SAU Community

Stearing Wheel Shakes

R33sedanturbo

i own a r33 s1 sedan and ive all ready got a wheel alignment i let go of wheel and it is straight as can be

i have just purchessed this car and it is mint condition had to changea few things got a new turbo filter and new brackets for the turbo filter alot stronger ones got it serviced and racv tested all green good to go but the shakes where happing b4 i took it in to get it fixed and still same problem it has the shakes any one know how to fix or have same problem or what needs to be fixed it is very disturbing to me if so plz they missed it in racv test

Edited by R33sedanturbo

Shaking isn't due to a bad wheel-alignment, it'd be due to a bad wheel BALANCE.

Take your car down to a tyre-place, and get them to rebalance your wheels. They place a counterweight to stop that shaking at speed.

I'm assuming you only really feel this shake above 70ish? If so, it's not hard for them to miss it, if they don't drive it far or fast.

I am also owner of two 33 sedans, sounds like one of your wheel weights may have come off, causing one of your wheels out of balance. Or, it could be caused by your brake discs being warped (will shake then if you place foot on brake). If it is happening under brakes a very slight shake is normal (since disc brakes are machined very slightly out of round to throw pads out). If you could explain when the shake happens or perhaps try to explain it a bit better I may be able to get a more accurate idea!

Cheers mate

Shaking isn't due to a bad wheel-alignment, it'd be due to a bad wheel BALANCE.

Take your car down to a tyre-place, and get them to rebalance your wheels. They place a counterweight to stop that shaking at speed.

I'm assuming you only really feel this shake above 70ish? If so, it's not hard for them to miss it, if they don't drive it far or fast.

it doset shake at 70ish it starts to shake at 105 then when u get higher to 110 then it gets worse

at 70ish i dont know if it is a minor shake or not hard to tell at 70 ish but 105 it is really bad it dosent shake when u brake breaks are perfect couldent have em better

Edited by R33sedanturbo

Go to a good typre shop and get them to check your wheel weights. get them balanced just like what RANDY said. And one other thing, you need to take english and grammar lessons.

i would also get a wheel balance. BUT if that fails which im thinking it might. you need new tyres. I had the exact same problem, the car would voilently shake on exactley 110km/h. i know exaclty how you feel its very unsettling to have the car shake like that.

just go get a wheel balance, if that doesnt fix it, first replace your front tyres and it should fix your problem, if not try replacing the back also and it should be all smooth. i know its an expensive fix but i racked my brains trying to find the problem and ended up getting 4 new tyres for rego and it was fixed.

Edited by joh21m

Go to a good typre shop and get them to check your wheel weights. get them balanced just like what RANDY said. And one other thing, you need to take english and grammar lessons.

LOL!

There is also such a thing as a "high speed" wheel balance. Most places will just do a standard one, i'm not sure how fast the wheel spins in their balancer, but the high-speed balance should spin it up to 100+.

I didn't mention the braking wobble (which I have severely right now) because you said nothing about braking. If you brake and it goes away, it would suggest that you need a wheel balance or possibly check out your wheel bearings!.

Jack the front up (off the crossmember, never off the sump), then grab the top and bottom of the tyre, and try to pull the top towards you and push the bottom away. It's like checking a turbo for shaft-play, your wheel should have pretty much zero play. If it does, it will cause some wobble, and may even fail rego!

Oh, I mention that because braking would clamp the caliper, and take the wobble away if the wheel bearings were stuffed. I'm pretty sure that's how it would go.

just go get a wheel balance, if that doesnt fix it, first replace your front tyres and it should fix your problem, if not try replacing the back also and it should be all smooth. i know its an expensive fix but i racked my brains trying to find the problem and ended up getting 4 new tyres for rego and it was fixed.

Thats what I did but, I had shakes at a higher speed than 110km/h & it ended up being dodgey sidewall on one of my tyres. If it still happens after getting a wheel balance & before resorting to replacing tyres, check for loose steering linkages/ bushes etc.. or get a suspension safety check.

Ok i got a wheel balance to day. It seems to have fixed the problem the guy said the old ones have been taken off so there where no balances on em at all. Now i have balanced tyers and i did 120/h really quick and there was no shaking but he also check my brakes and suspension they are all good but the front tyers have some low and high spots on em he said that can cause this problem as well but it seems all good but will get new tyers soon any way and some rims