SAU Community

A Day With Matt Spry

Col-GTSX

You are correct. The bandwidth is less but the Z32 has it's limit....and that limit is lower than the MAP sensor. There are many advantages in using the D-Jetro but like you said...does cost more to tune.

I retract my lazy statement as I was not there for the conversation. It would have been nice to see the D-Jetro in action as many tuners turn away from them. I have no doubt that Matt can do it but it would have been nice to see the overall result. One thing I can guarantee is that you would have had a much sharper throttle response and would have made more power on the D-Jetro.

My goal was to take an r33 to the point of traction breaking fun... Then back it off a little till the car is like its on rails... I mean i have 255 wide rubber on the rear and at 242rwkw it was turning them in second gear and so i backed it off to 198rwkw and i can just hold it as she comes onto boost...

The torque in my car is fat as.... Its in V8 country.... I dont think that the torque output could be achieved with a D-jetro due to the way the car is setup in term of other modifications. Its not the power that turns the wheels its the mind blowing torque i have achieved thanks to Matt...

I believe I could have spent about $1400 more doing the jetro and i would have achieved similar power maby 5% more on 17psi but i would not have achieved anywhere near as much torque at such low revs... Plus $1400 is better spent going towards cams and larger injectors cause that will get you more power than a jetro any day of the week if thats your goal...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story Col

I must say it is quite annoying to those of us who have been in the car modifying scene for awhile to think that some people just chase horsepower with the asumption that it is the be all and end all of the equation.

A well set up car with a "useable" powerful torque band will always be a credible contender regardless of how high the horse power is.

Especially if you are into track racing instead of being a dyno queen!

Read my sig for further clarification

Thanks Dale... If you get stuck or need a hand i dont mind helping... (30 minute job including burnt hair)

Good excuse to drink beer and talk crap at the same time also...

Thanks Col,

may have to take you up on that offer man.

i'll return the favour with a few beers in return of course :(

hmm, tuning god aye.

thats going a bit far isn't it.

what about other great tuners such as Gavin Wood and Nick from brisbane turbo and tuning.

its not like pfc is the hardest computer to tune either compared to a motec or something similar.

u will find gavin wood and matty spry work togeather alot.

gavin's the man for road tunes

matty's the man for dyno tunes

Great story Col

I must say it is quite annoying to those of us who have been in the car modifying scene for awhile to think that some people just chase horsepower with the asumption that it is the be all and end all of the equation.

A well set up car with a "useable" powerful torque band will always be a credible contender regardless of how high the horse power is.

Especially if you are into track racing instead of being a dyno queen!

Read my sig for further clarification

Who was that aimed at?...I don't recall assuming horsepower was the be all and end all of any equation.

I work on facts. The fact is that if the Jetro was used, torque would have come on earlier...how is that not more "useable"? If Matt took the time to tune the Jetro on Col's car he would have achieved a greater result.

After all he is the God of tuning is he not? Give him any system and he can do great things...the point I am getting at is that given his experience in tuning it would have been far better to utilise his skills on a BETTER setup.

Can anyone disprove that the D-Jetro is a better system? If so you had better be able to back up your claim with facts as I have.

P.S. AFM bandwidth means sfa when the time is taken to set it up properly. The only con so far is cost of tuning and at best it would only be an extra $100-$200.

Who was that aimed at?...I don't recall assuming horsepower was the be all and end all of any equation.

I work on facts. The fact is that if the Jetro was used, torque would have come on earlier...how is that not more "useable"? If Matt took the time to tune the Jetro on Col's car he would have achieved a greater result.

After all he is the God of tuning is he not? Give him any system and he can do great things...the point I am getting at is that given his experience in tuning it would have been far better to utilise his skills on a BETTER setup.

Can anyone disprove that the D-Jetro is a better system? If so you had better be able to back up your claim with facts as I have.

P.S. AFM bandwidth means sfa when the time is taken to set it up properly. The only con so far is cost of tuning and at best it would only be an extra $100-$200.

who was it aimed at?

no-one in particular, you seem a little bit jumpy there Dan.

I was referring to the new members of the car modifying community that come on here and other sites claiming that they want "ex amount of horse power" and then they will be the "queen of summer"

whereas if they chased a fat torque curve they would surprise the dyno queens out there, when it comes down to "real life track racing"

who was it aimed at?

no-one in particular, you seem a little bit jumpy there Dan.

I was referring to the new members of the car modifying community that come on here and other sites claiming that they want "ex amount of horse power" and then they will be the "queen of summer"

whereas if they chased a fat torque curve they would surprise the dyno queens out there, when it comes down to "real life track racing"

Jumpy? ofcourse I'm jumpy....everyone is against me...rofl.

Nah, I agree with you. You can have high hp without high torque but you can't have high torque without high hp. I'm all for torque, that's why I'm happy with my 600 odd Nm. I still don't have an impressive track time though. Trial turbo has the wrong setup.

Even those who don't have the impressive torque or horsepower can achieve great results on the track....you've only gotta see Azzurra in action to know that.

