SAU Community

Cop Saying That My Exhaust Doesnt Meet Epa Requirements?

TracidTrax

I got pulled up by TMU on Saturday night and the cop looked at my exhaust. He said he cant see any mufflers so he wrote that on the defect list saying it doesnt meet EPA requirements. i told him that i have a cat and the exhaust isnt loud and he is like ye i know.

Can a cop do that? How does he know it doesnt meet EPA requirements? Can i take any action?

Yep Ronin is right, I think it is more one of those things though if you get done for it your really being picked on as most of the time all they care about is noise and cat.....

Oh by the way I love your car it looks awesome, I was at the supra dyno day with Haydon the other week. Where bouts did you take the photo of it in you sig, wanna know if it's where I think it is :P

no really you just have to get it cleared, i had the samething ended up just getting a exhaust shop to do the test and it was cleared

ok, so what happens if u get pulled up again and they try and get u for it again 6 months down the track? even if u still have the papers to proove it passed they can just say u have changed something in the exhaust

yes he is right - if the car originally had 2 mufflers, you must have 2 mufflers on the after market system.

do they consider the exhaust tip a muffler? i got done by EPA in my old NA Supra cause it was too loud, all i got done to it was put a new muffler in and a smaller exhuast tip and it passed when i had to take it to them in Mcloud

Yep Ronin is right, I think it is more one of those things though if you get done for it your really being picked on as most of the time all they care about is noise and cat.....

Oh by the way I love your car it looks awesome, I was at the supra dyno day with Haydon the other week. Where bouts did you take the photo of it in you sig, wanna know if it's where I think it is :P

ye thx man, ill tell u but first tell me where u think it is taken :P

oh by the way just got back from a qualified EPA tester and i passed, i got 86dB so what was the problem? I also rang up VIC roads roadworthyness department and spoke to an engineer and told them the cop told me to get mufflers, he asked me if it was loud or was it blowing smoke and i said no. He then told me to get the EPA test and if it passes go back and speak to the officer who issued the defect

If its a defect notice, your on a winner

simple

Take them to court, you will win.

You get damages etc etc etc

Its a small victory, because at the end of the day the officer isnt reprimanded at all. He is free to go and abuse the law again.

But you also send a letter to the ombudsman, his senior @ the station he is at etc etc etc.

Asking for an explaination (after you win the case)

Make it a little painful for him

If the exhaust is legal, dont matter about mufflers.

I'd like to see the ADR stating that a sports exhaust requires there to be the same amount of mufflers.

The "same number" ruling only applies to the Cat Convertors

at the end of the day you are always in the wrong until proven otherwise

the cop can defect for whatever they deem reasonable in their eyes of the rules (wether its correct or not is another story)

the cops dont have meetings with EPA weekly to get updates on changes etc so they dont know the rules 100% but they certainly know the common stuff and when they can usually issue a defect. its then upto the corresponding vic roads / EPA dudes to do their job and clear it or reject it as required

6 months later, the same thing can occur, same defect and same belief, and youll have to go get it cleared again.

If its a defect notice, your on a winner

simple

Take them to court, you will win.

You get damages etc etc etc

umm no, who told u this? There are no damages for defects. Up 2 u to prove ur car is roadworthy.

the cops dont have meetings with EPA weekly to get updates on changes etc so they dont know the rules 100% but they certainly know the common stuff and when they can usually issue a defect. its then upto the corresponding vic roads / EPA dudes to do their job and clear it or reject it as required

both these cops didnt even know the common stuff, cant believe they were part of the TMU. Well do u think i have weekly meetings with EPA?

Cop made 2 critical errors. Exhaust being one of them and the other was him writing the wrong date on the canary. He wrote on the defect paper my car must not be driven after 7 days if i dont get the RWC but wrote on the canary that my car must not be driven on the same date. Now what would happen if i get pulled over by another cop and he see's on the canary that i cant be driving my car even though on my defect paper i can? i reckon i would get booked.

IMO cops dont know shit

Am I nice because I just put the EPA form in on cars and don't bother putting the car off the road. You are right that most cops don't know much about import cars, just loud exhausts and BOV to EPA etc. I only EPA them though if they have poor attitude or driving like a wanker making import drivers look bad.

i think you are forgetting you are illegally driving that vehicle in victoria. so the second you pipe up they will take you down so i suggest you cop it sweet and move on. you have no leg to stand on driving the illegally so be happy you got off with nothing major