SAU Community

Arc Intercoolers

I have seen a few people mention ARC intercoolers, and some have mentioned that their piping design is better than others because they have the intercooler feed and exit on the same side of the core.

I found that Perfect Run has ARC "Turn Flow" intercoolers 470x260x70mm with piping etc for under $1000.

My question is: would this kit be better than say a 600x300x76mm cooler like the GKTech (even though the GKTeck is alot cheaper), or a Trust one or something like that.

Quite a few people say that the GKTech coolers are the best value for money, but would the ARC be better for response and less turbo lag with it having a shorter piping track and smaller core, or is it just not worth the extra money.

The other mods I am planning on is full exhaust, 10psi & Apexi PFC (maybe 180rwkw), pure street car, not race.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For $400 the Gktech FMIC Kit will be MORE then enough for any street powered skyline... the $600 you save will be 2/3 of the price of an Apexi Power FC which you will need if you want your R33 running 100% reliable..

When you go for a full engine rebuild and larger turbo and want to run 20+ psi then yes i would say go for a name brand such as plazmaman, ARC, HKS .etc. but for anything up to 18psi (hi flowed turbo) the GKtech FMIC Kit will be perfect...

Cheers

its the old saying, you get what you pay for, yes it is more expensive but for good reason. In answering your question, yes it will be more efficient because the charge will stay cooler due to the shorter pipes and there routing. your throttle response will be the same also. People on here will tell you that there are cheaper kits, but i think spending x amount of money on a cooler that does half the job is more a waste than spending more on a cooler kit that does a good job.

And before you all get on here and start whinging, this is only advise that i am giving the guy. Which ever way he decides to go is up to him and or yourselves. I am just answering his question which was which kit is better, not cheaper.

I have seen a few people mention ARC intercoolers, and some have mentioned that their piping design is better than others because they have the intercooler feed and exit on the same side of the core.

I found that Perfect Run has ARC "Turn Flow" intercoolers 470x260x70mm with piping etc for under $1000.

My question is: would this kit be better than say a 600x300x76mm cooler like the GKTech (even though the GKTeck is alot cheaper), or a Trust one or something like that.

Quite a few people say that the GKTech coolers are the best value for money, but would the ARC be better for response and less turbo lag with it having a shorter piping track and smaller core, or is it just not worth the extra money.

The other mods I am planning on is full exhaust, 10psi & Apexi PFC (maybe 180rwkw), pure street car, not race.

For $400 the Gktech FMIC Kit will be MORE then enough for any street powered skyline... the $600 you save will be 2/3 of the price of an Apexi Power FC which you will need if you want your R33 running 100% reliable..

When you go for a full engine rebuild and larger turbo and want to run 20+ psi then yes i would say go for a name brand such as plazmaman, ARC, HKS .etc. but for anything up to 18psi (hi flowed turbo) the GKtech FMIC Kit will be perfect...

Cheers

Thanks mate, I will be getting a PFC anyway, irrespective of what cooler I get. I have no doubt that the GKTech kit will do the job fine, but after seeing a couple of threads about people losing power and response because they upgraded to a large 600x300x80 (or whatever) cooler, I figured that the ARC would reduce turbo lag (therefore making the car more responsive), and potentially be more efficient because of the smaller core and shorter pipes. I was just wondering if the ARC kit would be worth the extra money. You mentioned that the GKTech kit will be MORE than enough for a street skyline, but my concern is that it might be TOO much. Once I sell my Commodore, I will have a few $$ to spend, I want what is best, not necessarily cheapest.

Edited by Quinny

ARC kit is the way to go. no doubt. I have NFI what paulR33 is trying to say about a stock GTR cooler (better than GKtech? or better than ARC?), but considering you have a GTST whether a stock GTR cooler is better or not is not really relevant...

ARC kit will be much nicer than the chinese kits. i say go for it.

ARC are the beezkneez.

Pick up a 2ndhand unit off ebay maybe, probably the best way to 'afford' one.

