SAU Community

Need Insurance? Want Cheaper Insurance?

Has anyone ever made a claim with FAMOUS ?

THere is a very suss bit of paperwork that you must sign before receiving insurance.

along the lines of...

"your insurance contract may/has been arranged by an authorised foreign insurer that is not authorised under the Insurance Act 1973 to conduct insurance business in Australia. Such insurers are not subject to the provisions of the Act"

blah blah blah.

Not sure if this is dodgy or not but it certainly sounds it. This is why Im asking if anyone has ever made a claim

I made a claim last year following a Granma running into the back of my GTR R33. Famous were very good in settling claim etc no hassles whatsoever. The company is based in Western Australia,distance was no problem I live in NSW.

Underwriters are a British Company registered in one of their islands for I guess tax purposes. Famous have a website which is currently under reconstruction. Ring them for the name of the Underwriters and then check them through Google. I did sometime ago and remember that the underwriters were big time as insurance companies go in the world market. Also looked at some of the Directors profiles. They too ckeckout to be OK.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im getting a 95 r33 gtst.

Just cars quote was 1029/year or something like that.

Im 22, no accidents, speeding tickets, claims or anything.

Agreed value.

They are giving me a rating one as well, which is good.

1082/yr for a 180sx with shannons (ie 541 for 6 months), no extra for pay by the month

530 for 6 months with JCI (6months minimum payment)

ie $20 more a year to insure with shannons (and I'm hoping matt can make it even cheaper :O) and choice of repairer and lifetime guarantee vs

Just cars - choice of repairer IF you get a matched quote and only 3 yr guarantee

25 yrs old, rating 1, garaged in a dodgy suburb, couple of speeding tickets back in 02, no claims/accidents, a few basic mods but otherwise stock.

There you go :)

1082/yr for a 180sx with shannons (ie 541 for 6 months), no extra for pay by the month

530 for 6 months with JCI (6months minimum payment)

ie $20 more a year to insure with shannons (and I'm hoping matt can make it even cheaper :banana:)

Kaz180, PM sent :)

No worries James, glad to help :)

P.S, did you want me to add a front mount intercooler to your policy as per that pic in your signature? hehe

Edited by _8OO5TED_

Watch out with famous theyve got a policy that if you have a write off situation and your at fault they wont let you reinsure with them again. Thats their "company policy" So much for looking after their coustomers, even when you want to stay with them. Nice !

* Post Updated, see below.

I am posting this in the hope that it is helpful to anyone after a new insurance policy.

Date: 13/02/2006

Vehicle: 1989 HR32 GT-R

No accididents in last 5 years

1 Speeding ticket in last 5 years

No previous Insurance

Car parked in lockup garage at night

Personal use

Unlimited Mods

---------------------------------------------

Vigil Insurance (http://www.vigilins.com.au/)Ph: 1300 134 054

Policy Price: 1,029.40

Amount of Cover: $25,000 (agreed value)

Excess: $500

Choice of Repairer

Pay By The Month

1 Free glass claim per year

Free 24/7 Road side assistance with every policy

*Policy Specifics to note: What is not covered.

If you park Your Motor Vehicle on a street at night time at

the address nominated in the Schedule.

Famous Classic Car Insurance

Policy Price: $850 per annum

Amount of cover: $20,000 (no agreed value)

Excess $1000

Choice of repairer

Pay by the month

1 free windscreen claim per year

Just Car Insurance

Policy Price: $1,268.00

Amount Of Cover: $20,000 (no agreed value)

Excess: for Theft $2,400.00, Accident and

cannot name party at fault $2,400

Accident $1,800

Choice of repairers as long as the quotes are below what their preferred repairers offer.

No pay by the month

Shannon's

Policy Price: $1,277.48

Amount of cover: $25,000 (agreed value)

Excess: $500

Choice of repairer

Pay by the month

1 free windscreen claim per year

Vigil is a clear winner for me.

Regards,

Ben.

Just went on there online system to get a qoute and after filling in the first page it said in big flashing yellow letter "vigil does not insure nissan skylines"

Whats with that?

'I can assure you they do as mine is insured through them. You probably have to ring them though most online quotes dont like do imports

Just went on there online system to get a qoute and after filling in the first page it said in big flashing yellow letter "vigil does not insure nissan skylines"

Whats with that?

I must also add my thanks to Matt from Shannons for hooking me up.

Your help was above and beyond, you are a real asset to Shannons and I would be happy to put that in writing if needed.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 3 weeks later...

you achieve a rating each year you have insurance without making an at fault claim. you begin with no rating, then you increase to 4 then 3 then 2 and so on until reaching a rating 1. each rating you increase, you get a larger discount, this is one of the contributing factors as to why many young people have higher premiums as they have had less insurance history, hense a lower rating.

P.S Im still happy to help out any of you guys with Insurance if I can. Just PM me... :yes:

Edited by _8OO5TED_

you achieve a rating each year you have insurance without making an at fault claim. you begin with no rating, then you increase to 4 then 3 then 2 and so on until reaching a rating 1. each rating you increase, you get a larger discount, this is one of the contributing factors as to why many young people have higher premiums as they have had less insurance history, hense a lower rating.

P.S Im still happy to help out any of you guys with Insurance if I can. Just PM me... :P

do all companies have the same rating system, like if u get up to rating 2, and change companies, your stillon rating 2 right? also, a mate just got a 33 GTS-4 non-turbo, hes just turned 18, im not 100% sure, but im guessing its classed at a risky area... (dandenong in Vic for those who know it) and just cars want 2500, to me this sounds a bit high, as another friend with a turbo 34 GT-t is only payin about a grand more. also, from wot i was told by my mate, his excess is only $650 (for the 33 that is), does that sound right, or would that be excess on third party cover? and does ur rating go up if u only have third party cover, or do u have to have full comp. sorry, i know theres alot of questions, but we're lookin at an insurance policy by tomoro

cheers guys,

Ben

do all companies have the same rating system, like if u get up to rating 2, and change companies, your stillon rating 2 right? also, a mate just got a 33 GTS-4 non-turbo, hes just turned 18, im not 100% sure, but im guessing its classed at a risky area... (dandenong in Vic for those who know it) and just cars want 2500, to me this sounds a bit high, as another friend with a turbo 34 GT-t is only payin about a grand more. also, from wot i was told by my mate, his excess is only $650 (for the 33 that is), does that sound right, or would that be excess on third party cover? and does ur rating go up if u only have third party cover, or do u have to have full comp. sorry, i know theres alot of questions, but we're lookin at an insurance policy by tomoro

cheers guys,

Ben

Ben, all companies use the same 'rating' system. your rating should carry from one company to another. your 18 year old friend may have a very low rating, hense the high premium, the $650 excess is a good one if thats the case. all companies have different excess so i wouldnt know if that was full comp or third party. with third party cover, u can still increase your rating, however u may go up 1 rating every 2 years rather than every year, again all companies are different.

hope that makes sense and helps...

Ben, all companies use the same 'rating' system. your rating should carry from one company to another. your 18 year old friend may have a very low rating, hense the high premium, the $650 excess is a good one if thats the case. all companies have different excess so i wouldnt know if that was full comp or third party. with third party cover, u can still increase your rating, however u may go up 1 rating every 2 years rather than every year, again all companies are different.

hope that makes sense and helps...

sure does, cheers 8OO5TED. i'll give famous a call tomoro for ma mate, see how much better we can do, although $650 is pretty good for excess...

thanks again,

Ben

• 1 month later...