SAU Community

3d Animation - Cosworth Vs R34

anthonymcgrath

hi guys I'm Anthony and I'm based in the UK - I picked up my skyline R33gtst in January of this year after making a computer animation featuring two of my fave cars and then deciding I couldn't wait any longer hah!

The project was a 5month task I set myself to make a 1minute intro a bit like the need-for-speed-underground stuff. I modelled up two of my fave cars the R34 and the sierra cosworth RS500 which took about 6-8weeks each (first time car modelling in 3d), I then animated them racing round a cityscape and drifting on a long road and then composited the animation and made it look wet n rainy. I also did the sound although I pinched some from need for speed hehehe!

Now we all know the GTR would decimate the cossie (and whether it would or wouldn't we'll say it will cos we own skylines hehehehe ..not biased guv!) but see what you think - comments welcome....

quicktime movie 400x320pixels (about 25mb)

R34_vs_cosworth_final_animation

So you are the creator? I have seen this on a number of UK forums and a couple of the main Ford ones there. Well done. As far as I remember from the postings on the forums no credit was given, just that "someone" had done them.

hi guys thanks for the comments - yeah I'm the creator of the animation hehe

thought I'd post it up here as I didn't know if it had been seen over there but apparently its done

the rounds worldwide it would seem hehe :laugh: god bless the internet

the animation was done using alias/autodesk maya and took about 5-6months total but that included modelling, animation, rendering and compositing. I got inspired off all the need for speed intros and thought i'd have a shot myself really as work wasn't really providing me any kind of challenge!

I could have done it quicker if working on it full time but i only had evenings and a coupla wkends to dedicate.

I reckon I could do it a heap load better too seeing as later versions of software have all these clever render layer tools and advanced

rendering tricks hehe!

it was a fun project to do tho and I would love to do another for a vid game or something :cool:

glad you all like tho :laugh:

Edited by anthonymcgrath

I aint got a copy in the office at present to upload I'm afraid but if anyone can download it and get a copy up on utube that'd be cool :happy:

savefile is a bit kooky from time to time - its very on and off but it does download :(

Out of interest what did you use to create the car.. did you get a someone to give you a laser print of the car (or whatever they do) or did you do it by hand??..

Looks amazing.. I've done some 3D Studio Max rendering and it's not the easiest to get such amazing detail on the cars

hi links

I did the animation using profile images - the kind you find on th side of airfix car model boxes hehe. These can be found on sites like www.suurland.com That and a heap of reference images from other sites like gtroc.co.uk and skylineowners.com :laugh: other than that they were manually modelled. I reckon I could have put more detail in (full interior etc...) but I'll save that for another project :O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, for those who cant view it, im uploading it now to youtube with credits of course. Just do a search for ford cosworth gtr and it should find it ...

Cheers

ps. awesome animation. did you storyboard it at all or was it a put it together as you go thing? ...