SAU Community

Lpg On A Skyline

Has anyone heard of a skyline running LPG? Apparently there is one in brissy, it was at a dyno comp the other week(where a r33 with nis33 plates pulled about 730hp). Does anyone know this car (one on gas, not nis33, unless it is the one on gas)? I know that it has been done on other turbo cars with some pretty impressive dyno results for a few reasons. LPG has a octane of 109 so you can wind the timing up, and it burns at a lower temperature then normal fuel (as does NOS). The problems I'm aware of is that it is hard to keep in tune. I was rather shocked when i first heard that turbo cars can run better on LPG while natro cars run crappier. I would've thought that they would loose power too, but the more I look into it the more i can see where there is bennefit.

I'm not looking at doing it myself but am just curious to see what results it has had on a skyline.

Edited by mad082

A LPG setup correctly done is likely to be more expensive than if you were to do the same with a Petrol.

But that said, it works, big power can be made no problem.

At what cost though?

How it works out in cost re-couping im unsure EDIT: As Lucien has linked us two

So for you "stockish" skyline im skeptical if there would be any benefit

I think people use LPG as more used as a way to get around emission issues. I certainly know people who have gone LPG for that sole reason.

You dont have to run a CAT convertor/O2 sensor etc etc etc.

I believe you can run aftermarket management aswell (legally) as emissions are less stringent with LPG etc.

Ok, i searched for LPG and came up with nothing. I'm not looking at doing it myself, but was just wondering if it had been done and what power figures had been achieved.

Ok, i searched for LPG and came up with nothing. I'm not looking at doing it myself, but was just wondering if it had been done and what power figures had been achieved.

Yeah, the search form doesn't like three letter words even when using a wildcard; you're better off searching for related terms (e.g. "petrol" or "petroleum", etc). Again, see the threads I linked -- particularly the posts from Sydneykid -- for a good start.

Yeah, the search form doesn't like three letter words even when using a wildcard; you're better off searching for related terms (e.g. "petrol" or "petroleum", etc). \

Yes, the search function on SAU is hardly the power of google where you can type in anything.

If "LPG*" didnt work you really need to use a little lateral thought and try other things related to it :(

Yes, the search function on SAU is hardly the power of google where you can type in anything.

If "LPG*" didnt work you really need to use a little lateral thought and try other things related to it :O

$1.50+ is what I am now paying for BP Ultimate so maybe more people will start looking into gas

LPG is good on BBQ and thats where it should stay until they devise a proper and efficient way of introducing it into the port as a liquid via some control system.

I'm with rob...LPG is for cooking, not running cars

I want to see the government get real about lowering emmissions in australia, and begin to offer a 100% ethanol fuel. Apart from emissions it will save the sugar industry over here as well, allowing australia to "god forbid" possibly become self sufficent for its energy requirements!

Ethanol as a perforamnce fuel can be pretty darn impressive too. Sure there are some minor engineering issues to get around, but thats nothing compared to the benefits...

Woops.. hijack... sorry.

I want to see the government get real about lowering emmissions in australia, and begin to offer a 100% ethanol fuel. Apart from emissions it will save the sugar industry over here as well, allowing australia to "god forbid" possibly become self sufficent for its energy requirements!

Ethanol as a perforamnce fuel can be pretty darn impressive too. Sure there are some minor engineering issues to get around, but thats nothing compared to the benefits...

Woops.. hijack... sorry.

I concur.

Ethanol can come from many sources - just ask the AWB...

Even if if comes from brazil, it gets my vote...

There's another thought... Should australia import ethanol from brazil where their economy needs it, or over priced oil based petrol from terrorists in the middle east, where they drive silver plated cars and have gold plated toilets?

Wow an economical solution that benefits the environment, and a 3rd world country. And its the correct moral choice too! Thats just crazy talk!

I've heard that Ethanol is not a sustainable resource - or very hard to sustain due to it's low calorific value (correct me if I'm wrong). Ie you need stacks of sugar to produce ethanol.

Even though everyone is running on it in brazil, they are using the sugar faster than they can produce it.

So we shouldn't use a renewable natural resource which can come from ANY GRAIN CROP because current supplies couldn't handle it if everyone in the world changed to use it, and instead should continue to use a limited supply fossil fuel of which the supply is not garunteed because the oil companies like it

or something like that...

EDIT: offtopic. I'll leave my post (mostly cos I wrote it). A good question would be, out of ethanol and LPG, which one has a higher 'calorific value' - or enigy density.

Edited by ebola

There's another thought... Should australia import ethanol from brazil where their economy needs it, or over priced oil based petrol from terrorists in the middle east, where they drive silver plated cars and have gold plated toilets?

Wow an economical solution that benefits the environment, and a 3rd world country. And its the correct moral choice too! Thats just crazy talk!

Yea thats all good for the short term. But just consider the corruption and greed in the Brazilian Gov't for a second. Some time in the future when you rely on Brazil instead of middle eastern countries, is it not possible that Brazil will just become the next Iraq. What to stop them getting rich and greedy aswell?

Next thing you know America will add them to their "Axis of Evil list" and ther're goes your correct moral choice. Then what, move on to the next third world country we can exploit? When it comes to money, one place is just as fcuking corrupt as the next.

Yea thats all good for the short term. But just consider the corruption and greed in the Brazilian Gov't for a second. Some time in the future when you rely on Brazil instead of middle eastern countries, is it not possible that Brazil will just become the next Iraq. What to stop them getting rich and greedy aswell?

Next thing you know America will add them to their "Axis of Evil list" and ther're goes your correct moral choice. Then what, move on to the next third world country we can exploit? When it comes to money, one place is just as fcuking corrupt as the next.

have to agree with you there... the brazilian government is likely just as corrupt as the US. If brazil were to be seen to be getting an advantage over the US they'd just have to be evil right? Bombing them would be the only option!