SAU Community

Expected Engine Life ?

Hey people,

looking at a few r34 gt-t's. there are alot of hight km (100 000+) on the market at very reasonable prices. what are the life expectancy, risks, turbo life etc on say a mild mod, regular seviced vehical? how many km's have you done? and what problems if any have you incured?? and info would be appreciated. regards Damian :devil:

Hey people,

looking at a few r34 gt-t's. there are alot of hight km (100 000+) on the market at very reasonable prices. what are the life expectancy, risks, turbo life etc on say a mild mod, regular seviced vehical? how many km's have you done? and what problems if any have you incured?? and info would be appreciated. regards Damian :devil:

hey mate, i just recently bought a gtt, only done 34ks when i picked it up, and got it for $29.5k, insured with justcar, reasonable cost.. around 2900

3 year warrenty on all parts, is running great atm, high boosted it couple time, otherwise runs on 6psi..

watelse, got catback and couple aftermarket gauges and controller, pretty stock otherwise

hope this helped..

Mines done 86K and is still smooth as, even though i thrash it a bit. Feels similar to when i got it which was 60K. I change the oil rougly every 5K klms - note it isn't the smoothest 6 around so you may think it sounds rough when you first drive it. btw mine's fairly stock.

I would be quite surprised if the k's in the previous post are genuine (tho not sure of medel yr)- i wouldn't trust a pre 2000 model that's done less than 40K. Make sure you change filters and belts espicially if 100,000 service hasn't been done.

The expected engine life of all these RB engines are rated at at least 250,000kms. Read that somewhere, i'll try to put the article up.

The NEO RB25s are improved versions from the older RB25. The 34 shouldn't have a problem up to 300,000kms i reckon. Just look at those RB20s and RB26s in the R32 GTRs, most of them are still running really well even after 160ks.

My 2 Cs

I wouldn't place a huge focus on kilometers, for one thing most skylines odometers have been tampered with. When you test a car you can gauge by the condition of interior (wear on g/stick s/wheel, drivers seat, etc) and how it drives as to the condition of the car and engine, plus get a mechanical inspection. If the engine is in good running order, and u change oil every 5,000km and service every 10,000km you should have a very long running engine.

My family still has a nissan '82 bluebird with over 400,000km that still runs, despite not being looked after nearly as well as it could have been. Nissan engines are generally quite reliable and built to last and if well looked after will go for ages.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by r32line