SAU Community

Hey guys. I'm expecting my car back from the panel beaters soon, and realise that my gearbox bearings are gone. I already changed my thrust bearing when i put my HD clutch in about 5 months ago. I've noticed a whining noise when the clutch is up, but when the clutch is engaged, the noise stops. My brother in law suggested i put a Supra box in it but whats the go? It cant be straight bolt-on because everyone here would have 1 in their Sky's. Any advice, or any1 got a working 32 manual box for sale???

Christ man... Supra 6 speeds are bloody expensive and well as being bloody heavy as well. Especially if your thinking about putting it into an R32 GTS-T. If anything stick the proven application of using the RB25 gearbox if your worried about breaking your box. What sort of power are you running?

Christ man... Supra 6 speeds are bloody expensive and well as being bloody heavy as well. Especially if your thinking about putting it into an R32 GTS-T. If anything stick the proven application of using the RB25 gearbox if your worried about breaking your box. What sort of power are you running?

I dunno how much power i'm running. Got Nizmo exhaust, frontmount cooler, 12psi, pod filter thats it. Someone told me that R33 gearbox's have electrics so it's a headF**k to put into RB20. WHats the price difference between RB20 and RB25 gearbox?

Looking at about ~$1k for a RB25DET gearbox.. lol if you think an RB25DET gearbox would be a headf**k to put it.. believe me putting a supra one in would be worse.

If your going to stay at your current power level I would not even bother with putting in a RB25DET gearbox, just find an RB20DET one and save yourself the hassle and expense.

Well you seem to know your stuff a fair bit. I started up i think 2 or 3 threads in the WTB forums about a gearbox, not many ppl replied. I'm under a tight budget coz of Uni so i think i'll have to take my time. Plus, i'd prefer someone in VIC so i can check it out and get warrenty if i can, so i don't have to worry about if it's damaged or not.

I've noticed a whining noise when the clutch is up, but when the clutch is engaged, the noise stops.

In my car when i put the clutch in i hear it and when it's out it's gone. A friend told me it was the thrust bearing. I have no idea if it's true but so far it hasn't affected anything. My friend said he has had that for 8 months and nothing has gone wrong. It does sound a bit wierd though.

Dude just keep using the box until you cant change gears. THATS when you need a replacement. Its a 18-14yo sports car with more power than standard, you have to expect it to wear a bit.

That or get it rebuilt, cost about as much as a 2nd hand rb20 box.

I went the RB25 box simply because I dont like spending money twice, as I'll be doing an rb30 at some stage, the rb25 box was the way to go.

I put a rb25 box in mine... The way to go! You need a r32 gtr speedo drive, modified tail shaft, re drill and slot your gear box cross member bolt holes.