SAU Community

Drift Australia Series This Weekend - Queensland Raceway

Boaty

Queensland drivers are expected to strike back in a ‘state of origin’ like battle next weekend at Queensland Raceway.

Australia’s best drivers converge on Queensland Raceway for Round 2 of the Toyo Drift Australia Series on June 24 – 25. Queensland current sits close to the bottom of the series state-of-origin points table behind all of its southern state rivals.

SA 967 points

NSW 790 points

VIC 746 points

QLD 668 points

WA 285 points

South Australian drivers Leighton Fine and Kelly McKinnon dominated the opening round of the series at Mallala but the home track advantage will favor top Queensland drivers for the second round including 2005 Drift Australia Series Champion Darren Appleton.

Appleton suffered an engine failure at the opening round while fellow Queenslander Robbie Bolger broke the rear suspension on his Holden Monaro during a battle with SA rival Kelly McKinnon.

“Leighton and Kelly did a great job at Mallala but they will be playing in our backyard at round 2 so they shouldn’t be too cocky.” said Appleton.

“We were robbed at the first round” said Bolger. “Danny Kenneally got punted off the road by Darren Mews from NSW who ended up in 3rd place and Appleton and I had car problems. The South Australian drivers are over-rated in my opinion. They’ll get their butts kicked at Queensland Raceway.” said Bolger.

“That’s typical Bolger” said McKinnon. “He’s got the biggest engine in the field and the biggest mouth. He’s always got an excuse too. The highest placed Queenslander in the championship is in 10th and Bolger himself is 18th so I don’t think he’s really much of a threat. Perhaps he should trade the Holden V8 in on a Toyota Sprinter or Nissan Skyline and he might find his way on to the podium one day.” McKinnon said.

Series leader Leighton Fine made a perfect start to the season by qualifying and finishing in 1st place at the opening round. He would not be drawn in to the state of origin argument. “Appleton is the reigning champion so I'm sure he will do well at the second round. I won the privateer class at Queensland Raceway last year though so I am reasonably confident too. You don’t need to win every round to win the series. Consistency is the key.” said Fine.

Championship points table after round 1 (top 10):-

Position Driver State Points

1 Leighton Fine, SA, 500

2 Kelly McKinnon SA, 467

3 Darren Mews NSW, 424

4 Michael Truscott VIC, 378

5 Adam Newton VIC, 368

6 Beau Yates NSW, 366

7 Mark Marcheson SA, 359

8 Danny Vahoumis SA, 348

9 Nathan Weissel NSW, 338

10 Danny Kenneally QLD, 337

post-24036-1150707453.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tempted, I know there's a dyno day but as it stands it wont go ahead due to a lack of interest. I'm on the northside also, so it'd be easy to hook up for the cruise. Will let you know soon.