SAU Community

guys i remember reading here that there are other ways of filling up the g/box with oil than th bolt on the passenger side?

ive just spent the past 1.5hours trying to undo the filler bolt (and lost some skin in the process) and it stuck.. ive tried everything...

so are there other ways to fill it up?

Could try the top through the shifter, that's where i filled mine. But it's a bit of a bitch to get the circlip on/off to get the shifter out.

You need a breaker bar. Put your leg on it... Thats how I undid my drain bolt at least.

Could try the top through the shifter, that's where i filled mine. But it's a bit of a bitch to get the circlip on/off to get the shifter out.

You need a breaker bar. Put your leg on it... Thats how I undid my drain bolt at least.

:blush: I thought this only topped up the transfer case?

When I chewed 3rd gear I dropped in another wrecker rb20det box.

The drain plug came out fine but the filler plug was and still is 100% stuck.

I used a 1.5m breaker bar, using 2 people in a pit we bent the bar, we literally chewed through the metal of the filler plug, I bought a perfect fitting socket type fitting for it so there was no slack and no chance of rounding it, we didn't round it we literally moved the metal/alloy. :P

There was no way that filler plug is coming out.

I filled mine through the shifter hole.

the main prob i have is space and not enough room to fully make use of the leverage the bar gives....

out of curiosity what size socket have u guys used, as the bolt is square i went and bought a 19mm bit from repco which seems to fit snugly..

il have another crack tomoro in the daylight....

• 1 month later...

Hey mate!

Feel sorry for you! I had this exact problem on my 33 after i had drained the box :D

What you need my friend is a very big bloke to come round and remove it for you. I had a socket set with a ring spanner on the end (no breaker bar available) and one of my mates managed to get it off.

I found mine had some thread lock on it.... was not happy....

Same problem here...couldn't get my filler plug off too...so i filled mine up thru the shifter...only thing is i didn't know how much to put in...can someone let me know exactly how much oil the rb20 box takes? cheers...