SAU Community

ok cheers

sorry missed that

umm so the gearbox and transfer case are different compartments?

and to drain the transfer case you need to undo the plug that is on the drivers side of the case? (cause last time i tried to undo it, it was impossible)

Is there any thing else i have to do when i drain the transfer case?

sorry about all the questions but iam new to this gtr stuff (i didnt realise how complicated a GTR is!!)

The trasfer case is attached to the box ( round on the drivers side of the box) the drain pug is at the side and the fill plug at the rear.(about 1.8 lts atf in that) . Just drain and refill, i dont know why every one says they are impossible to undo, all you need is a long breaker bar and some mussle. Sure they are very tight, probably never been undone in 15 years..

ok cool thats the bolt i was tring to undo! and i dont have a breaker bar so i will have to struggle with a normal socket spanner!!

So i dont have to air any lines once i have drained and refilled the tranfer case?

ok cool thats the bolt i was tring to undo! and i dont have a breaker bar so i will have to struggle with a normal socket spanner!!

So i dont have to air any lines once i have drained and refilled the tranfer case?

There are no lines there mate, unless you are thinking of the attessa , that needs bleeding if you want to change the fluid there .

Get yourself a big and quality breaker bar ( one that wont break and you may hurt yourself) say 400mm long , then all you need is a very small extension( the smallest one you can buy), you dont need a socket at all. The 1/2 inch will fit in the pugs you have to undo, just make sure its all the way in when you put load so it doesn't slip.

ok cheers for all the info

but i have just one more question, which is what oil you guys use for the diff, cause all the problems that iam having seems to stem from the fact that some guy at convertries told us that i can use superlight shock proof oil for the gearbox, diff and transfer case.

And thats why i think iam having issues with the grinding noises in the diff and transfer case!!

Look my guess is that the guy you spoke to assumed a gtr used a centre diff like a wrx or evo. It uses auto trans fluid and works very differently to a diff.

Gearbox and front and rear diff can all use the same oil (LSD gear oil 80w90) but Nissan recommends:

Gearbox 75w90

Front Diff 85w90

Rear Diff 80w90 LSD

Look my guess is that the guy you spoke to assumed a gtr used a centre diff like a wrx or evo. It uses auto trans fluid and works very differently to a diff.

Gearbox and front and rear diff can all use the same oil (LSD gear oil 80w90) but Nissan recommends:

Gearbox 75w90

Front Diff 85w90

Rear Diff 80w90 LSD

so good news fixed all my problems :PBJ: with a litre of high temp atf and a litre of 80w140 (which looks like honey).

it ended up begin the wrong oil in the transfer case and in the rear diff.

no more grinding noises and other random noises!! :P

Thanks wrxhoon your idea with the breaker bar worked beautifully.

Also thanks to everyone else for your help!!!

I am now off to coventries to :) the guy how sold me the oil!!!!

just to add, i put about 1.6ish L of ATF in the transfer case, and 2.8L on shock proof in the gear box. Rattle sound i had from a bearing is now gone. Seems to be fine after its expedition with no oil.

Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...

Guys, Sorry to piggy back the topic...

I have a RB20DET manual tranny bolted on a RB25DET.

I'm planning to change Gbox fluid soon, so is the oil filling up concept the same for a 20DET box...must i fill up at the tranny and not from the shifter?

My moto when working on the car is don't go stingy on tools. You end up either breaking the tool AND/OR slipping and cutting your hand bad.

I always say, either buy the right tool or don't do it yourself. There are times where I just don't want to do it myself e.g. changing a clutch.

The box plugs are tight, but not impossibly tight. I have a 42cm breaker bar with a nice rubber handle. I get it in tight, apply force - feels like i'm gonna explode (i'm not very strong), then it slowly turns.

Gtst can be filled through the shifter, but why would you want to?

Forgot to add, I wouldn't use a ratchet either to undo a box plug.

Shifters aren't meant to be used for really tight bolts. You will slip the ratchet and brake it AND/OR slip and cut your hand real bad.

I bought my breaker bar for $120. I know that it won't break on me. Is a nasty scar on your hand worth saving 120?

I would happily pay 20k to not cut my hand up.

T04GTR

nope haven't done it yet will be soon.

MANWHOR3

the reason I ask is becoz i remember vaguely the last time i changed the tranny oil my mech actually filled up through the shifter. I dont recall seeing him top up at the tranny itself but i could be wrong and all this while i have been driving with no problems or funny sounds.

Btw does flushing out with some fresh oil benefit in any way or is it a waste to do so?

When I first got my car, it was very notchy and clunky.

I got the oil changed to vmx80. The old oil was so dirty it wasn't funny. It was completely black and was chocked to the max with metal filings. The shifting was about the same after.

I thjoguht that the vmx was crap, so I got it changed to some motul gear 300. when the vmx80 was dumped, it was still quite dirty. There must have been quite a bit of crap in the housing.

The shifting was still about the same. That's just the way my box is. Maybe my synchros are slightly worn.

Regardless, by doing it twice, it was certainly cleaner. Besides, vmx80 is cheap. It's like 40$ for 4L, so why not?

Cheers