SAU Community

Turbo Suggestions!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this is the strange thing with these turbo I am quoting the number physical stamped gt2560r 707160-5 on the turbo BUT the garret website list them as you said gt2860r 707160-5 go figure the reason I keep quote the gt2560r number is so when someone pickup a set they will know they are the same.

Pete

3li3 32 as you mentioned the smooth linear power curve makes these perfect for street/track use as they deliver power early and smooth and very predicable so you can the maximum down to the ground.

Garrett stamp them as 25-60's & use 28-60 as the reference in their literature. They are the same turbo.

If you need turbos for track work the motors torque curve above 4000rpm is the only section of any real interest as revs shouldn't drop below this on the track. See mark up of the attached dyno chart. Note that I am not sure of the middle torque curve (ie don;t know what car it is off), but the other two are my car (Stock R32R at 13#) & Pete's (28-60's + bling). Someone with a GT-SS curve may want to further mark the thing up by way of comparison......

post-5134-1149134264.jpg

post-5134-1149134756.jpg

Edited by djr81

Garrett stamp them as 25-60's & use 28-60 as the reference in their literature. They are the same turbo.

If you need turbos for track work the motors torque curve above 4000rpm is the only section of any real interest as revs shouldn't drop below this on the track. See mark up of the attached dyno chart. Note that I am not sure of the middle torque curve (ie don;t know what car it is off), but the other two are my car (Stock R32R at 13#) & Pete's (28-60's + bling). Someone with a GT-SS curve may want to further mark the thing up by way of comparison......

They actually aren't the same. The new literature might have been the reason for the name change but the 2860R is the 707160-5 (which you said) but the 2560R is Garrett's reference to the highflow GTR turbo. They actually use your stock exhaust housing and match it up to the 28 front. It does work out to be ever so slightly smaller in size than the 707160-5. The 2560's are good for about 600 awhp whereas the 2860's are good for about 700 and they have a very deceptive power curve.

They actually aren't the same. The new literature might have been the reason for the name change but the 2860R is the 707160-5 (which you said) but the 2560R is Garrett's reference to the highflow GTR turbo. They actually use your stock exhaust housing and match it up to the 28 front. It does work out to be ever so slightly smaller in size than the 707160-5. The 2560's are good for about 600 awhp whereas the 2860's are good for about 700 and they have a very deceptive power curve.

The point I was making was that when you buy a GT28-60 707160-5 and when you actually receive the turbo from Garrett the tag on the turbo is stamped with 25-60. That is what the photos show - both mine & Ronin 09's.