SAU Community

H Beam Vs I Beam Rods

Daves stupid question for the month,

After market rods seem to be one of 2 types, h beam or i beam, where as stock rods seem to be all I beam. Other than the obvious different appearance is there an advantage to either of the two?

Cheers

Dave

i have been told by a mechanic that the H beam are lighter than the I-beam while still remaining strong.

so are good for revvy engines.

sure there will be alot of different opinions.

Daves stupid question for the month,

After market rods seem to be one of 2 types, h beam or i beam, where as stock rods seem to be all I beam. Other than the obvious different appearance is there an advantage to either of the two?

Cheers

Dave

We use I beams in engines that we intend to rebuild often, they tolerate more handling and light hits. You can stuff a H beam rod with just the slightest nick. Otherwise no difference in the real world.

:ermm: cheers :)

Can you ellaborate on that one please SK?

(re: "stuff a H beam rod with just the slightest nick"

i think he means that once you nick a H beam it dramatically weakens its structure as it uses a design to be strong when complete, and the thickness of the H in the rod isn't really thick..

only analogy i can think of is an alluminum can

if your a light weight you can stand on one without it crushing, but if you tap it on its side while on it, it'll crumple real quick..

same sort of principal.

Edited by Craved