing important factors like family as the main priority, social, and sport

i now have my own business to 1) prove to all the ppl that have doubted me that i can't survive without my parents so who ever thinks that can get f**ked!!!!! and 2) to one day be able to support my parents totally...

being a parent is a big thing and its unfair to put ur kids thru slavery, its all about helping them enjoy their life.... 15 y/o workin day in day out for 50 bucks to me is just plain selfish and that makes u a TIGHT ARSE to put ur kids thru that is just wrong...

ben...

My parents bought me my first and second car .... i am an only child though and they are hardly struggling financially. Its not something i expected out of them - for them its something they wanted to do as a reward on making them proud.

Them doing this hasn't made me into an unappreciative slacker. I work very hard - 6 days a week almost 60 hours a week. I love and look after my cars that they bought me. I realise i was spoilt and i know i'm lucky.

As for when it comes time for my own kids ...... yes ..... if i was in a financial position to be able to buy them or help them out on their first cars - for sure. I'd rather them be spoilt and driving around in a safe vehicle than to have an absolute unroadworthy bunky cos its all they can afford.

I dont agree that kids shud be given or only allowed a shitbox as a first car. How are they gonna learn when they jump from a 323 into a 400 HP GTS-T????

At least they'll have had a bit of experience driving in any kind of car before trying to control a 400hp car.

Did you start running before you learned to walk?

I dont get it Scathing?

2BNVS : Thats all well and good in your situation, im happy for you, however there are quite a few people out that that I even know who dont appreciate it like that.

I believe that letting my kids earn for there first car gives them a good grounding. Its not about being a tight arse. At the end of the day, you pretty much get what you put in. Even earning 5 bucks an hour, you put in a hard days work and go home happy knowing that it went towards something.

This is not a question of who is wrong or right, its your opinion. Just the same as asking would you let your kids drink etc.

I didnt have the lovely family you did Ben but im not jealous as I am 25 now and have got there by myself now anyway.

If everyone in your situation reacted to generousity like you did in a posative way and didnt milk their parents for every drop then sure it would be a shame not to buy your kids any car you can possibly afford for them. But from what ive seen the MAJORITY of the time and in the case of my brother who was raised much like you its not the case.

Take it as a compliment that you have been so appreciative and responsible. But dont rubish us strugglers. Some of us didnt have a choice. It only rubs salt into the wounds of people who had to push troleys for 3 years to pay rent in a shitty unit and save for a shit car until things like study eventualy payed off.

My parents bought me a suzuki carry for my first car, but i wasnt old enough to drive so i just drove it around the paddock. Then sold it and bought a holden hq. i think kids should earn their first car in some way or another. No ones going to give ya a feebie in life. The pic is just want one looks like, i dont have the actual pics on me right now.

post-23798-1146134649.jpg

I have just turned 21,

I started work at KFC when i was 15

When i was 17 i had 1500 saved for a car.

My dads mate was selling a VK wagon for $1800 so my dad lent me $300

to get the car and payed the rego and 3rd party for me.

I payed him $100 a week till that was payed off. :)

I finished school that year and took a year off, just working at KFC part time moving to full time

Then i went to Uni doing Engineering and found that i couldnt afford to live like i had been while i was not at school. So i continued to work full time.

Last year i thought i deserved an upgrade, so i got a loan and bought a Stagea.

I recenty have moved states and am now living by myself. No hand outs!

I own my Stagea which i love, I still have my VK for the basic reason that i cannot bear to part with it, mainly because over 4 years of my life went into paying for that car, maintaining it and learning about the mechanics and how it handled, it had just enough power so i didnt kill myself, I love that car.

The VK was great apart from the fact it used a bit much fuel, but it had the mattress in the back with curtains and a set of simmons, digital dash that i had to work hard to save for.

The point i'm making is that because my dad taught me to budget and gave me tips and hints along the way i now live in a nice place, with nice cars that i love, i live comfortably and do waste a bit too much an grog etc, but he also taught me to have fun.

Life is about balance and respect and morals, Which i believe i have learn't from my dad who didn't give me handouts.

my first car was an 01 wrx when i was 16 now this week im getting a 10 second gtr r33 im now 18 never had an accident it doesn't matter what car you have its if you are responsible with it

And don't do Stupid shit in it i have payed myself for both of my cars (and no im not a drug dealer) just saved up for the wrx but am got half fianance for the gtr because im young doesnt mean we can not have fast cars it's up to yourself to decide how stupid you want to be in it

my first car was an 01 wrx when i was 16 now this week im getting a 10 second gtr r33 im now 18 never had an accident it doesn't matter what car you have its if you are responsible with it

man that is frikkin awesome! haha learning on a wrx...! wonder what the P's test was like...

jjamie

you had a WRX when 16 and now are getting a 10 second 33 GTR at 18 and you payed for it and you dont do drugs.

Gee, I wish the bank was that good to me.

parents as garanture yeh the p test was very interesting

ross80: yeh thanks mate i understand that theres alot of wanks out there that make the majority of young guys look like spoilt little pricks, ive seen it many times before...

on another note, i will never degrade or rubbish ppl who have worked for their car or something in their life, my parents did it when they 1st came to this country so dont get me wrong i think its great when ppl work towards stuff im currently doing it now with my business and future investments, its just i know of alot of mega rich parents that do jack all for their kids, and i think thats a bit selfish of them...

ben...