SAU Community

Random Engine Knock Reading And Cold Starts

hi,

i've just had my car tune. it was done as a safe tune... (ecu is pfc)

but i was at the race track this weekend doing some drifting and on the straight i got a engine knock of around 70, this was a one off high value. for my other runs i wasnt getting a knock reading higher than 20 or so.

was this just a random knock or is a problem and if so what should i do to address it?

(im running most aftermarket gear fuelpump,injectors,turbo,fmic,exhuast etc)

Also, i find that in the morning the car is abit hard to start, is this a general issue with aftermarket ecu. it isnt that bad but it isnt that great... if u get what im saying (its takes abit to crank over)

Thanks Michael :laugh:

Make sure the hard to start thing isn't just because of winter coming and the colder weather, could be something as simple as your battery on its way out.

Make sure the hard to start thing isn't just because of winter coming and the colder weather, could be something as simple as your battery on its way out.

i didnt have a problem with starting before the pfc and the nismo injectors where install : so im pretty sure my battery is fine

I've found the standard cranking ms time not to be the best and they do need tweaking.

With 10degree coolant temps first thing in the morning mine needs a +10degree cranking of 35ms for it to spring in to life quickly.

With the standard 24ms it takes a little to get going and some times will splutter and carry on then rev up.

35ms I've found to be perfect, nice clean quick start that flicks straight to 1600rpm.

It appeared fine during the warmer months as coolant temps first thing in the morning were always 16+ degree's, most of the time 20+degree's.

Once I saw a coolant temp first thing in the morning of 34degree's. :P

Damn that was a warm night.