SAU Community

Dangerous Driving

kounj002

Hi I was caught speeding June last year at 5/530pm by a speed camera doing 94 in a 50 zone, I was on my p's at the time had recently purchased the car and basically know how immature however un-intentional my actions were. Anyways I had to go to the cop shop last year to go through paperwork and I received my summonz for court a few days ago 11 months later.... Was just wondering if anyone here in Adelaide has been charged with dangerous driving and what punishment they received. ...I was told I could loose my license for a year, 6 months for breach of p's condition (I was on my p's at the time) and 6 months for dangerous driving (40kms or more over the limit) and a fine between 5 and $800....this is a first offence btw.....Any feedback would be awsome

Think a mate went thru this a number of years ago........he got a letter from his work(Bob Jane at the time) saying he needed his licence for work, So after court they gave him 1 point and basically a good behaviour thing. He also was able to pay the fines off weekely or monthly(cant rememeber). But in saying this it was a few years back and i don't know what the deal is these days!

^^ You'd be suprised.

I had to face court over a driving with undue care charge, i had to cop the 3 points (they were backdated to the date of offence tho and i'd appealed since then so they just got wiped), but i only got a $75 fine an kept my licence.

Basically - when you go in, have a letter from your boss, and talk to the legal aid representative at the court before you go in. They're usually very helpful, and will sit down with you explain what to say ya da ya da.

with my court date your whole official jargon of the charge was read out, then the judge asks you if there's any incorrect information or anything you'd like to add. That's when you say i have a letter from my boss, if i lose licence i lose my job, my job is not only employment it's developing into a lifelong career, i realise now how stupid my actions were 11 months ago and i believe i have matured greatly since then, and ask not to be convicted.

Avoiding conviction is pretty much 0%, but it makes ur point that u don't want to be screwed up. If you're lucky you'll get a cool judge, and u'll keep ur licence. I've seen people keep it for worse things.

god luck

A friend of mine was caught doing 125 in a 50 zone.

He lost his license for 6 months and received I believe a $300 odd fine.

I really think he got off lightly with both the fine and the suspension as he had a lawyer present.

I was on Ps back in 1995 and was followed by a car thru back dirt roads at 1am in the morning, car had high beams on right up my arse - scary shit, I thought they wanted to mug me for my oldies car. Real scary. At the time had no idea it was Police.

Anyways, lost em (knew the roads lol) on Piggot Range Rd but 5 cars / 8 cops caught me on States Rd. Frisked, searched, almost gang-raped lol. Refused to sign the black book as the cop was scotish anc I couldnt understand a word he said, made me seem like a real wankewr so I refused to sign the book. They were ropeable (senior scottish fella and brand new young fella, wankers). Got done for dangerous driving, driving with undue car, speeding 90 in 60 zone.

I talked to the prosecuter and had a big meeting with him, he threw out the speeding charge (no evidence) but went ahead with the dangerous / undue care charges. I took photos of the dirt road which showed everyone drove in the centre of the road due to slippery gravel and overhanging trees.

Got thrown out of court. Prosecuter was pissed, made a rant and rave act in front of the judge, he got held for contempt of court LOL. Judge told me to leave then gave the prosecuter an earful. LOL. Funny. Everyone in Christies Beach courthouse looked at me in wonder / awe. I reckon after that everyone was a winner. :mellow:

Previously, Id been done on Ps coming down Willunga Hill at 144 in 100zone, stupid me had my VW in neutral and didnt realize my speed. Lost 3 points as I went to court to say I needed car for work (with letter as advised) and with bus route maps. Lived in the hills at the time so I had no buses and no way to work. Fined $100 court costs plus speeding fine of ~$300 back then, 1 point left on Ps, and an extra 12months on Ps.

Go to court, state the facts, dress well, be polite, pleed your case - you'll be ok. I hope. Depends on the judge I guess. Obviously we dont condone illegal activities on SAU forum but as we all know, mistakes happen. Be honest, be upfront and cop the punishment on the chin. My guess - 12months extra on Ps, 3 points lost, $$ fine. It was a school zone, so they will come down on you.

