SAU Community

Gtr Race History

G'day,

Can someone tell me what racing history the GTRs have? I know they dominated 'Group A' and JGTC but what years, what races and what freakin year model etc were winners? What year model and what type of GTR was Dirk Schoymans lap time winners R33 and R34? As much info about this stuff will put my mind at rest,

Ta, KG

Dirk Schoymans lap time around the Nurburgring was 7m59s that was in a lightly modified R33 GTR & I think it was a '95.

Edited by pkblade

I believe there was a production car championship in about 1990 or 91 in Japan, an R32 GTR won all 29 races in that series.

The GTR was built to win races, it was designed to be better than anything available at the time, which is why it did so well. Today they have a bit more competition, which I guess is why they don't seem so dominant anymore.

it comes down to the level of development that has gone into that 34 GTR

On one side, the v8 supercars are limited by their class

(eg limited to 5 litres, RWD, Live Axle)

but on the other side, it would take a hell of a R34 GTR to beat one of the quicker Supercars around a circuit.

in the end, the two cars are not in the same class so the question is irrelevant

Thanks for that fellas. As far as the R34 goes does anyone know what year and model Dirk did that lap time at Nurbergring? Has that Blue R34 from the Calsonic team won any championship series? I've seen it all over the place but haven't seen too many wins? Its good to know who won what as I'm sure the competition would like people to forget how dominating the GTR has been. GTR - The killer of Group A!

I think a few years back a JGTC supra was in OZ lapping phillip island and was doing times about 8 seconds faster the V8 supercars. I know there big differents between V8 supercars and JGTC car but just though it in food for thought.

Brad

I think a few years back a JGTC supra was in OZ lapping phillip island and was doing times about 8 seconds faster the V8 supercars. I know there big differents between V8 supercars and JGTC car but just though it in food for thought.

Brad

Although, the Supra would probably have been running a 3UZ V8 in it :D as opposed to the 2JZ-TT & thats where the similarity ends. You'll find the most significant differences & advantages of the Super GT cars over the Super V8s is their Formula 1 like suspension setups & tires.