SAU Community

Ch 10 Lose V8 Supercar

There is some stuff on SBS and Ch31 in Melbourne but it's time they stopped treating all other motorsport like a filler piece done in BS arty methods.

It's motorsport FFS, not another outlet for their creativity eg. the wanker that does the dutton coverages. What a c0ckhead. Also if the cars are in the other group from him they get no coverage.

Be nice if 10 could get the other stuff off the ground. Pity Barry's not around anymore, he and Dick would do a geat job hosting it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind mike raymond, he's like a fat murray walker. As long as crompton dosn't come over, i'm so sick of hearing "because i used to drive these" and "what most people don't understand, and I do because i drove these", and being told what a roll center is for the 50000'th time.

I hope 7 show the support races live, I have some tapes of ch7 races from the early 90's and they have support races (even though the telecast was pushed back to the erly hours of the morning or somthing), i'd love to have and afternoon of V8's, utes, lil aussie races, gtp, and historics.

Channel 10 might even show the F1 racing live, and the qualifying.

Edited by sav man

Channel 10 might even show the F1 racing live, and the qualifying.
That will never happen simply because the F1 races start at different times every race. Sometimes it could be midday, other times it could be 6pm and other times 9pm and that is too much hassle to be shown live.

That will never happen simply because the F1 races start at different times every race. Sometimes it could be midday, other times it could be 6pm and other times 9pm and that is too much hassle to be shown live.

I hardly see that as an argument, as heaps of other contries get live F1. most of the races start between 9-11 AEST at night, and 10 chose to put a crappy movie on instead.

Didnt chan 9 get trackside for a while??? Not sure but I thought I saw it on there once or twice???

I think Speedweek is probably the best racing on telly atm anyway. Its got some variety, etc.

Few other things to think about, digital is now starting to become a bit more affordable. So we SHOULD get at least 2 digital stations, so we SHOULD have a choice on what sport to watch. But if not I've got to run with V8s loosing out. It cost a whole lot less than the AFL, like a LOT less. They will protect there 'investment'.

I think chan 7 might also be starting to cut it pretty fine. Look at the way they are protection prison break. State of origin was on tonite, no prison break on chan 7...

The other bit is, Australia would be hard pushed to support a show like topgear, or at least done like topgear. There simply isnt enough people with enough money to have supercars all over the place. They would run out of things to do very quickly, that or do 'enthuistis' cars. I could see that being short lived too.

Yeah I agree, speedweek is the best around by a long shot, they are even covering the NSW state champs sometimes (ie when we scrape together their $10k for 1/2hr coverage fee)

Gday Jo....re Targa, even the top guys got pretty poor coverage this year. Wouldn't it suck if you had retired a winning 34 GTR for a lambo?

this is bullsh1t! ch10 do a pretty damn good job of it, i reckon. ch7 are hopeless at big events and live broadcasts..... foxtel do show the v8's, but its only once or twice through the week (never live...) and its the channel 10 broadcast, they just re-run it.

I wouldnt be too certain that Foxtel will show any V8 replays next year :)

Hey guys,

I work at channel ten and i to am pissed about losing the crazy taxi's. Whats happened is channel 7 put in a bid that was not comercially viable. So they will actually be running at a loss when the show the v8s. Why? i dunno maybe just to give us the finger at ten.

Channel 7 are not going to be the ones producing the coverage, Avesco are suposedly creating a production team from scratch and then giving the footage to channel 7 to air, so you can bet it is going to have anything on the channel 10 broadcasts which ten have spent the last 10 years improving.

The one good thing about this is that there should now be a more comprehensive coverage of things like wrc, moto gp, f1 and the likes. Hopefully more local stuff to.

I dont work in the motorsport section so don't take my word for gospell but it should be a reasonably informed opinion. Also as far as i know all the comentators are probably still signed to ten so wont be going over to the channel 7 coverage.. well at least not yet.

