SAU Community

Catch Can Install Options (with Pics)

OK peeps

I've come up with 3 options for installing / plumbing my new oil catch can (separator) into my R32 GTR. There may be other ways – and I'm still open to suggestions.

The first image is how things look now. I have the breathers off the rocker boxes joined, with one side plumbed off to the plenum side and the other side plumed off into one of the turbo side AFM pipes.

Option 1: I leave the rocker box breathers joined, block off the plenum side, use a t-peace to join the secondary breathers into one side of the catch can, and then return back to the turbo side. This is still a closed system, and I assume it uses the vacuum pressure generated by the turbos to suck air/oil from the rocker boxes (through the can) and back into the engine.

Option 2: is very similar to option 1, only without the t-peace – and I rely on the standard join in the breathers to deliver the gas/oil from the left hand rocker cover over to the catch can

Option 3: I modify the catch can (or get another one) to vent to atmosphere, block off both the plenum and the turbo side and simply plumb the rocker breathers into the catch can. This is no longer a closed system, and I've herd stories of guys blowing the filter off their catch can, and ending up with oil residue all over the engine bay (oil fire !!). I can't see how this setup would manage to FORCE any of the oil/air mixture thru the can - but it seems to be a popular way of installing one of these.

Also - will blocking off the plenum / turbo breathers have an impact on tune (mixtures) etc

Talk to me guys – what is the best / safest way to do this

I plan to use braided lines throughout – and I will take pics along the way – so I can share this with anyone else wanting to do the same

post-11736-1146782574.jpgpost-11736-1146782594.jpgpost-11736-1146782618.jpgpost-11736-1146782632.jpg

dont believe they have a pcv valve on those.

and they all look fine. only thing is the last option is illegal.

T piece option will be more expensive, but with braided lines etc i dont think you care :D

or you can replace the fitting on the rocker to be L shaped only.. run them direct to the oil/air separator, then a 3rd line to the inlet.

• 2 months later...

mate, your rocker covers aint sucking anything in if they aren't connected to the turbo inlet or the plenum. where is the vacuum going to come from???

Gary, of those 3 options listed which would you reccomend for a street GTR? light tune.

mate, your rocker covers aint sucking anything in if they aren't connected to the turbo inlet or the plenum. where is the vacuum going to come from???

Gary, of those 3 options listed which would you reccomend for a street GTR? light tune.

reverse blow by? lol

Option 3, I don't care if it's illegal, it's technically the best method.

:teehee: cheers :P

ill take a pic of my one, option 3 style.

It had a chinese catch can on it, the inlet hole was littereally 3mm, pressurizing the crank case, was pushing some oil out the turbos on hard acceleration as you back off, i removed the catch can and let the pipes come stright out for a test run, no smoke nothing. So i constructed a free flowing catch can system works well.

I bought the filter for 30-40 (k and N)

sheet of alloy for 20 (could make 4 catch cans easy)

1m pipe of alloy for the filter attacment (8 bucks)

then 50 to get it all tigged up then i polished it my self