SAU Community

Mouting Thermo Fan

joh21m

Hi All,

Just would like to know what the disadvantages of mounting the thermo fan/s to the front of the radiator as opposed to the back like normal. I've got no room in behind my new radiator to fit a fan :D , so i was going to put it on the front.

So what are the disadvantages of doing this?

Thanks,

Joh

Im pretty sure that without the shroud it may not be as effective. Also I think to make the most of a thermo you should leave a few cm gap between the fan and radiator. If its hard up against it it will only cool the area it covers.

If you read the instructions that come with the fan, I'm pretty sure they will recommend mounting in front and pushing air through, rather than mounting behind and pulling air.

The main reason for mounting behind the radiator is that there is rarely any space in front, what with an A/C condensor and maybe a FMIC.

If you read the instructions that come with the fan, I'm pretty sure they will recommend mounting in front and pushing air through, rather than mounting behind and pulling air.

The main reason for mounting behind the radiator is that there is rarely any space in front, what with an A/C condensor and maybe a FMIC.

i was thinking if i got two 12 inch on the front it might restrict airflow thru the radiator itself.

thanks for the replies...

You really only need any sort of fan for when the car is stationary or moving slowly, which can result in a slight increase in coolant temperature. At general road speeds, the movement of the car creates sufficient airflow through the radiator to control the coolant temperature.

A single 14" or 16" fan should be sufficient for the job.