SAU Community

How To Fix Missfire Problem

MKDR33

i had the missfire in high revs up around 6000rpm but only in third

i have a high flo turbo running 15psi with an apexi power fc

so changed the plugs and made the gap a bit smaller, goes well in third

but does it a bit around 5 in fourth

should i silicone the coilpacks or jus change the gap some more??

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly great DIY guys...

I have a r34 gtr and its having similar issues as some of the ones stated in earlier posts, under WOT the car would feel like its hitting limiter at about 5.5k-6k RPM. I have just noticed this problem ever since it has become colder...

I'm keen on trying this out over the weekend as a quick fix till I can source some splitfires. I plan to silicon then tape for extra measure. Although my question is, when a coil pack 'fails' what tends to fail within the unit?

Cheers

I have an r32, it had a bad misfire at 1.1mm gapped plugs (which i put it after i bought it, a mini service) the ones I pulled out were 0.8mm and the misfire was still there but not as apparent. With 1.1mm it misfired from as soon as the PSI started going positive.

Anyway, $400 later and some JJR coilpacks are in and its smooth as silk.

Don't bother with half assed fixes, just bite the bullet and pay the money, its well worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey i got an r33 GTS, non turbo of course and i had the miss-fire issue too but it was only on idle once the car had warmed up.

I did the tape fix to test if it was the source of the problem and it ran as smooth as a baby's arse.

Went to bunnings and did the silicone thing today and they'll be back in tomorrow after school.

Thanx and yet again SAU to the rescue for $10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey sorry to bring up an old thread but is that stuff still called Selleys 401? I went looking for it at Bunnings, Placemakers, and Mitre 10 and noone have it. I noticed the original post of this was in 2006 so it could have changed name? Also i live in NZ which may have something to do with it.

Hey sorry to bring up an old thread but is that stuff still called Selleys 401? I went looking for it at Bunnings, Placemakers, and Mitre 10 and noone have it. I noticed the original post of this was in 2006 so it could have changed name? Also i live in NZ which may have something to do with it.

This is the stuff mate

Selleys Silicone 401 RTV

• 2 weeks later...

This fix is hit and miss, getting splitfires is your best bet if it doesn't work.

Also having a rich tune and poor sparkplugs compounds the problem, making sure you aren't running lower than 11.5:1 will help dramatically as well.

• 2 months later...

Hey sorry for digging up an old thread.

I did this fix today with the silicon, after putting everything back and fired it up, I'm now getting white smoke..

What could be the problem? I'm positive it's not condensation.

Never mind, it was just condensation.. took awhile to get rid of though :blush:

This fix worked a treat, had a minor flatspot problem that was fixed along with the misfire!

The missus did most the work, took everything apart and applied the silicon on the coil packs.

Had to take off the intake manifold as it blocks the coil packs, such a pain :)

• 3 weeks later...
i had a misfire issue as well and i tired everything , but the fix for my car was the fuel filter..i went down to repco and got myself a new one , changed it over and i was running normal again.

once the old fuel filter was out , i blew through it and blackish petrol came out of it , so a bad batch of fuel along the way caused it.

I had same issue, misfiring under acceleration and a rough idol. I replaced the filter and the problem seems to be be fixed. Had previously checked spark plugs which were fine. Thought the fuel filter would be a cheaper/easier fix and so far seems all good.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this today. My coilpacks visually look fine, but my head tells a different story. There are visible "lines" on the head at around the level of the joints of the coilpacks' plastic moulding. My theory is that this has been caused by the spark jumping from the coilpacks to the head. Over years this has led to the head pitting and causing the lines you can see in the photo.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone else notices this on their head.

Circled: Pitting in the head

04102010926.th.jpg

Different sides & different coil packs:

04102010923.th.jpg

04102010924.th.jpg

04102010925.th.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys i got a question about my skyline lol, well just like urs its miss firing and the engine lights on n ive been everywhere with quotes and have six different diagnosis' can u let me know which u think it is cause when i hit around 60k's the whle engine shakes maybe a transmission problem or coils but either way its gunna cost me unless you guys can help?? i dont really know that much about engines but i love my 34 :) so yea help needed

Thanks From Erin <3

• 9 months later...