A simple flush (50/50 kero/metho) wil have it as good as new..... =)

ARC are the beezkneez.

Pick up a 2ndhand unit off ebay maybe, probably the best way to 'afford' one.

A simple flush (50/50 kero/metho) wil have it as good as new..... =)

Good to hear, I have heard people say some good things about ARC. I have no problem paying $1000 or whatever for the cooler, as long as I know I paying for good quality. sounds like the ARC kit is the way to go. Thanks for the help guys.

I recently removed my TRUST cooler for a ARC twin entry. The difference is undescribable.....Its a different car ! more mid range ...helll more power absolutely everywere. The low restriction type tubes on the inlet side (where they flare out) make the would of difference. I WILL never buy TRUST again.

I recently removed my TRUST cooler for a ARC twin entry. The difference is undescribable.....Its a different car ! more mid range ...helll more power absolutely everywere. The low restriction type tubes on the inlet side (where they flare out) make the would of difference. I WILL never buy TRUST again.

Thats what I like to hear. I will be putting in an order for an ARC cooler very shortly....

I always wanted a ARC cooler from day one!! most ppl i have spoken to are always saying why spend so much on a cooler when a 400 dollar one can do same job.. Which is fair enough coz you can save a lot of money and use it elsewhere.

But let me know how it goes eh!! And once you installed it please write some description and post up pics.

Cheers man

The main reason I am going for an ARC is for better response and decreased turbo lag. I have seen a few people (on various forums) complaining about loss of response and power after fitting a large cooler (like a 600x300x80). The ARC kit from Perfect Run is not that expensive, about $1100 or so including freight from japan. Yeah, it is more expensive than a GKTech kit, but it seems like the benefits will be worth it.

I will get some pics and details of the install up as soon as it is done. I am just waiting on the buyer for my SS Commy to come up with the cash.

I always wanted a ARC cooler from day one!! most ppl i have spoken to are always saying why spend so much on a cooler when a 400 dollar one can do same job.. Which is fair enough coz you can save a lot of money and use it elsewhere.

But let me know how it goes eh!! And once you installed it please write some description and post up pics.

Cheers man

Put it this way - I believe in quality items too, but on a budget.

I picked up an Apexi GT Hybrid intercooler off Japan eBay for around $450 delivered. An Apexi GT Hybrid is a half/half intercooler from what I can tell - half tube & fin and half bar & plate design. It utilises the standard engine bay piping holes (called return feed), which is what I was looking for.

It was in awesome condition, hardly even req'd a flush, and just rebent a couple of fins. Looked brand new (almost) once Id readied it. Plus it fits snugly into my Dayz front bar.

Thats they way to do it! Keep looking and you'l find what youre after for whatever budget youre on. Ive seen the bigarsed ARC coolers for around $700 on ebay before.

Put it this way - I believe in quality items too, but on a budget.

Maybe buying proper Hybrid coolers is the way to go as well. Quailty and resonably priced..

Meh i dont need anything fancy. An r34 cooler is good enough for me, if im not gonna be pushing more than 10-12psi at most.

I will probably get the 470x260x70mm cooler, that is the only one which Perfect Run advertise, and that will probably be a pretty nice size for my level of modification. The smaller core should also help with response and turbo lag (well, that is the idea anyway).

I will have a look at Ebay to see if there is any decent coolers there, but as I said before, I don't mind paying $1000 for a good cooler.

The Apexi GT Hybrid sounds good too.

Maybe buying proper Hybrid coolers is the way to go as well. Quailty and resonably priced..

Meh i dont need anything fancy. An r34 cooler is good enough for me, if im not gonna be pushing more than 10-12psi at most.

Define 'proper Hybrid'

They are exactly the same intercoolers as sold by places like GK Tech, Just Jap etc etc

Back on the topic, ARC is about the best you can buy, and the Apexi GT intercoolers are also very very good

i will repeat what a knowledgeable friend in japan said to me when asked about ARC coolers.

"ooh, A R SHEE, nice maker, high price, high kwarity. nice parts."