SAU Community

Adr Speedo Regs

Does anyone know the rule about speedo accuracy? I'm under the impression that according to ADR your speedo has to be accurate the + - 10%, is this realy true? if where can I get some doco on it.

Thanks

Google + 30seconds of my life

The Australian Design Rules are available on CD-ROM. They can be obtained by emailing [email protected]

ADR 18 relates to speedometers.

A recent update to this soon means these are to read 100% accurate when at 100km/h, but may read up to 10% above that at indicated higher speeds.

Basically mirroring UN/ECE requirements.

however i'm pretty sure that rule cannot be applied in retrospect (? i think thats the word... i.e. thats only for new vehicles, not vehicles that have already been made to comply with the old ruling of +/- 10%)

It's a bugger you need to pay for the doco. I'm just trying to get off a speeding fine (119 in 110), as my speedo was showing between 110 - 113ish at the time. And I will be getting the speedo corrected in the next week.

usually 5 k is knocked off what the reading is to allow for speedo error so u woulda been doing about 124 kph n then they take 5 off n book ya for 119