I wanna see Dennis Cometti and Dermott Brereton up in the "coaches box" calling the shots live from Mt Panorama :)

What, you didn't like the old 7 line up, you would regularly get:

Bruce MacEvaney calling everything/everyone "special" and salivating over the likes of one P Brock. I used to fear for Brockie's leg when Bruce was doing an interview. :angry:

Doug Mulray attempting to be funny.

Sandy Roberts (No comment)

Richard Hey - the so called pommie expert.

Mike Raymond & his satanic spawn Andy....

The only decent, knowledgable commentators were Mark Oastler (now doing his Australian Muscle Car thing) & Neil Crompton when he wasn't driving.

Channel 7 used to do interviews with the likes of Ernie Dingo during the Bathurst telecast for farks sake.

Atleast the recent team know a bit about the racing and don't try and use the telecast solely as a vehicle to promote the station.

Anyway you lot. You are all soft. To anyone who lives outside a metropolitan area motorsport coverage on Saturday is a complete non event. Most of what is telecast is transmitted on Sunday night after 10.30. It is common for the F1 to start at 10.30 & the V8's to follow from about 1.00am going through to 5.00am. When WIN are broadcasting that Big Brother shite it doesn't start to 11.30 or later.

We never saw any 2L super tourers, Indycar/CART/IRL racing, don't get rpm & half the time the footy clashes with the channel ten sports tonight program & you don't even get the results from Saturday until you look them up on the web.

If you live in WA you will never have even seen the overwhelming majority of the "national" series, simply because they never get over this way. And don't start me on the WA government & what they did to Rally Australia. :wub::D:):laugh:

The reality is that channel 7 have paid that much for the footy nothing will supplant it, least of all motor racing.

Great sanger, so we get more WRC, more moto-gits and more boring F1. If that's the case I'll find something else to do with my Sunday that won't involve Ten, unless Sandra and Natarsha do some bikini shows :D .

Ask them why not cover some state stuff and the national non super-taxi rounds. The answer will be "they need to pay" of course but with no exposure there is no money to pay. By concentrating on only the headline crap that very few can afford to get involved in there is less money for sponsoring feeder classes, or even grass roots.

If Ten wants to screw Seven right back, they have to keep market share for that timeslot with something more realistic/interesting to make a big production V8SC uneconomical. Seven are just making up for Super Tourers. Don't get bitter, get even.

i actually dont mind cromley commentating. i dont even HATE bill woods, though he is a bit of a tard. my opinion of him softend a bit after he cried on telly after barry shene died. though i thought that was a bit much.

I've always thought on the whole tens coverage was very good. i would like more in car etc. but they have improved a lot over the years. telemetry is good, in car is good (lots of angles) so on the whole i think this will be a step backwards.

i'm not too fussed as their is heaps of good stuff on fox anyway.

5th gear (much better than top gear)

indy cars

nascar

american prototype series (love it)

some times porsche racing (farkin love it)

WRC (they have excellent coverage and presentation - unrivalled i reckon).

i preferred the channel 7 coverage of things, bathurst was a classic example, you'd get 2 full days of coverage, and theyd show everything, all the support races, the dirvers lap aorund the track for the spectators, everything that went on..

now days you get the top ten shootut, and the race, and two hours of woods and compton rattling on, channel ten stuffed it..

classic example was the v8 round in wa a couple weeks ago, some of the historic and saloon car races where absolute rippers, the v8 races where so utterly boring i had trouble staying awake on the first race on saturday, and actually fell asleep for most of the last race on sunday..

the support clases had much better entertainment..

im gunna peg avesco don't want that shown tho, as people might pay more attention to the interesting racing, compared to a bunch of riced up taxi's which share nothing in common with the cars they're based on winning races in the pits, unless you punt the other guy off..

touring cars now days is utter shite, bring back group A

Mmmmmm, dont know about this evnture for tchannel seven. I just hope crompton, and all of the other quest drivers plus the regular channel 10 guys get some sort of imput in the 7 telecasts (fat chance though) because they really kow what they are talking about when it comes to not only V8's but the entire motorsport scene. I just hope that 7's telecasts dont turn into a "fox footy channel type" commentry...........pretty crap and no background info..........