My goal was to take an r33 to the point of traction breaking fun... Then back it off a little till the car is like its on rails... I mean i have 255 wide rubber on the rear and at 242rwkw it was turning them in second gear and so i backed it off to 198rwkw and i can just hold it as she comes onto boost...

The torque in my car is fat as.... Its in V8 country.... I dont think that the torque output could be achieved with a D-jetro due to the way the car is setup in term of other modifications. Its not the power that turns the wheels its the mind blowing torque i have achieved thanks to Matt...

I believe I could have spent about $1400 more doing the jetro and i would have achieved similar power maby 5% more on 17psi but i would not have achieved anywhere near as much torque at such low revs... Plus $1400 is better spent going towards cams and larger injectors cause that will get you more power than a jetro any day of the week if thats your goal...

So the REAL moral of this story is, you need better suspension, and better tyres, and put your power back up to where it should be :worship:

And personally I dont like PFC's, I think the only reason they gained any popularity is because they were plug and play, and cheaps as. Now other companys have cottoned on to the idea of plug and play computers, hopefully it wont be too long until people start to realised. That said tho, most people really have no need for the extra features, or even the pfc hand controller. Thats my rant anyway.

Also Matty tuning for mines or hks? What a waste! :spank: Keep him here where he can actually help people out.

Everyone around the track will tell you chassis tuning and tyre selection is just as important if not more so then engine power/ torque. You can have 1million hp and 50000ft/lbs of torque....it will do sfa if it cant be put to the ground and more so used at the times when you need it, rather then when it decides to come on. Low power and a great chassis setup with good rubber can make for great times with a loose nut behind the wheel :worship: Hence why a goddamn barina(stock, with only suspension mods..wait i think it had a pod filter:)) can pass me at morgan park on short circuit track.

I dont see where you get 100-200 bucks from... Its more like 1200-1400...

The D-Jetro costs $1500 without a hand controler where a normal pfc is $1000 with a hand controler, so there is $500 difference... Tune time is about 2 more hours so add $400 and a good quality map sensor is $400 plus then you got the cost of the hand controler ($200?).

Add up all the extra costs and you get 1500 bucks more than a standard setup... What i said is that money can be better spent on cams and or injectors and or another turbo and all of those upgrade will achieve more than a D-jetro could alone...

so whats Matt's hourly charge on tunning, Col?

$200 per hour inc GST

Im not gonna argue with you Dan cause i know ill win... :P

But you are not seeing my point...

D-Jetro is for people with money!!!

Spend the same amount on alternate mods that you would spent on tuning and buying the bits needed for the D-Jetro and you will do better evertime...

Also to those who dont know my car, the suspension and tyres are setup for circuit use and street use... There is not much more i can do to the suspension or tyres that will suit my budget.... As i have already spent enough in that department with bilstein shocks and whiteline sway bars and king springs and adjustable castor rods and hi-cas lockers and a 1.5 way Tomie LSD...

Anyways rant over...

Im not gonna argue with you Dan cause i know ill win... :D

But you are not seeing my point...

D-Jetro is for people with money!!!

Spend the same amount on alternate mods that you would spent on tuning and buying the bits needed for the D-Jetro and you will do better evertime...

Also to those who dont know my car, the suspension and tyres are setup for circuit use and street use... There is not much more i can do to the suspension or tyres that will suit my budget.... As i have already spent enough in that department with bilstein shocks and whiteline sway bars and king springs and adjustable castor rods and hi-cas lockers and a 1.5 way Tomie LSD...

Anyways rant over...

Bloody hell hey. You got the cradle bushes done yet? And I know you just got a decent wheel alinment so it shouldnt be that. Bit odd tho. Because I know of a number of cars putting down a lot more power than that, with far worse suspension.

Forgot that mattys dyno reads low tho... So that could be part of it.

actually saw you again this morning Col, on gympie road. do you work at aspley or something? i waved in my maxima, but its a bloody maxima and u didnt see me,lol.

Yeah i work at Harvey Norman Aspley... Funny i came out of the driveway at brumby's this morning side ways due to (insert some bs excuse here) and the street oppisite had half of the QLD police force in it. Some bomb making gear and bombs were found in the side street behind work anyways... I was not paying attention and did a very stupid thing infront of 100+ cops...

Needless to say i got a phone call 2 minutes later with a "dont do that infront of some many of us again please". Arhhh yes... Stupid Col gets a bit of power and it goes straight to my head...

So in short i dont spot many people cause im always in either dreamy land or im paying 100% attention to the road...

sup col, im super interested in what sort of fuel economy you are getting with that power (bout the same as mine)

Um well first tank was 330km til light came on and half of that was highway and the other half was on the dyno screaming... So had to say as yet....

lol, you couldn't have a picked a worse time to do that hey.

i wonder if "sorry officer was just trying to get out of the blast radius" wolud be acceptable..

Was very dumb, I was not aware what was going on as i was listerning to a "Hi 5" cd and not the radio...

So i was like look up and ohhhhh sh1t... Lucky i know so many of them...