Good luck.

Edited by Tangles

Driving in a manner dangerous carries a MANDATORY minimum disqualification period of 6 months. Doesn't matter who your lawyer is, what paperwork/excuse you give, or how nice the magistrate wants to be - if you are found guilty of that offence you will be walking for 6 months at least.

Actually, I've just checked, and you're lucky it was before 1st December, as the minimum is now 12 months see this link:

http://www.lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/index_article.asp?id=5088

i was picked on by undercover cop for going thought a late yellow light in town on pulteney st, and the cop said i did a red light, im like no way man...i wasnt even speeding, it would have changed red over half way through the intersection...(this was at like 3pm on a sunday) and i spent 10 min arguing with him that i didnt go though a red light and in the end he said ok im gona do u 4 failing to stop on a yellow light, im like wtf...so now i sent in my take me to court form and im waiting for a court summons....the other cop with him had no idea wat was going on and when is said 2 her wat did u c she goes, its between u n the other officer...

only reason im disputing it is 1, i have 2 points left and 2, the cop was an asshole

piggot range road was dirt in 95??

mad fun!! :D

Most of it is still dirt. Back of States Rd etc and top of Upper Penneys Hill Rd.

Yeah, back then as a 16yr old I used to do silly things on that road (where my oldies live) in my awesome 1960's VW Type 3 wagon (gripped sensationally - thank god!) and then my 1.6L Celica '77 mustang hatch. Stupid me. Since me wake up call in front of the Judge, I dont believe Ive ever done anything silly in a car on a road again. I owned a 5Ltr VR SS and not ONCE did I ever do a burnout. True. I grew up.

The bike is a different story - but Im thru with riding, wont ever ride again, and now need to sell my bike soon. Anyone know anyone looking for a hi-po sports bike for under 11g's?

Edited by Tangles

I've been through this mate.

155 in a 100 Zone.. Went to court, copped 6 months no licence, and paid my $481 fine. Take it on the chin mate and learn your lesson. I have and am now driving again. It will be a painful 6 months but you will learn your lesson..

Rules are there for a reason - to protect yourself and others, remember this.

I got done 1st week having my skyline 120 in a 60 zone, was the weekend before the automatic license loss over 45kmh of the speed limit. had to pay the $353 fine and 6 points loss.

A laywer will help your appeareance in court, you obviously dont have anything in your favour, so you would be guided by their judgement and what they are able to bargain with the prosecutor.

Judges make a big difference, some are tough, and others let things go a little.

I got a laywer, explained my situation and they were able to drop 3 counts against me and loss of licence.

Also because the offence was before the new laws you only loose it for 6months instead of 12 as said above.

My laywer helped me a lot, and i advise getting one, and saving your cash, as it can cost up to the 3grand mark.

My Laywer was Michael Woods from Woods and Co. 64 Grote St Adelaide 5000 (08) 8231 2347

Ex Cop, very good but all good things cost MONEY!

Thanx to all who let me know what sentence/punishment they recived its good to get an idea of what to expect. Just to be clear I was on my P's at the time but am now on my fulls im 21. I know it carries mandatory 6 months or 'as the court sees fit" and a fine between 300-800 but was just wondering what others had actually received. As far as a lawyer goes they cant get me off dangerous driving and my court date is wed 14th I only had 2 weeks notice so dont have bulk cash saved up for one...Hoefully its no more than 6 months a year i couldnt handle with the money ill save I think ill get my power fc ,injectors, AFM and with my other mods should get my 250rwkw!!!

Thanx again guys

Edited by kounj002

mate of mine got done on his bike. lost his license for 3 years.

was done for multiple things, plus he'd lost his license in the past.

all that and a shithosue lawyer = bad result.

wonder if he's learned yet?

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ lol i beg to differ last 3x ive been pulled over havnt been defected and the 2nd 1 i told him i had a turbo timer and he olny told me 'i could defect you for that'

you need to know how to speak to them

sumtimes no mater how u speak to them cause of wot uve dont there gunna give u a canairy