SAU Community

Cruise Accident

Nightcrawler

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but ....

Before topics get posted and the rumour mill in Adelaide starts I wanted to let everyone know what happened.

Approx 8 Skylines were travelling at approx. 100km an hour (in a 110km/h zone) in a dual lane road (which was damp) heading slightly uphill. The oncoming lane was single lane, but had a semi-dotted line for overtaking into the middle lane of our 2 lane road, when safe.

It appears an oncoming green Festiva was overtaking, crossing into the centre of our 2 lanes, and has hit Drew/prof_dls (who was in the middle lane) almost head-on. The festiva appeared to be momentarily airbourne, then was struck by another maroon festiva (or similar car) after it hit the ground, spinning the green festiva around onto the road shoulder.

Needless to say Drew's car is a write-off. When I left, the emergency vehicles has arrived and were starting their work. Drew appeared to be trapped in his car, and was very shaken up and disorientated. His airbag had gone off, but he had still hit his head very hard on something. Due to the massive damage of the car I can only assume his feet and/or legs were trapped.

Unfortunately the young *edit* male (for various physical reasons - blood etc - I originally thought the driver was female) driver of the green festiva was trapped heavily in his vehicle, and appeared to be deceased. His young female passenger appeared to be quite seriously hurt, and was highly distressed (mostly about the driver I think).

The other festiva was damaged but the driver seemed ok.

So all in all it was a terrible accident, especially when Drew was only in the wrong place at the wrong time. We were all being responsible and had had a great cruise.

My heart goes out to you Drew, I massively hope you are ok. Please let us all know asap if you are ok, and if there is anything we can do for you.

Andrew

** update - I heard on the news that the other driver is indeed deceased, and Drew was airlifted to the RAH. I will find out exact details of Drew's whereabouts and organise a visit in the near future.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry to hear about this. I hope drew is OK as well as the others involved in the accident. Its always bad to hear about this sort of thing happening to people we know

On this sad note, were it not for people maintaing safe distances between cars this accident could certainly have claimed another few vehicles.

Our thoughts are with you Drew, and with the occupants of the other cars.

When we left drew was being air lifted to a hospital and the other person was seriously injured! (maybe going in the heli also)

Sarah and I both send our heart felt sympothys to all involved!

such a terrible thing to spoil an otherwise smooth and safe day. :)

Well put nightcrawler... hope drew is OK! The girl in the green car certainly didn't look too good and it was a bit of a shock for us all. Yeah drew was just in the wrong lace at the wrong time. There was no speeding or silliness involved.

Hopefully insurance will sort everything quickly and I suspect drew will be looking for a new ride but he will be thankful that the 33 took the impact so well.... the cabin was fully intact, testament to the engineering ability of the Nissan designers.

Best wishes...M.

wow, definitely not something I expected. :)

All the best to every one involved. I hope every one is ok, and those who witnessed it, I hope your not shaken up too much.

May I ask which stretch of road this incident occured?

EDIT: It was just on the news then. A stretch of road at Strathalbyn, they showed pics, there was a fatality.

Its definitely obvious the festiva was overtaking, the right front corner of drew's R33 took a majority of the impact.

this was just on the 7 news. the scene was shocking with a huge amount of damage to the skyline, the other car involved was covered up.

there was a fatality involved

again all thoughts to the familys of the people involved

Edited by Whiplash

I hope Drew and the others get well soon. Its unforunate this happened. We were all driving safely and its so absurd the Festiva was on the wrong side of the road on such a long straight stretch without noticing all the traffic coming in the opposite direction.

My condolences to the deceased and good luck to the others who were injured. I hope this never happens to anybody.

Edited by Busky2k

Really sorry to hear the cruise ended this way. I hope you have a rapid, pain free and compete recovery Drew. My heart goes out to the driver of the other car.

hey guys,

The driver of the other car was a male not a female, just hard to tell in such a serious accident.

Drew was well shacken up but he looked ok.

We will all go visit him soon ok people.

well take care drew see ya soon.

Damn.........Drew i hope there is a quick recovery mate!!!

This is cerainally not what i expected to see posted on here as i logged on! Unfortunatly these things happen, and sometimes there is things we cannot do about it(in this case Drew's)

Condolences to all the injured and especially to the family of the young lady that lost her life......this sort of thing should never happen to anybody!

Maybe next time we have a BBQ or something a little lower key!

Darren

I don't usually come on here much, but after hearing about the accident I wanted to send my condolences to Drew and all the other people involved.

Although said by many others, I hope all have a speedy recovery.

RIP.

Benny

Having seen the footage on TV, I'm amazed that Drew is still alive. His car took a BIG hit. Testament to the safety of newer cars with airbags etc.

Condolences to the family of the Festiva driver - an unfortunate lapse in judgment, but nobody deserves to pay for their mistakes with their life.