SAU Community

/gtst Problem

hi just wondering if anyone can help me with my line.Recently when i start my cartheres a loud rattling\knocking noise.Also the car will not boost at all.It will go up to the half way line on the stock boost guage but not any furthur.The car feels extremly sluggish and unresponsive.But after you drive for about 5 mins the noise goes away and the car will boost.Even then when the car idles it keeps skippng quite alot like its about to stall.Does anyone know whats wrong.

Also the car will not boost at all.It will go up to the half way line on the stock boost guage but not any furthur.

Umm... the stock gauge is in mmMg... not PSI

So about half on the gauge is around 7-10psi which is correct.

I would advise getting a boost gauge as the stock one is hardly reliable at the best of times

with an exhaust leak

it will sound really loud and farty

it will take a while to come on boost (lots more lag)

as the exhaust backpressure is leaking

also fuel economy will suck the wang.

if you have an exhaust leak is it onl vageuly present at idle (ie: you can only just tell) but if you rev it, its dead obvious. a bit like an old tired volkswagen beetle

when you first start the car it sounds like a knocking rattling noise and when u rev its really loud and just sounds like shit.What could cause it.did the ppl insatalling it do a shit job.i got it done a yr ago so was it them or wat

if it is in fact the exhaust leak its just the gasket fails.

mine failed @ 145,000. it basically fails to seal anymore and blows a hole in it. this results in an exhaust leak. it comes on full boost eventually just takes a bit longer as the backpressure isnt as high. you need to replace which ever gasket has failed

1) exhaust manifold

this is between the engine and manifold. its a long 6 port one.

2) dump gasket

this is between the dump pipe and turbo exhaust housing.

3) turbo flange gasket

this is on the one between the turbocharger and manifold

this was the one failed on my car

the full gasket kit costs $150 but its a fair bit of labour to have it all replaced as all that crap has to come off and be unbolted. and its also likely some of the exhaust studs will snap (i had 2 snap) which takes more labour to get them out.

are you in melb? i can have a quick listen and confirm if its exhaust leak

can even be as simple as the locking plates under the nuts on the turbo to fail and the nut to come off.. check all the bolts are on the turbo, and tighten em up.

cross fingers the gasket doesn't require replacing.

wat can cause an ehaust leak
if it is in fact the exhaust leak its just the gasket fails.

mine failed @ 145,000. it basically fails to seal anymore and blows a hole in it. this results in an exhaust leak. it comes on full boost eventually just takes a bit longer as the backpressure isnt as high. you need to replace which ever gasket has failed