SAU Community

Stagea Exhausts

It's only happened since Bosimporting changed manufacturers for their SS split front/dump pipes, basically instead of having an open mouth and a splitter, on the dump pipe flange, they've changed it to a pipe that actually fits inside the exhaust outlet on the turbo (to achieve a good seal).

As most of you know the highflowed turbo has a much larger exhaust outlet, so the pipe on the dump pipe flange is way too small now.

What I had to do was, take my split front/dump and get the pipe removed and the hole enlarged for the exhaust outlet, and have a splitter welded in.

Heres some pics that will help explain it.

The original style, with open mouth and splitter (will suit highflow)

post-17348-1150439647.jpg

And the new style (which i think is only with the SS one) Give Michael @ BOS a call and he'll confirm it,

they may be doing them all like this now, i don't know.

post-17348-1150439913.jpg

Edited by beastien

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could you please explain? i've just gotten myself a hi-flo, and i thought they used the exact same turbo housing as the standard turbo. why would this mean any standard dump pipe wouldn't work? i've got a custom mild steel dump, nothing flash but i just don't want to have to fork out for mods to my exhaust if this turbo is different

The current trend in split dumps is to extend the turbine pipe past the flange and inside the turbine cover. It fits neatly/tightly inside the turbine cover. This stops any chance of wastegate exhaust contaminating the flow (causing turbulence) from the turbine. The more common style has a little bridge that is welded to the dump pipe flange and stops 99% of the cross contamination. The pipe extension is a better system, it stops 100%.

The problem with the pipe extension style of dump is when you get the turbo high flowed they machine out the turbine cover and the extension pipe is then too small to fit tightly/neatly into the larger hole.

So if you are intending to get a high flow later on you need to order the more common style with the bridge that fits both standard and high flow turbine covers.

:rofl: cheers :)

I have just ordered a SS split dump with the pipe extension. I do not intend to hi-flow the turb so am happy with it as is. However, is there any reason in the future why the pipe could not be shortened from its current length, or modified to suit?

ahh, i get it. no worries on my end then, i don't have that flange. old school!

However, is there any reason in the future why the pipe could not be shortened from its current length, or modified to suit?

It can be modified, this is what i had to get done, the pipe can just be shortened, but the hole has to be enlarged to suit the larger exhaust housing outlet on the turbo, and a splitter welded in to separate the wastgate gasses.

It was basically a big hassle for me, had to take the pipe to get modified, took a couple of days, cost $150, and was far from a straight swap over, which installing a highflow normally is.

Just my angle, I don't think you would go from what you have to a split now Brendan but maybe from standard this is a better option?

Luke

For sure; always comes down to budget & cash at hand, tho.

So, if you've got $500 to grab a split dump system then sure do it.... when I did my first bout of tuning it was all about being on a tight budget at the time, and still is.

I can sell my dump pipe at anytime and uprade, but really at this stage of the cars tune (160akw) its a hole and flows thru exhaust gasses pretty damn well for its price.

Just waiting until the time is right. :(

ok, this infromation is great thanks for the responses, but the turbo that is on my car is at GCG GT30, will i still have to modify the dump?

If you can get the pipe with an open mouth and splitter (like the first of the pictures i posted) it'll fit no worries.

Talk to michael at BOS Importing, tell him what turbo you have, and i'm sure he will sort it out for you.

well i just picked up my exhaust from Unique AutoSports in castle hill,

i got the catco metal inside cat, and a mild steel split dump pipe, with ceramic coating.

I spoke to John at UAS, he is very helpful and knows his stuff.

anyways, here are some pics

06-06-19_19-02.jpg

06-06-19_19-04.jpg

06-06-19_19-03.jpg

EGA when you get the dump and cat fitted can you please let us know whether it is a noticeable power upgrade?

How did the front mount feel once fitted over the side mount?

Also is the dump that you bought suit Hi Flow Turbo`s?

Edited by FLYSLY

sweet well i got a pm from batmbl today and he said that there will be a group buy on stainless dump/front to suit r33 and 32 stags etc... soon so will be purchasing one then

Hey Ega, dump pipes are like people, they dont breath too well with plastic bags over their heads. :D .....hah ha :huh:

I know, it's late and I'm tired...

lol, i'll try to remember to take it off when i get it installed Darrin.

EGA when you get the dump and cat fitted can you please let us know whether it is a noticeable power upgrade?

How did the front mount feel once fitted over the side mount?

Also is the dump that you bought suit Hi Flow Turbo`s?

yeah no worries. i'll post it up once i get it done

front mount made a slight difference but at the stage im at with mods, it is mostly a cosmetic upgrade, if i was making more power then im sure it would make more of a difference.

will suit high flow fine

sweet well i got a pm from batmbl today and he said that there will be a group buy on stainless dump/front to suit r33 and 32 stags etc... soon so will be purchasing one then

the stainless steel one from BATMBL is not suitable for a high flow.

Hmmm ok, he said that the stainless one that will be available in the upcoming GB would suit hi flow and non hi flow.

Guess i will just have to wait and see

Cheers

EGA - that cat/dump is the same as mine. It is made by BTMBL or least is IDENTICAL to the one that he made me. I wouldnt be surprized if he supplied UAS.

On another note, my cats detached from its case (metal honey comb moves around)