Well, just have to wait and see i supose.

Regards Evan

Yeah I agree, speedweek is the best around by a long shot, they are even covering the NSW state champs sometimes (ie when we scrape together their $10k for 1/2hr coverage fee)

Gday Jo....re Targa, even the top guys got pretty poor coverage this year. Wouldn't it suck if you had retired a winning 34 GTR for a lambo?

The MOST I heard about Targa this year was that mini crashing. That was it, only news coverage of it I saw. No idea who won. Considering its meant to be one of the worlds best road rallys, and peice of Australan history I think that stinks.

But I think abc need to step up. The have Lawnblows every week, and the QRL. I think they could fit in the odd race here and there. Especially with ABC2 starting to kick along.

Anyway. Out of interest Duncan, how much is $10k for you guys? And do you know when the drift makes it to the telly, were they paying or were the TV chans taking a chance with that one?

Whole V8 supercars thing was bullshit from the start, people blaming poor attendance, poor ratings for the motorsport in australia dying off so they started this inbred fest which we've been fed for the last 13 odd years and Joe Average probably thinks is the only form of motorsport in this country.

Personally I hope Ch7 does a horrible job, it dies and they roll its wallowing, boring carcass into a nice big deep hole for all I care. Hell the only real sales of falcadores are for fleet now, the vast majority of new car buyers figured out theyre crap ages ago and either spent a little less or a bit more on something else from overseas, (not that theres a lot of local product left in a ford or holden anyway...)

At least if we got a proper touring car championship in this country again I'd like to see it an international event, wouldnt have to Group A but they could at least have more than two brands bumper to bumper.

Theres tons of local motorsport in this country with real competition and vehicles that dont have a half million or more pricetag on them which are far more accessable to people than some painted up two-brand race which has only served to distance people from the sport in its own way. Sadly SBS is the only one that bothers covering it and it's got nowhere near the amount of timeslot to do much with it.

also people remember it was Channel 7 that invented /created the lipstick camera/ miniature cameras that are inside most cars in nearly all the major classes of motor sport worldwide (it was developed especialy for the cars racing bathurst so maybe it wont be all bad by going to channel 7.

yes channel 10 do a good coverage but only of the main event .Any foreigner here watching it on tv would be sitting back thinking damn thats a long break between races because not even the details or results of other races run on the program get televised so fingers crossed channel 7 can pull something out of their ** and make a decent show of it

you are absolutely right dangerous_daveo, $10k is SFA even for state level racing when it is spread over 40 entrants (only $250ea we pay more than that for the entry fee) and the reality is almost everyone could get $250 a round if we were on TV.

But in the end many of the state racers treat it as a hobby, only a few of us treat it as serious business. So the hobby guys just see an extra $250 cost not the opportunity :rofl:

Which is a damn shame because combined touring car racing is a bilion times better to watch than super cars

few things ive noticed while scrolling this thread

a. 5th gear is not better than top gear.

b. who like looking at the drivers helmet in car? i dont.

c. sbs do a good job, but the comentators give me the shits. they also have to work on the coverage of a race. sometime i dont know what im watching.

d. 10's bathurst coverage is crap.

e. mike raymond and C7 was instrumental in what you see today, ford vs holden.

f. the v8 supercars is getting boring. this is the start of change.

g. the touring car F1 supports have always appeared on which ever channel was showing the F1 (C9 up to when C10 took over) so it wont make a blind bit of difference now

h. its quite funny that C7 and C10 are in bed together for the footy but C7 kicks C10 in the balls for the car racing.

i. sandown 400 or 500 has been on abc, sbs, C7 and C10.

j.mike raymond was ok. he had a sence of humor. even green was ok to. the other "footy" comentators where a pain in the ass.

k.progress and more money has seen more camera at races and thats why you get to see just about evrything not because C10 do a better job.

l. bogans at the F1? what are F1 fans then? crazy MF'ers.