SAU Community

How To Know If Cracked Head Or Gasket?

hey guys a mates r33 gtst out of the blew has started to idel very rough and it begain to over heat so all hoses have been changed and flushed the system and added coolant.... also when car is turn off water in the overflow bottle is bubbling???? anyone know whats going on

all help is much appreciated???

take the radiator cap off and let the engine idle, if the water bubbles and froths up and has oil in it then u prolly blew a head gasket, take it too a mechanic they got a thingy they put on there and if it loses compression etc etc.

I guess this wont help, but anyway...

Had the same prob on my BMW, the earlier owner had changed headgasket, rebuild the head, and changed cooler along with some other things, when i bought it.

It acted the way you describe, but there werent any oil in the water etc, and if it idled for a somewhat long while it started to stutter, and the water in the overflow bottle started bubble.

Someone mentioned i should check if there were air in the watersystem, and there were some, got it out and now its a whole lot better.

Probably wont help you but who knows, it might :thumbsup:

bleed the radiator again, using the tap near the plenum that has the label "do not open when hot"

other test is for exhaust gas in the cooling system.. they put it over the cap and it changes colour if gases are in it...

for $330 for a cometic metal gasket and time if your mechanically minded then you can fix it up easy and cheap if it does show gas.

water is going out the exhaust brother, Chemical testing the system is the way to go, blown head gaskets dont always blow to an oil gallery, most common is cylinder to cooling system. other test is to pressure test cooling system with spark plugs out, then crank engine, if water is blown out of spark plug tube, thats bad.

something has caused the car to overheat, repair leak, check thermostat, flush radiator. Blown headgasket is the result of something else failing.

' date='23 May 2006, 06:34 PM' post='2194735']

could it be the water pump?

where does the leak go to?

Edited by Bezerkly

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Weird the Gktech one doesn't have the 3 holes and is only a 5min install if you have the standard front bar.
    • Honestly, as someone on the standard PS4 controller, should be relatively easy to get gold. Remember you have more grip than you think.
    • Fitted some Advan AD09s to try next. Likely slower than the CR-S but should work in the wet and last longer.   Off for alignment and the new plates worked a treat! I was finally able to hit both my drift and grip alignment targets with the same setup! Grip Front: Toe total -2mm(1mm out each side) Caster +7° Camber -3.8° Ackerman +15° Rear: Total toe +3mm (1.5mm in each side) Camber -1.5° —————————————- Drift as above but drop the front sway bar and change the below. Front: Toe total -10mm(5mm out each side) Ackerman +5°  
    • @Duncan can you put the Link in, and measure all the power input voltages with a multimeter. Specifically looking for one that is low.   Then put the other ECU in that it runs on, and measure those voltages again with a multimeter?   If all of your voltages read normal on both ECUs, but the link is still reading low internally, your issue IS the LINK. If the voltages drop low on the multimeter while the Link is plugged in, but not other ECU, then the issue COULD be wiring in the car, or it COULD be the ECU. To rule out wiring, work out how with an ECU removed, you can trigger all the necessary relays, and then measure resistance from the pin that is reading low at the ECU, to the batteries positive power.   I have a sneaking suspicion your issue is the link, it's not reading the voltage properly, possibly a dry joint, or a Cap dieing, and because voltage is low, it's likely attempting to compensate on fuelling and the engine won't run.
    • Hi there, Does anyone here have the carbonetics slam panel installed on their R34 GTT? Or used to have one and got some pics of how it sat? https://carbonetics.net/products/1999-2002-nissan-skyline-r34-gtt-cooling-slam-panel?srsltid=AfmBOoo6Uz0nuxGI3qC0sn56KJI6PMgh0OvV-pbegsPDHTtTxz4IMljc I’m just trying to get an idea of how they sit once installed but these guys have no pics.  biggest question I’m trying to figure out is what the hell the 3 holes at the front of the panel are 😂 and where they bolt    Thanks in advance