SAU Community

Upgrading R32 Ignition Parts?

The best possible cheap upgrade you'll be able to do is to switch to a 3 coil waste spark system with a MSD DIS4 cdi box. I when I say cheap i mean provided you source your parts from ebay.

No its not a bolt on solution by any means, but when installed you can run 1.1mm plug gaps and it blasts out 45kv+ sparks which is easily good for 30lb+ boost.

Consider it one step away from the HKS CDI ignition system. It fixes the issue of overheating coil packs too, because they aren't installed in the head anymore.

Edited by GTST4Newbie

Well in my case i scored my MSD DIS4 from ebay in the US for $150USD, landed here cost me 230AUD inc freight. To that I added $35 worth of ignition leads and a Haltech 6 coil pack for $235. So for $500 is all up i've got an ignition system that makes the Splitfire coils look like the toys that they are.

Wiring is pretty easy. You need to pair the outputs of the coil pack ignitors into their waste spark pairs which are 1-6 2-5 3-4. They connect to the MSD and the MSD then drives the coils.

I've relocated the battery to the boot so i can mount the MSD on an alloy panel that fits where the battery used to fit.

You CAN leave out the MSD and just fire the coils directly from the ignitor module too. Wiring is the same... This will provide a decent upgrade to the ignition output also, and save you the cost of the MSD.

Sorry the car's in the panel shop at the moment getting a re-spray so I can't take any pics for you.

What i've done though is i've cut away about 3-4 inches from the back of the coil cover and then mounted the coils forward of that. The leads then go from the coils to the back of the engine thru the hole that the cut away part exposed, to each spark plug.

I've used leads with a 90 degree bend off the end of the coil post so it all looks pretty tidy with the wires bundled together.

I'm going to photograph the car inside and out when its back from the panel shop and post up the pictures soon.. hopefully next weekend at the latest.